Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brighton i360 construction update.

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
That's like comparing the Amex to The new den.

Rhyl is 240 ft and ugly and i360 is 450 and almost iPhone in its technology and design.

The height and narrowness (lacking the correct word) of the i360 the design of the pod everything is totally different.

Fundamentally the same thing though.

I prefer the one in Berlin.

Drumstick

NORTHSTANDER
Jul 19, 2003
Peacehaven
Interesting point: I'm glad I don't live in either the C or D flats in Sussex Heights - anyone with a telephoto lens will get a prime view inside those flats from the new Brighton hydrocracker.

And - one big storm in about 10 years time and we'll see how that tower does. I reckon non-Brightonians have a habit of underestimating the power of the sea and storms.

They manage buildings in typhoon areas perfectly fine if anyone honestly thinks they didn't build it to sustain the worst Sussex could chuck at it then they're crazy.

Drumstick

NORTHSTANDER
Jul 19, 2003
Peacehaven
Fundamentally the same thing though.

I prefer the one in Berlin.

So we shouldn't build anything if it's been done elsewhere in a different form? But along the same lines?

Tea break over. Catch up later

ofco8

May 18, 2007
Brighton
A letter in the Argus today asks what the evacuation procedure is if the power, or other important elements, fail when the pod is at the top full of people.

Must admit it has crossed my mind. No crane big enough.

Perhaps by helicopter through the roof of the pod?

Jul 7, 2003
A letter in the Argus today asks what the evacuation procedure is if the power, or other important elements, fail when the pod is at the top full of people.

There is a great big helter skelter hidden inside:lol:

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually

Daft question really, it uses gravity to come down.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
At any particular speed or is gravity taking care of that too?

Of course it will be an uncontrolled descent ???

But seriously, the gearing system and saftey features wouldn’t let it fall down.

The way it works is that it uses electricity to power its ascent, and when it comes down it charges and generates electricity. It doesn’t use electricity on its descent so power failure and getting stuck won’t happen.

If there was any electrical failure, it would be easier to change the fuse than evacuate 200 men, women, children, elderly and disabled down the internal 135m ladder. It would take over day to get everyone out.

Last edited:

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
It's just a big lift really, they often get stuck. The one on the side of the Spinnaker Tower in Portsmouth has never worked. I've seen The Towering Inferno, Titanic and The Poseidon Adventure etc. Things constructed by man often have inbuilt flaws that are not noticed until it's too late.
Great for BASE jumping though, if you can sneak your canopy up.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Not that unique. This is my local one in Rhyl! (Although it's been closed now)
The Rhyl tower is to the i360 what a fairground big wheel is to the London Eye.

Daft question really, it uses gravity to come down.
But what if there's a fire and the gravity is broken?

Last edited:

Drumstick

NORTHSTANDER
Jul 19, 2003
Peacehaven
I'm actually a little concern about a giant shark attack?

Have they considered it's by the sea?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here