Best album of the year so far (2012)

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Standing in the way of control
AlunaGeorge. Haven't released an LP yet but the EP is pretty much all I've listened to. Only a slightly wanky exaggeration to say that the male half, a producer, George Reid, has completely changed the way I think about music and production. Also, the new single shows Aluna can do more with her voice than the high-pitched 90s garage schtick.

[yt]VfCSx5641U4[/yt]

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
Going to add Twins by Ty Segall and Line The Wall by Bo Ningen to my best of the year.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
Was just going to add Twins by Ty Segall myself. Saw him at the Green Door Store not too long ago and he puts on an incredible live show.

He is back in England before Christmas so hoping for some dates.

Fourteenth Eye

Face for Radio
Jul 9, 2004
Brighton
Ginger - 555% for me

Pledge music is the way forward for music releases and gives the fan an input into the making of an album

There are some great pledge campaigns running at the mo so get involved people

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
I couldn't get to grips with the Dexys Midnight Runners (now re-branded as just Dexys) album "One Day I'm Going To Soar". You kind of expect something pretentious from Kevin Rowland but this album is just way too self-indulgent to be taken seriously. The album has got rave reviews but to me it sounds like a concept album where they've taken old Billy Joel songs and given them a pub-funk makeover.

And the same reviewers who have torn Tim Burgess apart for his haircut don't seem to mind that Dexys all dress the same with the theme being Street Jazz Saxophonist - beret, flying jacket, chunky knit fisherman jersey, big pleated trousers. Not even the presence of Mick Talbot rescues it for me and he's usually a reliable barometer of a good album.

I'd be interested to hear anyone else's views on the album.

Last edited:

rcf0712

Out Here In The Perimeter
Feb 26, 2009
Perth, Western Australia
In our Heads - Hot Chip, or El Camino - Black Keys, probably the former, quite awesome, saw then in Singapore in June and they cut it, big time.

The aloof gatekeeper

Oct 11, 2011
I tend not to listen to albums; don't have enough time. But the only band who've got three songs on my Best of 2012 playlist are We Are The Physics, so my vote goes to Your friend, the atom.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
all of the Guided By Voices/ Robert Pollard solo albums (that doesn't leave much room for the rest of the top 10)

Spain - "The Soul Of Spain"
John Murry - The Graceless Age
Sun Kill Moon - Among the Leaves
Mark Eitzel - Don't Be A Stranger

JamesAndTheGiantHead

Sep 2, 2011
Worthing
Whilst seemingly unremarkable at first, a lot like Yellow House, Grizzly Bear's 'Shield' is a great album. I don't know how, or why, I can never get into their stuff straight away, but after the 4th or 5th listen everything clicks.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports