Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Brighton & Hove Albion vs Tottenham Hotspur *** Official Match Thread ***

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
BBC Sussex interview here

https://twitter.com/bbcsussexsport/status/1578843884968288256?s=46&t=IbD7Tkeg2ItmQeergWfPVQ

He says ‘everyone makes mistakes we need the crowd to be a bit more generous with us especially in the first half. This is what the manager wants so we need a bit more positivity from the crowd, it’s hard when there is pressure from the players and crowd’

Playing like that is always going to make the crowd anxious/nervy, esp when it's against teams like spurs; not sure what he expects!

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
having taken 500 off my leicester supporting pals i will be giving it back to my totterringham supporting pals this week , not happy jan , its been a massive weekend , i'm buckled and i have to be up for work in 6.5 hrs...:cry: its gonna hurt .... i don't think ill have a drink till friday.

Sort yourself out mate. You're too old for this ???
:wink:

Affy

Silent Assassin
Aug 16, 2019
Sussex by the Sea
Different opposition, though. Spurs are one of the strongest teams in the league and set up with a very deep block (particularly after going one up). It's hard to score against bottom of the league teams when they do that, let alone spurs. Shame we didn't play them before they altered their style to more counter attacking.

That said, I felt we didn't use the wings enough last night. Would we have fared better under GP we don't know, but I think the next couple of games v teams we should be looking to pick up points against (but far from a given) will be a much better indicator of where we're at

Quite simply out tacticted. RDZ even said he expected Conte to start 3-4-2-1 and they didn’t. RDZ seemed to adapt quite quickly but we had conceded (a bit of a fluke goal tbh) by then. I think we certainly deserved a point and defended well against a very good side and made several nice chances but, as is so often the case, we’re unable to finish. But there were times when we seemed to just be standing around with the ball on the halfway line. No real urgency to attack until last few minutes. That, to me, is the most frustrating part when chasing a game. The sometimes seemingly lack of urgency to get the ball forward.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
That said, I felt we didn't use the wings enough last night. Would we have fared better under GP we don't know, but I think the next couple of games v teams we should be looking to pick up points against (but far from a given) will be a much better indicator of where we're at
It has been suggested that de Zerbi is more keen on working through the centre rather than down the wings. Bit of a shame when we've just about got Mitoma and Sarmiento ready to go.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I thought Spurs performance was Hughtonball at it’s best and played with the right players for the PL. We should be proud that Conte gave us that much respect.

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
I really hope RDZ gets a big win early on. Otherwise, there are just too many people in our home crowd who will be on his case. The moaners near me were already getting into their stride yesterday when we were knocking the ball about at the back. It’d been blissfully peaceful for a while with Potter getting results.

I’ll admit to finding some of the walking football in the first half weird to watch but when the quick forward pass changes the tempo & cuts out several opposition players, can see the reasoning. Not entirely convinced yet it will succeed in the PL - particularly the ultra high risk passes from the keeper - but I won’t be getting on anyone’s back for trying. As for passes going astray up front, seems to me RDZ wants everything first touch, which will be spectacular if/when the players get it right. While they adapt, we’ll lose the ball a bit. Especially against teams as negative as Spurs.
My concern with this quick 1-2 passing in the final third, is that we don't quite have the level or pace of finisher to take efficient advantage of any ball received within these tactical movements.( maybe Mitoma)... I would suggest this is where our recruitment in January may focus.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
My concern with this quick 1-2 passing in the final third, is that we don't quite have the level or pace of finisher to take efficient advantage of any ball received within these tactical movements.( maybe Mitoma)... I would suggest this is where our recruitment in January may focus.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Trossard scored a hat trick at Anfield playing the most sensational, quick one touch football and they could’ve been 4 goals up in 20 minutes. They still moved a Conte, low block, Spurs defence around enough to create some decent openings but we didn’t pull the trigger. Even Haaland and Foden and KDB would’ve struggled against that lot on Saturday who’d just come off the back of a NLD defeat and were extra motivated by the death of their fitness coach. Know what you’re saying but we’ll have to wait unless they until Friday to see what DZBall can do to the other 14.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Play football from the back is not an issue, playing passes to player on the 'D' of the penalty box who has an opposition player right behind him is IMO daft as is playing ball back to the keeper who has Harry Kane a couple of yards from him (or indeed Salah or Firmino etc). Also understand that part of the playing from the back is to pull opposition up the field but when you succeed in doing that you need to deliver decent balls over the top for players to chase, clearly not all the time but its a better option than trying to play through a very congested midfield. Mitoma should have been on much earlier when it was clear Spurs were just shutting up and going to defend the one goal.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Play football from the back is not an issue, playing passes to player on the 'D' of the penalty box who has an opposition player right behind him is IMO daft as is playing ball back to the keeper who has Harry Kane a couple of yards from him (or indeed Salah or Firmino etc). Also understand that part of the playing from the back is to pull opposition up the field but when you succeed in doing that you need to deliver decent balls over the top for players to chase, clearly not all the time but its a better option than trying to play through a very congested midfield. Mitoma should have been on much earlier when it was clear Spurs were just shutting up and going to defend the one goal.
This all day, I was relieved when Potter switched things up and we stopped the suicide passes out from the back. Two or three passes to midfield and off you go it seems to slow down the same process.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here