Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Best album of the year so far (2012)

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey

HH Brighton

Jul 25, 2003
Put this on this morning as recommended on this thread and half way through the first track I already want this album, nice one!

Edit. The2Bears that is

Listen tot he end, the last 3 tracks are quality. They are at the Big Beach Boutique with Fatboy at the Amex in June !!!

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
So far in 2012

Islet
Django Django
Dr John
Pop 1280
Here We Go Magic
Blondes
Andrew Bird
John Talabot
Lana Del Rey
Maps & Atlases
Pond
Spiritualized
Lilacs & Champagne
Lotus Plaza
Hear Hums
Mark Van Hoen
Death Grips

I was thinking it had been a really slow year until recently but 3 records have blown me away in the last fortnight - Islet - Illuminating People's best moments are reminiscent of Can & PiL, Dr John's most recent effort might just be the best of his long career (it's produced by Dan from the Black Keys) & The Death Grips LP is mindblowing, I didn't think they's be able to improve on Ex-Military but they have.

Otherwise the Django Django record is such a grower. I think the Lana Del Rey album has been unfairly maligned due to the ridiculous hype surrounding it. Yes it is probably a couple of songs too long but the rest is consistently excellent. Blue Jeans is one of the best pop songs I've heard in years.

I'm very much looking forward to the new Liars album which drops in June and I think the PiL record is going to be a cracker

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
My Avatar says it all but
Field Muisc- Plumb is my favourite so far
Django Django release is worth a listen and very much hoping to see them at Great Escape.
British Sea Power have released an EP at each of their club nights all of which are outstanding
Here We Go Magic CD I did not think was out yet but have heard them a fair bit on six music and like.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
My Avatar says it all but
Field Muisc- Plumb is my favourite so far
Django Django release is worth a listen and very much hoping to see them at Great Escape.
British Sea Power have released an EP at each of their club nights all of which are outstanding
Here We Go Magic CD I did not think was out yet but have heard them a fair bit on six music and like.

Really like Field Music & haven't given that album enough time yet. Have to get on it!

Smithy

Apr 26, 2009
Hove
Jack White album is ace.

Looking forward to the new Beach House album. Word is it is very good.

Oh, and Open Your Heart by The Men - a great noise rock album.

Last edited:

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I'll start us off: Blood red shoes - In time to voices. A brilliant album:guitar:
Never bought any Blood Red Shoes, but really liked them live about 6 years ago, when I used to leave the house. Will check the album out, thanks.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Old Fart - two old albums repurchased having lost them in house moves

Zappa in New York - Double CD of live performances from 1978, wonderful musicianship and totally non-PC songs e.g. I Promise Not to Come in Your Mouth :clap:

Spinner - Brian Eno & Jah Wobble - lovely ambient stuff from the 1990's....

Exiled in Exeter

Jul 16, 2003
W3D
Blood red shoes - In time to voices. A brilliant album:guitar:

I’ve been listening to this album during the week and have to say I really like it.

Cannot wait to see them live next week.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
That Chromatics album is an absolute stormer, love it. Here's a few stand-outs for me:

Francois and the Atlas Mountains have released a lovely poppy French number in E Volo Love. They are based in the UK and the influence shows. French music done well can sound great and this is definitely in that category.

Those Darlins - Screws Get Loose. 3 girls on guitars with a US garage band sound that rocks like nobody's business.

School of Seven Bells - Ghostory. This is more of the same from the hottest musical twins on the planet. If you liked their last album then you'll like this too.

Sea Of Bees - Orangefarbene. I saw this band last night at the Haunt (and actually went backstage and met them all). She wears her heart on her sleeve does Jools Bee.

But.....so far the album of the year for me is Crybaby, the eponymously titled album from Bristolian, Danny Coughlan. His voice is about the best you will hear this year and is quintessentially English. He has the range of Orbison but the nuances, inflections and turns of phrase of Hawley or Morrissey. His album is an absolute joy to listen to and I'm not sure if it's bang up-to-date or firmly a 60s feel or simply timeless. It's mainly acoustic and bittersweet pop, here's two of his songs. (how Smiths-like is that first song title, eh?)

I Cherish The Heartbreak More Than The Love That I Lost

[yt]fDGUb2Vk08Q[/yt]

When the Lights Go Out

[yt]G5rbCkVLirg[/yt]

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
I've not got round to listening to the Leonard Cohen album yet and the Beach Boys, Portishead and St Etienne albums earmarked for later this year are ones to watch out for. Do remix albums qualify as 2012? If so, then Bonobo - Black Sands Remixed and Grinderman 2 remixed are the business.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I'm currently listening to VCMG's SSss album which is Vince Clarke's and Martin Gore's take on teutonic techno. Think the business end of Berghain and you're in the right area.

One thing it does do is remind me I need a better hi-fi for my office.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
PS disappointed with the new of Montreal album.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here