Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Brighton & Hove Albion vs Aston Villa *** Official Match Thread *** - KO Delayed Until 3:30

Mike Small

Dec 26, 2008
How is it that Solly March continues to have the same problem he has had for the past 4 or 5 years.

Just. Cross. The. Ball.

Don't wait, and look, and wait, and look, and wait, and lose the ball.

If he would just whip the ball in, our attackers would know they might have something to get on the end of when he has the ball.

Instead he get's the ball and our players might as well think that they've got 10 minutes until the ball might come in, but it's actually probably best to prepare themselves for a counter attack.

I cannot understand why it hasn't been made clear to him. What he is doing is wasting any chance we have to make something of our possession out wide on his side.

For the love of God Solly, stop it. Get the ball out of your feet and put it in an area. Don't wait for a man to pick out, let the attacking players take responsibility for being there and getting on the end of it. You just worry about putting it in an area. Aim for the space, don't aim for the man.

Even the one decent chance we had with Mac Allister we were lucky to get and came from Solly doing the wrong thing. There was space infront of Maupay. Maupay was goal side. Just play the ball quickly.

/Rant.

Doesn't have the ability or confidence when he goes forward in this league. I lose interest when he has the ball going forward as it isn't going to come to anything. Admittedly, Welbeck should have done better with his cross but that's one chance created every 20 opportunities or so. Never want him on the team sheet despite him 'doing a job'. I hope he's not there next year. He's not going to get any better.

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
But moaning and groaning won't improve their chances of hitting it clean or on target.

So why moan?

That's like saying you get bullied all the time so why stick up for yourself?
Sorry, but I, along with thousands of others, pay a lot of money towards these players extravagant lifestyles so they should show a bit more passion and if they underperform then they should absolutely get moaned at for it. If I do a poor job then customers complain, no different in my opinion.
3 losses on the bounce and no idea where the next point is coming from, things look pretty bleak. We will not finish top 10.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
How is it that Solly March continues to have the same problem he has had for the past 4 or 5 years.

Just. Cross. The. Ball.

Did Solly not put in 2 of the best balls today ? But Welbeck didn’t go for it and the other was cut off ? Certainly more dangerous than anyone else

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
Two very good goals nevertheless we only got going after going 0-2 down and then to little to late.

Both sides seemed more interested in fouling each other than playing football.

Starting to fear the timing of BDB departure with Dunk only just returning from injury and Webster injured has caused our problems in the last two games

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
We look a decent side with 3 central defenders that allows Cucurella and Lamptey to play the game in the opposition half but with dunks suspension, another period of injury absence for Webster and Burn offloaded we are left with makeshift 4 at the back.

This couple with Lallana absence and Biss looking disinterested we can’t even keep the clean sheets that were ticking us along nicely with getting draws.

D

Deleted member 2719

That's like saying you get bullied all the time so why stick up for yourself?
Sorry, but I, along with thousands of others, pay a lot of money towards these players extravagant lifestyles so they should show a bit more passion and if they underperform then they should absolutely get moaned at for it. If I do a poor job then customers complain, no different in my opinion.
3 losses on the bounce and no idea where the next point is coming from, things look pretty bleak. We will not finish top 10.

No, it isn't.

You may get one or two opportunities in a match to get a shot off, under pressure, will be far more difficult however much you get paid, just look at the top class penalty takers over the years who have missed from the spot.......pressure for 99% of players is their enemy....not their ability.

Kane at one point couldn't hit a barn door, he gets a lucky deflection and his back in the groove.

Most of those players today did put a shift in, it was like a war with Gerrards kickers and arm slingers playing Aussie rules for the first half. We came back at them in the battle of the cards.............the dirty game is not us.
We are a hard-working quality outfit, if the refs would ref matches like football matches rather than rugby, we would have won today.

um bongo molongo

Jul 26, 2004
Battersea
Doesn't have the ability or confidence when he goes forward in this league. I lose interest when he has the ball going forward as it isn't going to come to anything. Admittedly, Welbeck should have done better with his cross but that's one chance created every 20 opportunities or so. Never want him on the team sheet despite him 'doing a job'. I hope he's not there next year. He's not going to get any better.

His number of assists + goals is pathetic. Useful squad player but shouldn’t be near the first XI unless we’re down to the bare bones.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
His number of assists + goals is pathetic. Useful squad player but shouldn’t be near the first XI unless we’re down to the bare bones.

Trossard has 1 assist all season in 24 appearances.

Here'sWally

Sep 27, 2021
Did Solly not put in 2 of the best balls today ? But Welbeck didn’t go for it and the other was cut off ? Certainly more dangerous than anyone else

The Welbeck ball yes, it was great. Sometimes you can pick out a man. But you can't do that every time and Solly had the ball out wide countless times today, and he just will not put the ball in early. One good cross doesn't make up for wasting so much possession in what should be a dangerous area. You can pretty much guarantee that when Solly gets it out wide, the ball isn't coming into the box. It should be, and I can't understand why nobody has insisted to him that if he wants to play, he has to change what he is doing. He is a good player, but getting the ball in the box with defenders turned and space to attack, rather than waiting and waiting and letting the box fill up and defenders get set, is basic stuff.

If Maupay and Mac Allister and Trossard anticipated that a ball was coming in they would break their necks to get into the box, but they know it's not coming, so they don't. On the rare occassion it does come, they are not expecting it. Welbeck didn't take the chance, in part, because he was so surprised that a cross actually came in.

The Welbeck ball yes, it was great. Sometimes you can pick out a man. But you can't do that every time and Solly had the ball out wide countless times today, and he just will not put the ball in early. One good cross doesn't make up for wasting so much possession in what should be a dangerous area. You can pretty much guarantee that when Solly gets it out wide, the ball isn't coming into the box. It should be, and I can't understand why nobody has insisted to him that if he wants to play, he has to change what he is doing. He is a good player, but getting the ball in the box with defenders turned and space to attack, rather than waiting and waiting and letting the box fill up and defenders get set, is basic stuff.

This. I don't think Salah, Mane or Sterling would score in this squad the way we are playing.
Biss needs to be dropped - not half the man he was last year.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
In his post match comments Graham Potter said 'overall I thought the performance was fine'

It wasn't Graham, it really wasn't. That is unless you ignore the final 75 minutes.

Not sure what he saw was fine. We seem completely devoid of any movement upfront with the midfield offering no assistance. Lamptey seems to now want to cutback every time he receives the ball even when the opportunity is there to run at the RB. Maybe his injury has affected him more than we think. Biss seems to have left us already. Needs to be dropped to give Caiceido his chance if he is the replacement

Sirnormangall

Sep 21, 2017
The turning point for me was McCallister’s miss at 0-1. Just felt at that point it wasn’t going to be our day again. We created very little after that and generally we felt a bit light-weight and were out-muscled in most areas.

R. Slicker

Jan 1, 2009
No, it isn't.

You may get one or two opportunities in a match to get a shot off, under pressure, will be far more difficult however much you get paid, just look at the top class penalty takers over the years who have missed from the spot.......pressure for 99% of players is their enemy....not their ability.

Kane at one point couldn't hit a barn door, he gets a lucky deflection and his back in the groove.

Most of those players today did put a shift in, it was like a war with Gerrards kickers and arm slingers playing Aussie rules for the first half. We came back at them in the battle of the cards.............the dirty game is not us.
We are a hard-working quality outfit, if the refs would ref matches like football matches rather than rugby, we would have won today.

Well said Mouldy, I was shocked & disappointed that Gerrard's team behave like that, literally going to ground whenever they're in trouble, knowing that the pathetic ref would give them the kick, not to mention the ridiculous lino on the West side. They even did the old 'someone go down between 60 & 70 minutes, and all go to the touchline for coaching' chestnut.

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
Not sure what he saw was fine. We seem completely devoid of any movement upfront with the midfield offering no assistance. Lamptey seems to now want to cutback every time he receives the ball even when the opportunity is there to run at the RB. Maybe his injury has affected him more than we think. Biss seems to have left us already. Needs to be dropped to give Caiceido his chance if he is the replacement

I think the Lamptey issue is a lot simpler and basic. The defenders are learning to play him as they know about his pace. You just stand off him rather than trying to get too close.
Would agree about Biss. After the great sub appearance at Tottenham he just seems to be strolling around. Teams are starting to press us higher up the park and also today we got sidetracked by all the niggly stuff

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Anyone know what the handbags were all about at North end of WSL during the first half? Saw a few being asked to leave.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Well, I'll certainly bother saying it then. Apart from anything else, since he's departed we've never had a full quota of our remaining CBs available for selection. We could have done with him today, and that's no error!

Dan Burn, or rather the lack of, isn't the reason why we've been poor the last couple of games. He's not the reason why Dunk has turned into Mings, Bissouma has been poor since AFCON, Trossard's form and influence has dropped off or the team has lost its cohesion.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here