Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Brighton & Hove Albion vs Chelsea *** Official Match Thread ***

Positives: JPVH, Pedro, Tariq, Karou, Pervis, and Karou roasting Cucutwatface.

Negatives: Thought Baleba looked a few games from being ready, gave it away a lot. Dahoud also looked lazy and wasteful until Billy came on. Buonnanote I have defended a lot but tonight showed he is a long way from being physically ready for this level. It’s actually unfair putting him in there at the moment. Should be off on loan getting stronger and minutes. Fati missing another sitter.
I thought FB had a good first half but he lost his way after the break. Surprised he wasn’t replaced earlier - but there you go, while we wanted to win I think we also saw this as a development game and had to balance those two things

Bottom line is if you miss 4 decent chances then you really aren't going to progress. A lot of players looked light weight tonight a nf bringing on lalana to chase the game said it all.
Yep first time Sanchez breathed easy all night

Agree. People telling us on this board Europe is not that important either. What happens when we start losing in the league !!!
No way we disrespected this cup, we put in a good performance but didn’t take our chances, it happens - will happen in the league too (and already has this season)

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
Just back from the games. Shame we lost but not going to lose any sleep over it. I don’t know if anyone was watching on TV but from where I was standing I am sure Chilwell put the ball out with hand in the second half, and should been a penalty. Or did I imagine it?

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Enjoyable night apart from the result. Good panto, but Chelsea fans just awful. Misfiring in front of goal cost us, but if we’re going to exit any competition early this is the one. Good minutes for some of the wider squad/combinations. Walked past a pub on the way back to car with a background sound of ‘we’ve scored a goal’ being sung :laugh:

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Unfortunately Igor's erratic positioning and play is exactly what fiorentina fans warned us about. Constantly out of position as well. He has the raw talent but he needs to be guided. Which is why I couldn't understand why de zerbi went with that defence tonight.
Because there another game on Saturday …….

Enjoyable night apart from the result. Good panto, but Chelsea fans just awful. Misfiring in front of goal cost us, but if we’re going to exit any competition early this is the one. Good minutes for some of the wider squad/combinations. Walked past a pub on the way back to car with a background sound of ‘we’ve scored a goal’ being sung :laugh:
Also singing about us, tragic ****s.

Milano

Aug 15, 2012
Sussex but not by the sea
Just got home.
The team to score first tonight were likely to win. We missed 2 great chances 1st half to do that and then paid for it. That said Solly just f***ing had to score, even more annoyed that he let that wanker save it, shite header. It’s details like that which mean he’ll never get that cap.

My take aways from tonight:
I absolutely loved Sanchez being absolutely shit tonight, talk about a micro-summary of why RDZ dropped him!
Goodnight is NOWHERE NEAR ready, perhaps if we’d been at home to L1 oppo but not Chelsea away, there are kids in the U21s more ready, very strange situation.
Pedro needs shooting practice.
Fati will score and then keep on doing it. I was slightly surprised he was subbed and I think it affected us.
Chelsea are a £1bn Burnley.
I realise how much I miss pubs being within walking distance of our ground.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
People saying no injuries… pretty sure it was the reason Fati was subbed. He was hurt in the tackle which should’ve been the red card.

Pretty sure he’ll be out for Saturday and hope it’s not as serious as it appeared.

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
For context, tonight's squad spend (using rough figures)

Bart- £15m

Lamptey £3m
Van Hecke £2m
Igor £13m
Perv £14m

Dahoud £0
Buonanotte £8m
Baleba £25m
Ansu Fati £0 (loan)

Mitoma £2m
Joao Pedro £30m

Subs
March £0
Lallana £0
Hinshelwood £0
Gilmour £7m

Total around £100m. Which seems a lot, especially for us, 'til you compare it to:

Sanchez £25m

Chilwell £50m
Disasi £40m
Colwill £0
Cucurella £60m

Caicedo £115m
Ugochukwu £25m
Maatsen £0

Mudryk £90m
Jackson £30m
Palmer £45m

Fernandez £110m
Sterling £50m
Gallagher £0
Broja £0

£630m give or take.

For a League Cup game. At home. Against our reserves. When they should've been down to 10 men for the second half and presented us with ample opportunities to be out of sight. Whilst we were without Dunk, Veltman, Gross, Ferguson, Adingra, Enciso etc. Whilst we brought on a guy that has made one senior appearance from the bench when we were behind because it meant that little to us. Whilst we've played three games in six days and they had a nice week off between their draw with Bournemouth and defeat by Villa. And their fans are banging on about it as if they've just won the Champions League.

Let them have it, we'll show them who the better side is in a few months' time when it actually matters.

Zeus

Jan 10, 2022
Got the sense at the game that RDZ just wasn’t that fussed about going out tonight. Didn’t throw Adingra in and let Facundo play far far longer than justified,

Seagull1989

Oct 31, 2011
Just back from the game . First half we are the better team but after the goal we didn’t create too much, Solly having the best chance.

The chances at the other end I didn’t have a great view of but looked like Fati faked to shoot and then still put it in the same corner.

Im also not sold on Joao Pedro being our out and out striker. Athens and Chelsea hasn’t worked with him being there and needs to play behind a striker imo.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here