Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brighton i360 construction update.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ;7101838 said:
It will eventually look like a giant penis buttf*cking a metal donut.

If you say so.

Is that a similar description to the CN Tower in Toronto, the Fernsehturn in Berlin or the Needle in Seattle?

I repeat, it will look brilliant.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
If you say so.

Is that a similar description to the CN Tower in Toronto, the Fernsehturn in Berlin or the Needle in Seattle?

I agree, Far too many moaners here, it will be iconic and lit up at night will be fantastic. I for one cannot wait for it to be finished :)

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
It will look very different.

Large towers with no apparent use become iconic and this will be no exception. It will look great, and will become a focal point of our city. I am really looking forward to seeing it (and find it quite impressive already).

Of course it will become a landmark but it really isn't an impressive one. As I said it's the building equivalent of the Emperor's New Clothes but its saving grace is that it will probably look better at night when it is lit up.

Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ

Hove / Παρος
Apr 7, 2006
Hove / Παρος
If you say so.

Neither the CN Tower, the Space Needle or the Fernsehturm show penetration in motion.

In all honesty I'm messing about, but the i360 is a very clumsy and disproportional. The three other towers you mentioned are all have good proportions for a tower ie. thicker at the base and more slender at the top. The i360 is uniform throughout and just looks clumsy.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ;7101858 said:
Neither the CN Tower, the Space Needle or the Fernsehturm show penetration in motion.

In all honesty I'm messing about, but the i360 is a very clumsy and disproportional. The three other towers you mentioned are all have good proportions for a tower ie. thicker at the base and more slender at the top. The i360 is uniform throughout and just looks clumsy.

Yeah, penetration would be tricky if the girth is not uniform :eek:

I think the penetration aspect, and the uniquness of this, is going to be part of the attraction. And I still think it looks brilliant.

So there.

gregbrighton

Aug 10, 2014
Brighton
Can we kick politicians off the top of it especially of the Green hipster sandal wearing yoghurt knitting tree hugging variety who put this monstrosity up in the first place....

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I want to like it and I do appreciate the engineering, but as much as I keep trying to pull the wool over my own eyes it looks crap. It will do the same for iconic architecture and design as what the Emperor's New Clothes did for the fashion industry, in fact the two are quite comparable.

When we look at iconic constructions around the world we can take away some satisfaction from their beauty and even sexyness, which can be appreciated time and again, but the i360 doesn’t give anything back in this respect. The Spinnaker Tower enhances Portsmouth's skyline visually but what we have will always be described as a giant pole. In reality it’s more Ikea than iconic.

Hopefully lit up at night it will make up for what it looks like during the day, but I am not convinced that it will attract more visitors to the city than what we do already because we are a must visit city anyway.

If there had been a plan to build a new super pier with a tower at the end of it out to sea it would have made some sense, but right up close dumped on the seafront makes it look like a half baked idea for the area.
Fair rant, I just hope you're wrong. As I've said before, it will look good when the pod is up, and not so good when it's parked at the bottom.

Tarpon

Sep 12, 2013
BN1
image.jpeg

Took this sat. It's deffo a bit wonky.

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
I want to like it and I do appreciate the engineering, but as much as I keep trying to pull the wool over my own eyes it looks crap. It will do the same for iconic architecture and design as what the Emperor's New Clothes did for the fashion industry, in fact the two are quite comparable.

When we look at iconic constructions around the world we can take away some satisfaction from their beauty and even sexyness, which can be appreciated time and again, but the i360 doesn’t give anything back in this respect. The Spinnaker Tower enhances Portsmouth's skyline visually but what we have will always be described as a giant pole. In reality it’s more Ikea than iconic.

Hopefully lit up at night it will make up for what it looks like during the day, but I am not convinced that it will attract more visitors to the city than what we do already because we are a must visit city anyway.

If there had been a plan to build a new super pier with a tower at the end of it out to sea it would have made some sense, but right up close dumped on the seafront makes it look like a half baked idea for the area.

Sexyness? (sic) Sexyness!

Either you get a lot more out of architecture than I do or your love life is sadly lacking.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
It looks awful. It adds nothing and only detracts.

A vanity project for those who approved the money. Shameful.

ofco8

May 18, 2007
Brighton

Have to say my view on the whole project is swinging to your point of view. I really wanted to like it but now think the siting is wrong and not now impressed with the design. The original computer produced vision was of a much more slender pole and much more elegant. I know it is not finished but what there is left to show of the poles completion will not enhance it much more.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Any plans, for when the pod brakes fail, and it (with everyone inside) plummets to earth..?

Are there any cushions at the bottom? airbags? insurance..?
I'm sure there'll be one of those to soften the blow.

How long before it gets knocked down?
It won't be, it's going to fall down. Keep up.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here