Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Brighton & Hove Albion vs Tottenham Hotspur *** Official Match Thread ***

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I not sure everyone thinks there was a fire.... but we really should be beating teams like Spurs if we want to improve on last year.

Ha ha. Very funny. The art of good comedy is to take something that is a version of a truth (for example we should be beating teams like Southampton) and then insert the altered version into a completely different context (like the new manager's first ever home game, against a top 3 side). Top work :thumbsup:

faoileán

Jan 29, 2021
I thought Spurs did a decent job on us. Outnumbered us in midfield and harried and pressured us aggressively until they took the lead. They also got back into shape very quickly whenever they lost the ball.

Second half they regularly put everyone behind the ball and challenged us to find something special to beat them. Unfortunately we couldn't.

I don't think we played badly. We weren't at our best but a decent chunk of that can be put at how Spurs played.

It's a real sign of where we are that we can be disappointed in not being at our best but still pushing Spurs close and also that Spurs were basically scared of us.

Totally this...

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
Ermm ...... I thought Citeh were rather good, and won several titles before Haaland arrived on the scene. They just didn't win games by quite so many goals!

Fair point. Defensively, Citeh at times this season have looked a shambles. How on earth Pep can start John Stones ahead of Kyle Walker (when both fully fit) is mystifying. I guess we'll see in a fortnight how well they operate against us but we'll score at least once against them.

My original thought is Tottenham have strength in depth now under a winner. Their substitutes bench was worryingly good but we had more possession, shots on target and completed passes than them. It was a good time to be playing Spurs but no disgrace in losing to a Champions League team.

Next week at Brentford will be an intriguing battle.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I am watching the highlights and it looks to me like we were the better team and created more chances than them.

Just need to continue to work on our finishing. If we had Kane and Son we would have thrashed them.

Fair point. Defensively, Citeh at times this season have looked a shambles. How on earth Pep can start John Stones ahead of Kyle Walker (when both fully fit) is mystifying. I guess we'll see in a fortnight how well they operate against us but we'll score at least once against them.

My original thought is Tottenham have strength in depth now under a winner. Their substitutes bench was worryingly good but we had more possession, shots on target and completed passes than them. It was a good time to be playing Spurs but no disgrace in losing to a Champions League team.

Next week at Brentford will be an intriguing battle.

Unfortunately Citeh will beat us with some ease, Mansour’s sports-washing cheats usually do with 11 men.

The part of the modern game I hate the most, almost non-contests due to colossal financial differences. We’ll never see a repeat of the 60’s and 70’s where everyone was beatable, Ipswich, Derby, QPR at times really competing just down to 14 great pros and a brilliant man-manager.

Not just here. PSG, Real and Bayern effortlessly scooping up 90% of domestic silverware.

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
Unfortunately Citeh will beat us with some ease, Mansour’s sports-washing cheats usually do with 11 men.

The part of the modern game I hate the most, almost non-contests due to colossal financial differences. We’ll never see a repeat of the 60’s and 70’s where everyone was beatable, Ipswich, Derby, QPR at times really competing just down to 14 great pros and a brilliant man-manager.

Not just here. PSG, Real and Bayern effortlessly scooping up 90% of domestic silverware.

For anyone growing up in the eighties, school playgrounds had dozens of plastic Liverpool fans. I think that's where I get my irrational hatred of them from. I loved Wimbledon beating them in the 1988 FA Cup final and was even more delighted when Arsenal's Michael Thomas snatched the league title in 1989 from under their noses with the last kick of the season. The piss-taking went on for weeks. :lolol:

ChickenBaltiPie

Jan 3, 2014
May have to get used to that. Dunk said in interview that RDZ wants to attack down the middle.

Which is fine, but we need to switch it up a bit. Can’t keep relentlessly trying to thread the eye of a needle like that. It was so congested. It was impossible to get a shot off.

Trigger

Jul 4, 2003
Brighton
Very few ideas last night, largely methodical for the majority, Trossard needs to pull his head out of last week as he was so far off his game it was hard to believe it was the same player, Welbeck drags every shot he has, always! There was too much bashing a brick wall trying to go through the middle and lastly, under NO circumstances should the ball be played back to Sanchez’s feet, he’s proven time after time he’s utterly hopeless in that situation.

Here’s hoping for better next Friday.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
If game management is your thing, then you congratulate them for the three points. I suppose we take it as a backhanded compliment that they went antifootball against us. They were bigger than us man for man, 'swarmed the ball' and were happy to 'hip and shoulder' us. They made it a shite game mind. When we got forward, we were isolated.

We know how the wankpuffins will play against us having been shown up still as a team that 'doesn't like it up 'em'.

I think their ****ish fans nicked a ball too.

Kane is a kunnt and should be grateful to have Son as a teammate as he makes him look better than he is.

Now, how do we start Trossard and Mitoma?

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Some good signs in there and we're still trying to play in an enjoyable way. Certain things need to improve, tactically and in terms of our one touch passing. I'm going to be optimistic and believe RDZ will be able to improve them. It will help a lot if the crowd is supportive while the players adapt.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
Ha ha. Very funny. The art of good comedy is to take something that is a version of a truth (for example we should be beating teams like Southampton) and then insert the altered version into a completely different context (like the new manager's first ever home game, against a top 3 side). Top work :thumbsup:

having taken 500 off my leicester supporting pals i will be giving it back to my totterringham supporting pals this week , not happy jan , its been a massive weekend , i'm buckled and i have to be up for work in 6.5 hrs...:cry: its gonna hurt .... i don't think ill have a drink till friday.

tigertim68

Sep 3, 2012
You watched a different match to me. Plenty of decent opportunities from which goals sometimes occur. The fact none of them were converted is just football. I think the difference with last week was simply that we tried to play too centrally and Spurs (unlike Liverpool) were only interested in defending so drawing their midfield and attack out of position and passing around them wasn’t often an option.

Can’t remember one decent chance , difference between this week and last week , was the pace of the passing, yesterday was so slow unlike last week , the guy next to me went to Liverpool last week and said we were a different team last week .

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
If game management is your thing, then you congratulate them for the three points. I suppose we take it as a backhanded compliment that they went antifootball against us. They were bigger than us man for man, 'swarmed the ball' and were happy to 'hip and shoulder' us. They made it a shite game mind. When we got forward, we were isolated.

We know how the wankpuffins will play against us having been shown up still as a team that 'doesn't like it up 'em'.

I think their ****ish fans nicked a ball too.

Kane is a kunnt and should be grateful to have Son as a teammate as he makes him look better than he is.

Now, how do we start Trossard and Mitoma?

By playing March as Left wing back in place of Estupinan?

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014

Glad you appreciated it as it took me all day to come up with it

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
Not seen it mentioned elsewhere so may have missed it but Dunk sounded pretty pissed about fans reaction to some of the playing out from the back yesterday

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
Not seen it mentioned elsewhere so may have missed it but Dunk sounded pretty pissed about fans reaction to some of the playing out from the back yesterday

He gesticulated something to the North Stand in the first half after a phase of play out from the back. Sanchez also followed up after he saw Dunks reaction

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
Can’t remember one decent chance , difference between this week and last week , was the pace of the passing, yesterday was so slow unlike last week , the guy next to me went to Liverpool last week and said we were a different team last week .

At Anfield, from the reporting, you’d have thought Liverpool were abysmal - they weren’t. They came onto us the entire game and we played thru them. Conte set up to keep Spurs compact and to rely on swarming quick breaks. We needed something to unlock them and had two or three decent attempts at goal. We gave Spurs a really good game and a draw would have been a fair result. They were a very different proposition to Liverpool.

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach

I didn't see the gesture or hear what he said. What did he say?

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017

Different opposition, though. Spurs are one of the strongest teams in the league and set up with a very deep block (particularly after going one up). It's hard to score against bottom of the league teams when they do that, let alone spurs. Shame we didn't play them before they altered their style to more counter attacking.

That said, I felt we didn't use the wings enough last night. Would we have fared better under GP we don't know, but I think the next couple of games v teams we should be looking to pick up points against (but far from a given) will be a much better indicator of where we're at

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here