Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Best Albion keeper

Mileoakman

Aug 11, 2003
The name gives it away
Eric Gill for me. I think he still holds the record for most continuous appearances by an Albion player, (247 I think). Can't remember him ever having a bad game for us. Very reliable.

Meant to add that I wonder how some of the older keepers we had would have coped with the Gus style. In those days it was a quick bounce up and down and a mighty kick up field, no tippy tappy from them!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Where's Nicky Rust?

Beeney, Keeley, even safe as houses.
Anyone from those 3 would do me.

Paris

Jul 17, 2010
13th district
I remember going to the Goldstone in the mid-90's when Nicky Rust was in goal. I didn't think he was all that but he played for us during a period when we were experiencing difficult times on and off the pitch. Probably a victim of his size as well. It obviously helps to be over 6 foot when you're between the sticks.

Kuipers for me.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Rust got a lot of stick during the end of his time with us, which I always thought was undeserved. Certainly remember him having some outstanding games.

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
Peter Grummitt was the best I've seen. If he was playing today he'd be in the England squad.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Slightly off topic does anyone remember the name of the goal keeper (very weel known chap) who played for Leeds in the 2-2 draw at the Goldstone back in late eighties who jumped up to touch the cross bar and got his feet caught in the net, I cant thi nk of his name and its doing my head in

Definitely Mervyn Day. John Lukic joined Leeds after they had got promoted to the top flight.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
My FAVOURITE was 100% John Keeley. Terrific keeper, and a great bloke.

He was a brilliant squash player, who was a regular at Corals, when I worked there as a teenager. I used to knock a ball about with him sometimes. A couple of years later I was at college up North, and he always sorted me a couple of gratefully recieved comps, when I got to a game up there. Top lad.

The BEST in my 30 years was Ben Roberts.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Joe Corrigan was quality even if he was on his way down. Beeney and Keeley jostling for 2nd place IMO. It was good to see John Keeley on the Amex pitch last Saturday, but disappointing there was no retro chant for him as he was warming up with their reserve keeper just before the 2nd half.

He was announced to the crowd before kick off, Sim, and received a generous round of applause, and a burst of "Keelo, Keelo". You just missed it, because you arrived late!

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
Ben Roberts. If only he hadn't had injury problems

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Tony Meola

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here