[Politics] Brexit

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London
Absolutely disgraceful for Theresa May not to confirm rights of EU citizens already living in the Uk. Yet more uncertainty which threatens to go on for years. And this after a week of climb downs by the Leavers after their campaigns of lies has been exposed. And all along there wasn't even a plan. Now we all face even further public sector cuts, tax rises and another recession. Well done. Happy now Brexiteers?

D

Deleted member 22389

I am looking forward and I can just see the black hole through all the fog.

You should ask that lot in Brussels why they don't want to reform then. I think it has been proved time and time this organistation can't be reformed from inside, just by looking at the way they are treating us now. I wanted us to Leave, but I don't think it is going to happen.

If this becomes the case then this country should apply to become full members, that includes the Euro and all the other rules laid out by the EU. We will never have another referendum, so I just don't see there being any point in having half a foot in this organisation and then saying we support being in the EU, when we really don't.

Last edited by a moderator:

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Absolutely disgraceful for Theresa May not to confirm rights of EU citizens already living in the Uk. Yet more uncertainty which threatens to go on for years. And this after a week of climb downs by the Leavers after their campaigns of lies has been exposed. And all along there wasn't even a plan. Now we all face even further public sector cuts, tax rises and another recession. Well done. Happy now Brexiteers?

How can she confirm the rights of EU citizens when no negotiations have taken place. The uncertainty will go on for years as that is going to be how long it takes to negotiate the exit.

D

Deleted member 22389

How can she confirm the rights of EU citizens when no negotiations have taken place. The uncertainty will go on for years as that is going to be how long it takes to negotiate the exit.

The uncertainty will only go on, if you allow it to go on. Need to be positive. People are going to create a self made recession by constantly being negative and it won't be the Leavers who created it.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
The uncertainty will only go on, if you allow it to go on. Need to be positive. People are going to create a self made recession by constantly being negative and it won't be the Leavers who created it.

The leavers are entirely to blame. No out vote and nothing changes. Clearly there is uncertainty and this will continue as the exit deal us explored and details become public.
How can anyone be postive on the rights of EU citizens here when we dont know if free movement is retained. But given that the leavers wanted less immigration then the question of whether EU citizens currently here us not one that xan be answered.
Are they to be given full rights, are they guven a period of time to apply to stay either based on current system or the muted points system or told to leave.
There will be less investment in the UK particularly from overseas as there isno knowledge on the UKs position in the free market going forward.The pound is falling with some indication ir may not level out until $1.24 which means higher fuel costs higher distribution costs higher imports etc all meaning that domestic spending will be rained in. A recession is a certainty thanks to the leavers.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006

Could you confirm your take on things in terms of those already here, how about those that arrived last month those arriving tomorrow next week and next month.

I lived and worked in the USA (as I did in Europe) and neither myself or the USA government allowed me to stay forever, I kind of accepted that, my visa ran out and I had to return to the UK and I am sure the same applies to Australia, New Zealand and Canada etc, to whom and how would you want us to reserve absolute right to arriving and staying here irrespective of their benefit to the UK, just your mates perhaps, French, Germans, Slovakians, Estonians who exactly and how should your view be implemented at the expense of perhaps a qualified talented Indian, American or African.

What exactly is your threshold for access to the UK even in the light of a referendum where most undoubtedly demanded a diminishing number allowed unfettered access to us, bearing in mind before you even analyse the political implications, when pure numbers tell us we are in terms of population density, twice as populated dense as Germany and three and a half time that of France.

What exactly are you saying ???

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast

I am a Conservative voter but the way the Government and Cameron have handled events since the result have been nothing short of a disgrace as for not having a plan it could be argued that we were told by the powers in Westminster, before the vote, that they would honor and work with the outcome whatever the way the vote went..

As for being happy......yes.
As for recession and cuts.....it's worth noting that the debt level of this country is something approaching 82% of GDP so we were hardly in a position to skip along happily even within the EU.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
As a United Kingdom of Great Britain and, God willing, a united Ireland, as we reassert our sovereign rule of law and seek to reestablish our former empire on which the sun will never set, our future priority is one thing and one thing only - immigration, immigration and immigration.

As well as a Prime Minister, we need a home secretary, foreign and colonial secretary as well as everybody else in every position of authority in this great country of ours, who is prepared to roll up their sleeves and get tough on immigration and the causes of immigration.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
As a United Kingdom of Great Britain and, God willing, a united Ireland, as we reassert our sovereign rule of law and seek to reestablish our former empire on which the sun will never set, our future priority is one thing and one thing only - immigration, immigration and immigration.

As well as a Prime Minister, we need a home secretary, foreign and colonial secretary as well as everybody else in every position of authority in this great country of ours, who is prepared to roll up their sleeves and get tough on immigration and the causes of immigration.

Well said that man ... I knew you would see the light eventually :salute:

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
I am a Conservative voter but the way the Government and Cameron have handled events since the result have been nothing short of a disgrace as for not having a plan it could be argued that we were told by the powers in Westminster, before the vote, that they would honor and work with the outcome whatever the way the vote went..

As for being happy......yes.
As for recession and cuts.....it's worth noting that the debt level of this country is something approaching 82% of GDP so we were hardly in a position to skip along happily even within the EU.

But thanks to the referendum debt is forecast by the Economist to reach 100% of GDP in 2018

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London
Could you confirm your take on things in terms of those already here, how about those that arrived last month those arriving tomorrow next week and next month.

I lived and worked in the USA (as I did in Europe) and neither myself or the USA government allowed me to stay forever, I kind of accepted that, my visa ran out and I had to return to the UK and I am sure the same applies to Australia, New Zealand and Canada etc, to whom and how would you want us to reserve absolute right to arriving and staying here irrespective of their benefit to the UK, just your mates perhaps, French, Germans, Slovakians, Estonians who exactly and how should your view be implemented at the expense of perhaps a qualified talented Indian, American or African.

What exactly is your threshold for access to the UK even in the light of a referendum where most undoubtedly demanded a diminishing number allowed unfettered access to us, bearing in mind before you even analyse the political implications, when pure numbers tell us we are in terms of population density, twice as populated dense as Germany and three and a half time that of France.

What exactly are you saying ???

Well let me be clear, I believe in the freedom of movement for the EU. That was one of the great things about membership, allowing people to live and work where they liked. It worked both ways as the 2 million Brits living in Spain and elsewhere would testify. I'm saying it would be helpful if the Tories, who have got us into this dreadful mess, could outline what they think will happen to the two million EU citizens who already live and work here, who have families here, who have children at school, and who are net contributors to the British exchequer, who are living with great uncertainty. The Tories could outline what they think they'd like, set out a position. That's what you do in politics but this lot haven't even begun to think it through. A total shambles.

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
She describes it as 'a journey.' Which is also the title of a fiction book written by Tony Blair.

yep. She is a bit of a bullsh*ter too it seems. She was either lying then or lying now. Power hungry? Maybe. Still waiting for the brexiters to do something, seem caught in the headlights. We have a second rate conservative team vying for the leadership and as for labour a non league team. Boris is an imbecile, followed by a few others.

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London
. Not a good thing for for millions of people who live and work here to have to put up with. How about having a policy position on this issue before the referendum which would have at least allowed people to take an honest view on?

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
Pensions funds are up over 2% since Brexit vote

Borrowing is cheaper

Imminent interest rate cut is on the way - cheaper mortgages

Budget surplus target abandoned meaning less belt tightening/ austerity

Not saying the path to regaining our fully independent nation status will be pain free or encounter some costs but as things stand we are not in bad shape.

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London

Sorry but this is total nonsense. Virtually the entire economic and business community warned what the likely consequences of Brexit would mean and then were told by Leavers that "we've had enough of experts" and told to shut up. I think it's shameful that some of our best qualified people on this were treated with such disdain and contempt and it helped pander to lowest common denominator. And now you have the gall to blame a likely economic downturn on people who likely voted Remain. It's bollocks.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
. Not a good thing for for millions of people who live and work here to have to put up with. How about having a policy position on this issue before the referendum which would have at least allowed people to take an honest view on?

There was a policy position before the referendum……it was called LEAVE The EU.

It was a position to

Return law making to our parliament
Return primacy of UK law
End Free Movement and control our borders.

Which bit of "part of the negotiation process" don’t you understand with regards to EU citizens here and Brits in the EU, rather than jumping in right now and saying we are going to do X without knowing how the EU are going to play it, you sit round the table and hammer out an agreement that works for both sides. This urge to suddenly show all your cards before the negotiations have even started is barking and very peculiar.

Dorset Seagull

Once Dolphin, Now Seagull
Sorry but this is total nonsense. Virtually the entire economic and business community warned what the likely consequences of Brexit would mean and then were told by Leavers that "we've had enough of experts" and told to shut up. I think it's shameful that some of our best qualified people on this were treated with such disdain and contempt and it helped pander to lowest common denominator. And now you have the gall to blame a likely economic downturn on people who likely voted Remain. It's bollocks.

Experts tell us on a daily basis that something isn't good for us only for that to be proven wrong at some time in the future. How we can have experts forecasting the outcome of a decision that has never been undertaken before suggests to me that sometimes we would be better off ignoring the so called experts

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
Experts tell us on a daily basis that something isn't good for us only for that to be proven wrong at some time in the future. How we can have experts forecasting the outcome of a decision that has never been undertaken before suggests to me that sometimes we would be better off ignoring the so called experts

Many of the so called experts also have an appalling track record at predicting anything accurately which many people on the remain side conveniently ignore.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports