Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brighton i360 construction update.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
One of the factors with the wheel is the fact that it would potentially take business away from i360, I guess. Having said that, I ran along the seafront and, bearing in mind Brighton was pretty busy, there were only about 10 people in the queue for the wheel. Maybe numbers are dwindling? I don't think it was ever going to be a long-term fixture on the seafront, was it?

i360 is going to be a massive success. The number of companies that will hire it out for private functions alone, makes it a worthwhile addition.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Apologies if pointed out before but isn't the Brighton & Hove one about three times higher? Weymouth's is just a little stick in the ground by compare.

The brighton one is huge. You can see it from Cuckmere Haven! it really is quite something to behold.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
Apologies if pointed out before but isn't the Brighton & Hove one about three times higher? Weymouth's is just a little stick in the ground by compare.

174 foot versus 531 foot.*

* according to a well known but potentially unreliable website.

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
The hydraulic block has gone so here's the full pole and a close up of the texture of the cladding.

Attachments

• P1100220.JPG
    P1100220.JPG
    496.6 KB · Views: 311
  • P1100222.JPG
    P1100222.JPG
    953.5 KB · Views: 312

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
I want to like it and I do appreciate the engineering, but as much as I keep trying to pull the wool over my own eyes it looks crap. It will do the same for iconic architecture and design as what the Emperor's New Clothes did for the fashion industry, in fact the two are quite comparable.

When we look at iconic constructions around the world we can take away some satisfaction from their beauty and even sexyness, which can be appreciated time and again, but the i360 doesn’t give anything back in this respect. The Spinnaker Tower enhances Portsmouth's skyline visually but what we have will always be described as a giant pole. In reality it’s more Ikea than iconic.

Hopefully lit up at night it will make up for what it looks like during the day, but I am not convinced that it will attract more visitors to the city than what we do already because we are a must visit city anyway.

If there had been a plan to build a new super pier with a tower at the end of it out to sea it would have made some sense, but right up close dumped on the seafront makes it look like a half baked idea for the area.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Interesting point: I'm glad I don't live in either the C or D flats in Sussex Heights - anyone with a telephoto lens will get a prime view inside those flats from the new Brighton hydrocracker.

And - one big storm in about 10 years time and we'll see how that tower does. I reckon non-Brightonians have a habit of underestimating the power of the sea and storms.

Yes, it really is a concern that the architects, engineers, weather experts, safety engineers, risk assesses, environmental strategists, and manifold other experts working on the design and construction will undoubtedly have forgotten to factor in seaside weather conditions.
I know it's Sunday and all but could you give someone a quick ring and let them know about this please. I'd really like to get this squared away by bed tonight. Cheers.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
I want to like it and I do appreciate the engineering, but as much as I keep trying to pull the wool over my own eyes it looks crap. It will do the same for iconic architecture and design as what the Emperor's New Clothes did for the fashion industry, in fact the two are quite comparable.

When we look at iconic constructions around the world we can take away some satisfaction from their beauty and even sexyness, which can be appreciated time and again, but the i360 doesn’t give anything back in this respect. The Spinnaker Tower enhances Portsmouth's skyline visually but what we have will always be described as a giant pole. In reality it’s more Ikea than iconic.

Hopefully lit up at night it will make up for what it looks like during the day, but I am not convinced that it will attract more visitors to the city than what we do already because we are a must visit city anyway.

If there had been a plan to build a new super pier with a tower at the end of it out to sea it would have made some sense, but right up close dumped on the seafront makes it look like a half baked idea for the area.

It's. Not. Finished.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
It won't look much different when it is, and in reality it is more suited to Alton Towers.

It will look very different.

Large towers with no apparent use become iconic and this will be no exception. It will look great, and will become a focal point of our city. I am really looking forward to seeing it (and find it quite impressive already).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here