Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Sorry but this is total nonsense. Virtually the entire economic and business community warned what the likely consequences of Brexit would mean and then were told by Leavers that "we've had enough of experts" and told to shut up. I think it's shameful that some of our best qualified people on this were treated with such disdain and contempt and it helped pander to lowest common denominator. And now you have the gall to blame a likely economic downturn on people who likely voted Remain. It's bollocks.

Virtually the entire economic and business community would tell you we should never again vote in a Labour Government. I guess you would defer to them on this as well. Lets give the entire economic and business community some time to adjust to the democratic will of the people and then use their talents to contribute to the future of our country. We should also incorporate the views of those who voted Remain because 52:48 is not a mandate for complete change. However, the anger probably needs taking down a notch or two. Words and phrases like 'shameful', 'disdain', 'contempt', 'lowest common denominator' and 'bollocks' really have no place in democratic debate.

Dorset Seagull

Once Dolphin, Now Seagull
Many of the so called experts also have an appalling track record at predicting anything accurately which many people on the remain side conveniently ignore.

These so called experts didn't seem to predict that the FTSE 100 would already be higher than last year only a week after the "disaster" of the referendum result!

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London
Experts tell us on a daily basis that something isn't good for us only for that to be proven wrong at some time in the future. How we can have experts forecasting the outcome of a decision that has never been undertaken before suggests to me that sometimes we would be better off ignoring the so called experts

I'll keep this quick as watching the football but eariler this week, the Tory Chancellor confirmed public sector spending cuts and tax rises will have to happen as a result of Brexit. Should we ignore him too?

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
These so called experts didn't seem to predict that the FTSE 100 would already be higher than last year only a week after the "disaster" of the referendum result!

They (vast vast majority) didn't predict the 2008 crash, can't accurately predict a year ahead for regular economic forecasting events with far fewer variables than a unique Brexit situation. Yet we should believe their short/long term Brexit forecasts .... :shrug:

Dorset Seagull

I'll keep this quick as watching the football but eariler this week, the Tory Chancellor confirmed public sector spending cuts and tax rises will have to happen as a result of Brexit. Should we ignore him too?

Is this the same "expert" that predicted a punishing budget pre referendum but decided it was not necessary post referendum?

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
Independence day in the US tomorrow, a national holiday. From next year we should have one .. 23rd June UK Independence day :thumbsup:

article-2166649-1376EEF8000005DC-339_468x313.jpg

Paaaaarrrtttyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy! :rave:

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
I am a Conservative voter but the way the Government and Cameron have handled events since the result have been nothing short of a disgrace as for not having a plan it could be argued that we were told by the powers in Westminster, before the vote, that they would honor and work with the outcome whatever the way the vote went..

As for being happy......yes.
As for recession and cuts.....it's worth noting that the debt level of this country is something approaching 82% of GDP so we were hardly in a position to skip along happily even within the EU.

So we were already up to our chests in shit, so going in up to our necks is no biggie?

Steve in Japan

NSC Patron
May 9, 2013
East of Eastbourne
Why do people insist on predicting the worst possible outcome, a mere 10 days after the referendum and with as yet no decisive action taken by the Government ?

There is a not so subtle campaign afoot to convince us there can be NO future outside the EU. Blair was at it on Radio 4 today.....as oily and reasonable as ever, explaining how this vote will be overturned by a further referendum in due course. Asked by the interviewer "but we have voted to leave" Blair replied that yes, that was the position "for now".

The ground is being thoroughly prepared to suck the UK back in and re-educate it's recalcitrant voters to get back in their box. I am now personally fairly sure that we will not be leaving the EU. For what it's worth, of course.

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London
Is this the same "expert" that predicted a punishing budget pre referendum but decided it was not necessary post referendum?
Fair enough, I'll take that one but my substantive point remains ( see what I did there? ) valid. Most economists and business leaders predicted an economic down-turn and were castigated by Johnson and Farage but only a few days after the vote, it's undeniable that they've been proved right.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley

This will happen, bear in mind that we have not yet pushed the button. The real crap will start if and when we do.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Well let me be clear, I believe in the freedom of movement for the EU. That was one of the great things about membership, allowing people to live and work where they liked. It worked both ways as the 2 million Brits living in Spain and elsewhere would testify. I'm saying it would be helpful if the Tories, who have got us into this dreadful mess, could outline what they think will happen to the two million EU citizens who already live and work here, who have families here, who have children at school, and who are net contributors to the British exchequer, who are living with great uncertainty. The Tories could outline what they think they'd like, set out a position. That's what you do in politics but this lot haven't even begun to think it through. A total shambles.

But you havent mentioned numbers, nor the population density nor the impact on services etc, nor the historic exclusion of those outside of the cobbled together accession countries, you are just 'being for something', but you dont seem to offer a view on the current nor the former candidates and the merits of allowing them also freedom of movement, with respect its all all a little bit woolly.

Current candidates include Albania, Republic of Macedonia, Serbia and Turkey, more recent acceding countries of Croatia, Bulgaria and Romania nor the previous countries of Czech Republic, Estonia, Cyprus, Latvia, Lithuania, Hungry, Malta, Poland, Slovakia and Slovenia.

So where exactly are your own personal limits and at what point in terms of numbers, countries and considerations do you think perhaps it needs some control and for what specific reasons would you offer that view.

Dorset Seagull

This will happen, bear in mind that we have not yet pushed the button. The real crap will start if and when we do.

However what if all the stats and indicators are in our favour in a few months time when we do push the button. You are basing your assumptions on the fact that the markets et al still don't believe we will leave. I'm not sure that's the case

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
Cl37Xq3XIAAJ3xY.jpg

Anyone seeking to circumvent/reverse the biggest electoral mandate in our history before it has been enacted is playing with fire .. we will leave the EU.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
But you havent mentioned numbers, nor the population density nor the impact on services etc, nor the historic exclusion of those outside of the cobbled together accession countries, you are just 'being for something', but you dont seem to offer a view on the current nor the former candidates and the merits of allowing them also freedom of movement, with respect its all all a little bit woolly.

Current candidates include Albania, Republic of Macedonia, Serbia and Turkey, more recent acceding countries of Croatia, Bulgaria and Romania nor the previous countries of Czech Republic, Estonia, Cyprus, Latvia, Lithuania, Hungry, Malta, Poland, Slovakia and Slovenia.

So where exactly are your own personal limits and at what point in terms of numbers, countries and considerations do you think perhaps it needs some control and for what specific reasons would you offer that view.

What measures are in place to prevent the whole population of the U.K. moving to Brighton?

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
Interesting, so if Cameron had come back from Brussels and said ' I couldn't get a deal with the EU and think we should leave' does that mean they would all have voted to remain? I would like to give the electorate a bit more credit for common sense than see them as performing a knee-jerk 'we'll do the opposite' reaction to being told to do something. I think they have had over 40 years to make their own minds up about what the EU means to them and have decided that they are best out of it.

Fine if you think that but if you do you are disagreeing with the arguments behind the Huffington piece which made it quite clear that the reason significant numbers of the, um, working classes (or 'people from the council estates' as IDS likes to call them) voted Leave was to stick two fingers up to the people they felt were ignoring them.

I did hear a Brexiter on the radio last week saying that the overwhelming reason that people who previously had shown zero interest in politics voted Leave was because they had a Vision for the way Europe and the UK should relate to each other. Wasn't you was it?

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
Pensions funds are up over 2% since Brexit vote

Borrowing is cheaper

Imminent interest rate cut is on the way - cheaper mortgages

Budget surplus target abandoned meaning less belt tightening/ austerity

Not saying the path to regaining our fully independent nation status will be pain free or encounter some costs but as things stand we are not in bad shape.

This reminds me of the bloke who hurls himself off the top of a tower block and as he plummets past the second floor a chap on a balcony asks him how it's going. "All right so far," says the suicidee.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
What measures are in place to prevent the whole population of the U.K. moving to Brighton?

If you could earn as much in one week on the UK minimum/ living wage as you could for one months work in your home country that analogy might have some relevance but that is not the case so it doesn't.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here