Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Brighton & Hove Albion vs Chelsea *** Official Match Thread ***

Comrade Sam

Comrade Sam
Jan 31, 2013
Walthamstow
I thought we were better than them for most of the game and we lost on fine margins - could have had a pen, missed sitters, their goal looked offside, they could have had a red (in fact if it was a league game they'd have picked up several yellows for kicking the ball away). Chelsea also played an expensive array of talent and need to win something.
Strangely I saw RDZ post match on YouTube then read the comments - what a load of negative dicks, almost everyone said they were a Brighton fan and claimed our 2nd team is shite and our performance was awful. Genuinely think they watched a different game.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Opportunity mssed, I'm afraid. Home draw aainst Blackbrn in the next round - win that then we'd be in the quarter finals with City and the dangerous Villa already out, and two more out of United, Bewcastle, Arsenal and West Ham also out of it. Golden chance of European qualification barely half way through the season. What a waste!

C1 BHA

Jul 5, 2003
Wiltshire
Opportunity mssed, I'm afraid. Home draw aainst Blackbrn in the next round - win that then we'd be in the quarter finals with City and the dangerous Villa already out, and two more out of United, Bewcastle, Arsenal and West Ham also out of it. Golden chance of European qualification barely half way through the season. What a waste!
Unfortunately, you’re quite right but we can’t win ‘em all…..I’m sure Citeh and Villa fans are thinking the same thing. UTA.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
I thought we were better than them for most of the game and we lost on fine margins - could have had a pen, missed sitters, their goal looked offside, they could have had a red (in fact if it was a league game they'd have picked up several yellows for kicking the ball away). Chelsea also played an expensive array of talent and need to win something.
Strangely I saw RDZ post match on YouTube then read the comments - what a load of negative dicks, almost everyone said they were a Brighton fan and claimed our 2nd team is shite and our performance was awful. Genuinely think they watched a different game.
We were ok last night, not great.

To me, the good news is we're currently 3rd in the table having won 5 out of 6 games and to be honest, I don't think we've actually played as good as we can or did last season in any of our games with maybe the exception of the Newcastle game. Away to Wolves we actually weren't great and could have been behind but blew them away in a 10 minute spell. Even away to Man Utd, I don't think we were as good as some of the pundits made out, we didn't have to be to be at our best to beat a poor team. When the new players are fully up to speed and we start clicking, things could get very exciting.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
we said similar last week then lost to Charlton

It may of been a chance but long way to go and bound to of collected more injuries.

We never do anything in the league cup - thats the rules

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
We’re seeing mixed form, (obviously) corresponding to the necessity to alter large numbers of personnel to manage the sheer weight of matches… our play will naturally lose fluency and become more disjointed as a consequence… partnerships take time to forge, especially in a competitive setting.

The fact that we’re already looking fatigued is a concern, so losing this one and avoiding more fixtures is probably the lesser of two evils.

On the game itself, in spite of our stop start bitty play and new players finding their feet etc. arguably we were the better side, and lost to the odd goal… hardly convincing from Chelsea, nor does it represent the end of thier woes… let them have this one, it obviously means WAY more to them than I’d consider normal, you know, for such a HUGE club.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Aye saw that last night….laughable …fired off a few back …cba to see if replied to

Eric Youngs Contact Lens

Dec 9, 2020
East Sussex
Trueblue summed it up.. our subs, mixed it up to protect players but didn't really add strength to a side that was holding it's own. , whereas the Chelsea subs made them stronger, despite Chilwell going off. Beyond that, the fine margins that plenty of others have highlighted just left me feeling a bit "meh".. not that fussed (and wont be at all if we get some wins in our next 3 games!), but a bit frustrated that it was all a bit scrappy not helped by new team combinations, a Chelsea team desperate to get something/anything in front of their fans and a referee that got worse as the game went on. Interested to see how Igor looks playing with Dunk beside him, who seems to lift every centre-half he plays with.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
So much nonsense being written about this game in the media. Chelsea were largely awful. We missed three great chances to score and were the better side throughout - reading some of the reports you'd think it was a well-deserved win.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
A good performance by a much changed side. The miss by Pedro was terrible and would have changed the game

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
This drama queen agrees.
It was another wasted opportunity. I want a final at Wembley. I don't care if its League Cup or FA Cup. We have enough ability now to put ourselves in a position of making serious progress in domestic competitions. I experienced 1983. It was heartbreakingly close. Before I shuffle off this mortal coil I want to experience another Wembley final.
A few European games and a top ten finish in the PL will not replace the excitement of a cup run.

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
I won't.
Another chance of real progress in a domestic competition chucked away again. A Chelsea side devoid of confidence and we turn in a performance as flat as a witches chest. Guess what....the draw opens up. They get Blackburn at home. Man U draw Newcastle and West Ham get Arsenal and Mansfield, Exeter, Port Vale and Boro all still in and drawn against each other.
We get it all wrong, hyping up last Thursday and faffing about in a competition where we are out of our depth and with absolutely no chance of winning. The players have appeared emotionally drained ever since and have turned in two sub par displays, crashing out of the League Cup, a realistic chance of silverware. With 15 points already on the board, last night should have been the priority. Instead, its treated like a free hit that doesnt matter.
This is our time to try and win something. Right now. Before we know it, RDZ will have moved on, the dynamic will have changed and we will all be looking back thinking that we missed our chance.
We're doomed I tell ya!

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
Not too fussed about going out of the cup really but it could have been a competition we'd have a decent crack at winning. We've never gone further than the quarters and only made that stage once in 60 odd years.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Not too fussed about going out of the cup really but it could have been a competition we'd have a decent crack at winning. We've never gone further than the quarters and only made that stage once in 60 odd years.
Got a feeling that was v Forest, late 70's, when the Special Train broke down.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Agree. Seen him many times. Don't think he's an epl baller. Let's see.
. Seen him many times for u21s. At the moment reminds me of Foster Caskey Not a ball winner and just takes easy option by making easy short passes. Early days and time for him to show he has ability to make a difference to games. It was Moran that always impressed in midfield

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here