Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Brighton & Hove Albion vs Tottenham Hotspur *** Official Match Thread ***

Terry Butcher Tribute Act

Aug 18, 2013
Jeez, to read the comments on here you’d have thought we weren’t in the game at all.

We were playing the 3rd placed team in the top flight and it was a closely matched game throughout. We created more chances than Spurs and didn’t deserve to lose.

Where’s the fire?

Look at who Spurs signed in this window. This is a bully of a club in financial terms and we are starting to become a real threat to them. I thought we made them look ordinary in a game that was, well, ordinary.

We’ve got a little drunk on 5-2 and 3-3 scorelines. This was just a ‘back to earth’ moment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Good post.

Always going to be hard for a new manager when the old one left on such a high, but some people do seem to have lost perspective a bit. It's like everyone was expecting us to absolutely smash one of the best sides in the country off the park.

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

SeagullsoverLondon

NSC Patron
Jun 20, 2021
The morning after , I thought we were pretty disappointing, the first hall an hour we were slow , showing no sense of urgency, being beaten in most fifty flfty tackles , passing was poor , gave the ball away too often , but we gradually grew in to the game . But we failed to create one clear cut chance in the whole match , I know Spurs are a good team and were well organised . Their keeper did not have to make one save , I thought the players would of been up for this game from the start , but it took them to go a goal down to get going
Er Dunk headed over from 5 yards out. Welbeck shot wide when put through. So there were at least two clear cut chances.
I think we were as good if not better after the first 25.

But I agree the Spurs players seemed more up for it in first half, something to prove after losing NLD.

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
I think it is a great compliment to Brighton that one of the world's best managers at a Champions League club had to change and adapt his tactics to stop us playing our game.

Unfortunately, I think a lot of teams other than Màn City may start to adapt their game to try and stop us playing.

Hopefully RdZ will start working on plan B and C over the next few weeks.

I wouldnt be surprised if we go 4-4-1-1 or 4-2-3-1 next week with Mitoma coming in for Gross and Velvet s going to RB

Agree with the compliment re our play.

Apart from City, who are in another level, I don't see another team 'doing a Spurs' and us not beating the low block with RDZball purely because of the quality of the players Spuds have. They are rammed full of top quality international players. Not many other teams are.

Plus don't forget that Conte is the only PL manager to have played RDZ 4x and is very familiar with how he players (Inter vs Sassulo).

Certainly I don't see Chelsea and Arsenal changing the way they play to counter our style but more like try and impose their style on us. Can you see Potter doing a Conte? Those games will be more like the Liverpool game imo, with their quality they too will be tough games in other ways.

willalbion

May 8, 2006
London
Er Dunk headed over from 5 yards out. Welbeck shot wide when put through. So there were at least two clear cut chances.

But I agree the Spurs players seemed more up for it in first half, something to prove after losing NLD.
Solly’s drive just past the post with the spurs keeper rooted… I was convinced that one was going in until it didn’t.

tigertim68

Sep 3, 2012

Keeper didn’t have a save to make , Dunks header was never going in , Welbeck shot also never troubled the keeper , neither was a clear cut chance

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Keeper didn’t have a save to make , Dunks header was never going in , Welbeck shot also never troubled the keeper , neither was a clear cut chance

They were good chances, poorly executed

SeagullsoverLondon

NSC Patron
Jun 20, 2021
I think both Dunk and Welbeck would have expected to at least get the ball on target, and in Dunks case, there was no way he wasn't going score if on target. Certainly Dunk's reaction afterwards suggested he expected to score.
And if he had equalised, I suspect there would have been a lot more chances second half, as Spurs would have had to opened up a bit more themselves

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden

They are still goal chances even if the keeper didn't make a save. If you get a penalty and put it over the bar, wouldn't you count that as a clear cut chance?

tigertim68

Sep 3, 2012
They are still goal chances even if the keeper didn't make a save. If you get a penalty and put it over the bar, wouldn't you count that as a clear cut chance?

We had a couple of half chances , not one clear cut chance , unlike against Liverpool where we created a lot of clear cut chance , a penalty is a clear cut chance

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012

According to the BBC stats, we had more shots on target than Spurs - 4 to 3, from memory, which must mean they were saved or blocked somewhere.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Conte had done his homework and basically stopped us playing out from the back which meant wasteful long balls to the opposition or going out of play. The players we needed to be on their game were below which in some cases might have put some watching scouts off.
Mitoma looks some player. Felt sorry for Welbeck as he often had no options due to lack of support upfront.
Onto Brentford

Conte is an enormously competent and clever coach in my view. Not the most entertaining, perhaps, but smart.

And on the Welbeck front, I really noticed yesterday how much he was receiving the ball, holding it, bringing other people in and generally doing something useful……. And I wouldn’t normally claim to notice such things!

HCxUK

Apr 18, 2014
It was a bad time to play Spurs. I'm sure it was an easy team talk for Conte after the death of their fitness coach, and their switch of system made them far more solid and they completely overran us in the middle to begin with (even if Biss looked miles off it).

They're also one of the worst teams to go to 1-0 down to. Conte completely killed the game and I thought we did well to create a few decent chances. They're a CL team with a few very, very good players - was particularly impressed with Bentancur and Romero.

I think we'll bounce back against Brentford

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Jeez, to read the comments on here you’d have thought we weren’t in the game at all.

We were playing the 3rd placed team in the top flight and it was a closely matched game throughout. We created more chances than Spurs and didn’t deserve to lose.

Where’s the fire?

Look at who Spurs signed in this window. This is a bully of a club in financial terms and we are starting to become a real threat to them. I thought we made them look ordinary in a game that was, well, ordinary.

We’ve got a little drunk on 5-2 and 3-3 scorelines. This was just a ‘back to earth’ moment.

I not sure everyone thinks there was a fire.... but we really should be beating teams like Spurs if we want to improve on last year.

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean
We needed to be at our absolute best to have got something out of Spurs and for whatever reason we weren’t.

Comte has beaten RDZ 3 times in Italy and drawn once, he’s got more knowledge of RDZ than any other manager in the PL.

Onwards and upwards

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
I thought Spurs did a decent job on us. Outnumbered us in midfield and harried and pressured us aggressively until they took the lead. They also got back into shape very quickly whenever they lost the ball.

Second half they regularly put everyone behind the ball and challenged us to find something special to beat them. Unfortunately we couldn't.

I don't think we played badly. We weren't at our best but a decent chunk of that can be put at how Spurs played.

It's a real sign of where we are that we can be disappointed in not being at our best but still pushing Spurs close and also that Spurs were basically scared of us.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Where’s the fire?

Precisely.

My own personal malaise is my own personal malaise, the pleasure of sharing time with some lovely people, versus the 4h of driving and the whole day gone. The tiniest change (Potter off, Bob Il costruttore, in) may have pushed me into an existential quandry; do I stick or twist?

That has brought me anxiety about the team. Part of me thinks it is a disaster already (no evidence for this, but it is a scientific fact). Part of me thinks: Spurs scored from a header by England's highest ever scorer (or will be soon) and the radical style change hasn't triggered any obvious disaster, and I should just strap myself in and enjoy the ride.

People (myself included) are strange.

Incidentally I watched Potter on MOTD, avoiding being tricked into saying what an upgrade it is moving to Chelsea (he was very measured about the difference, or lack of, between the clubs, and that coaching is coaching) while sucking air in through his teeth. I smiled. Later Bob Il C was interviewed and the 5 second clip had him looking annoyed and basically saying 'we waz robbed by the shitter side' which also made me smile.

At the end of the day è quello che è.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
We had a couple of half chances , not one clear cut chance , unlike against Liverpool where we created a lot of clear cut chance , a penalty is a clear cut chance

You watched a different match to me. Plenty of decent opportunities from which goals sometimes occur. The fact none of them were converted is just football. I think the difference with last week was simply that we tried to play too centrally and Spurs (unlike Liverpool) were only interested in defending so drawing their midfield and attack out of position and passing around them wasn’t often an option.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here