Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Brighton & Hove Albion vs Aston Villa *** Official Match Thread *** - KO Delayed Until 3:30

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Dan Burn, or rather the lack of, isn't the reason why we've been poor the last couple of games. He's not the reason why Dunk has turned into Mings, Bissouma has been poor since AFCON, Trossard's form and influence has dropped off or the team has lost its cohesion.

I think the sale of Dan Burn has indirectly had some effect. Not in the sense that he himself would stop all the seven goals conceded in the last three games, but more in the sense that never being able to play with the same set of central defenders is creating some anxiety in the team, there's no real stability.

Today: Veltman, Dunk, Cucurella
Burnley: Duffy, Veltman
United: Dunk, Webster
Watford: Dunk, Webster, Veltman
Tottenham: Cucurella, Dunk, Webster
Leicester: Burn, Webster

Six straight games with different combinations in central defense. Sure, GP could technically have started with Duffy-Veltman today just like last week but I dont think that felt like a particularly tempting option.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Dan Burn, or rather the lack of, isn't the reason why we've been poor the last couple of games. He's not the reason why Dunk has turned into Mings, Bissouma has been poor since AFCON, Trossard's form and influence has dropped off or the team has lost its cohesion.

OK, Burn leaving has made no difference.

Whatever.

Ooh it’s a corner

Aug 28, 2016
Nr. Coventry
As penance for my sins I am watching the whole game this morning. Solly’s attempted block of Cash’s shot was poor imo - the defensive side of his wing-back role is not strong. Mac’s miss was dreadful - remember how Gallagher’s finish for CP against us was lethal, Mac’s was not - so frustrating as he is often one of the best ball strikers. The ref has been very weak.
I too think it was remiss of the club not to support Ukraine in some public way. It would not have changed the result but might have been something to be pleased about on a very deflating afternoon for most of us.
I do hope GP makes a few changes next week and gives Caicedo a chance and maybe Alzate. It’s also worth noting that the much maligned Pascal has not played in the last three matches(I think) - maybe he still does more than some of us notice.

RandyWanger

Je suis rôti de boeuf
Mar 14, 2013
Done a Frexit, now in London
Just got home from the game. Better than last weekend, but still poor.
Hard to see where our next point will come from as we start to slide down the table and finish 15/16th again. Have we hit our glass ceiling? Have the wheels come off? Are we too entitled thinking we can finish in the top half?
Very frustrated at the moment with the Albion and it feels like we've gone backwards since the transfer window. We had an embarrassment of riches in defence, now we're plugging holes. Hope Webster is back soon so we don't play that back 4 again.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
I think the sale of Dan Burn has indirectly had some effect. Not in the sense that he himself would stop all the seven goals conceded in the last three games, but more in the sense that never being able to play with the same set of central defenders is creating some anxiety in the team, there's no real stability.

Today: Veltman, Dunk, Cucurella
Burnley: Duffy, Veltman
United: Dunk, Webster
Watford: Dunk, Webster, Veltman
Tottenham: Cucurella, Dunk, Webster
Leicester: Burn, Webster

Six straight games with different combinations in central defense. Sure, GP could technically have started with Duffy-Veltman today just like last week but I dont think that felt like a particularly tempting option.

I have some sympathy for the argument that Burn being sold and the subsequent defensive instability is one of a number of reasons for our loss of form. I don't think it's the main one though.

Of those five games how many would he have played and how many of those games would have been the same players?

Probably Spurs and Watford instead of Veltman. United? I don't know. Did we play two at the back because of a lack of options defensively or for tactical reasons(genuine question, I don't know)? Burnley, I imagine he would have started either as a two or three but it would have been a new look back line anyway with Dunk and Webster missing. Yesterday? I would have thought so but that would have been with Dunk and Veltman. So in those five games it would have only been in two of them that we played the same back line.

So I can accept that it could have a minor destabilising effect as a back5/6 defensive unit but I don't buy it having a major effect. And like I said in my first post it doesn't explain Bissouma, Trossard, or the team in general losing cohesion with players passing to place A with their team mate running to point B instead. That is something that is very surprising and unexpected in such a well drilled team.

OK, Burn leaving has made no difference.

Whatever.

That's not quite what I said. I said he wasn't the reason why we've gone right off the boil in recent weeks. I've explained in more detail in my response to Swansman above.

The current travails of the team can't be laid at the door of Burn being sold. That, at best is a minor reason.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here