Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Best Albion keeper

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
but in the Moseley v Steele debate, I always went for Steele.

eric-steele-book.jpg

Legend!

Last edited:

Peter Grummit. The best I've seen since 1971. John Vinicombe also rated him as the best. The best Brighton keeper not to play for the first team I've seen is Alan Knight who went on to play for Pompey for the record amount of games for one club. Now manager of Dorchester Town.

Last edited:

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Peter Grummitt all day long - never seemed to put a foot wrong with us

BearwoodSeagull

Feb 2, 2012
Chalkhouse Green, Oxon
Brian Powney was my first goalkeeping hero, but the best?

1) Peter Grummit
2) John Keeley
3) Graham Moseley

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Peter Grummitt was the best I've seen. If he was playing today he'd be in the England squad.

About 20% ahead of all the other keepers, but he did not actually play many games for the Albion. Lots of good England keepers at the time. Other than that I would say Kuipers.

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
1 Eric Steele - superb shot stopper.
2 Mark Beeney - huge potential wasted at Leeds
3 Peter Grummitt - his bets years were at Forest.. had a ğicture on my wall of his swallow dive... buıt honestly he was past his best with us, like Corrigan

Rust was an exceptional young keeper playing for us at the wrong time... like many players his career was destroyed by loss of confidence by being at the wrong club... at another club he may well have played for England.... however sure we could say that about many players..... Maheta Molango anyone?

kevo

Mar 8, 2008

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
About 20% ahead of all the other keepers, but he did not actually play many games for the Albion.

158 appearances - that's quite a lot!!

The Oldman

I like the Hat
NSC Patron
Jul 12, 2003
In the shadow of Seaford Head
As with the other Oldies Eric Gill is the one for me but I do wonder how he would do in the modern game. Liked Brian Powney too he could pull off some amazing saves for a small guy. Of the later years Eric Steele was excellent. John Keely best of the modern ones.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I cant believe that Harry Baldwin [The Penalty King] has not had a mention

He was my Great Uncle (true story).

I presume he gets overlooked on this thread simply because his time was too long ago, for many (any?) to remember having watched him.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Hard choice,but probably Eric Steele for me.
Think it was Peterborough we signed him from;anyway I remember first being impressed by him when he was the opposition goalie at the Goldstone many moons ago!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here