Best Albion keeper

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Who would get your vote? We've had some decent ones down the years - Mark Beeney, John Keeley, Perry Digweed, Ben Roberts, Graham Moseley, Eric Steele, Peter Grummit, Joe Corrigan, Michel Kuipers, Brian Powney, Eric Gill, Bob 'Pom Pom' Whiting...

Last edited:

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
I thought Eric steele was like fdm a fantastic shot stopper .
He would get my vote too, brilliant reactions. Always prefered him to Moseley. Met the geezer once, too - lovely fella. And none of the others did Groucho Marx impersonations in front of the North Stand...

Unfortunately his days were numbered by Mullery after he had that bust-up with Gary Williams at Old Trafford.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Joe Corrigan was quality even if he was on his way down. Beeney and Keeley jostling for 2nd place IMO. It was good to see John Keeley on the Amex pitch last Saturday, but disappointing there was no retro chant for him as he was warming up with their reserve keeper just before the 2nd half.

Oscar

Nov 10, 2003
I'd say Beeney just edges out Keeley. But a special mention to Kuipers for hit shot-stopping.

Surrey_Albion

Jan 17, 2011
Horley
Slightly off topic does anyone remember the name of the goal keeper (very weel known chap) who played for Leeds in the 2-2 draw at the Goldstone back in late eighties who jumped up to touch the cross bar and got his feet caught in the net, I cant thi nk of his name and its doing my head in

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Slightly off topic does anyone remember the name of the goal keeper (very weel known chap) who played for Leeds in the 2-2 draw at the Goldstone back in late eighties who jumped up to touch the cross bar and got his feet caught in the net, I cant thi nk of his name and its doing my head in

John Lukic?

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Big Joe; he was just immense.

I would watch him and just marvel at how good he must have been at his peak, and how amazing it must have been for Forest and Liverpool fans watching Shilton and Clemence evry week.

Daffy Duck

Stop bloody moaning!
Nov 7, 2009
GOSBTS
For me, Bert McGonigal. Used to dive at player's feet to get the ball all the time and we'd all wince, really brave keeper and a great shot-stopper.
(Really showing my age with that one!)

And the award for drop-dead gorgeous keeper, well it just has to be Ben Roberts.

Mileoakman

Aug 11, 2003
The name gives it away
Eric Gill for me. I think he still holds the record for most continuous appearances by an Albion player, (247 I think). Can't remember him ever having a bad game for us. Very reliable.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports