Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Ben White - Sings new FOUR year deal.

Starry

Captain Of The Crew
Oct 10, 2004
this thread fascinates me. i've missed 2 games this season and don't really buy this ben white hype
he is a good championship centre back. but he is small. he is terrible in the air, my 7 year old can head a ball clear better than he can. he looks good because he goes up against collins, puscas, taylor and not mane, salah, vardy. he's done an alright job for us this season but he can bench warm for some other pl team next year.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
this thread fascinates me. i've missed 2 games this season and don't really buy this ben white hype
he is a good championship centre back. but he is small. he is terrible in the air, my 7 year old can head a ball clear better than he can. he looks good because he goes up against collins, puscas, taylor and not mane, salah, vardy. he's done an alright job for us this season but he can bench warm for some other pl team next year.

Sounds like he is going to have the same challenges as Webster with the step up...and it is a big step up. You clearly have a much better idea about just how good he is than the vast majority on this thread. It could be that he is not walking into any team in the PL as a star player. Some on here already have him ticked as a shoo in, we’ll see.

Can we sign your son? :wink:

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
any evidence for that?

It is bollocks. The bloke plays for (ever-choking) Leeds United in the ferociously competitive Championship and is the catalyst that gets them back to the EPL. Feted by pundits and mentioned in England dispatches. Ben White is a Brighton player, with a progressive coach, a connected and admired DOF and a chairman who’s £300m in the hole chasing the club’s stability for a generation.

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
In all probability he will come back to us but if he doesn't it won't be to Leeds.

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park

Interesting. What about his performance against Arsenal though? He came up against Kane at Newport and kept him very quiet. I think you’re bluffing. You’ll never trick The Lizard you know

rothergull

Worthing ex pat
Jan 25, 2008
rotherham

Looked pretty good v Kane!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gpFWSA6HVJA

GloryDays

Jul 5, 2011
Leyton, E10.
Watched BW play against Cardiff my first thought was he will have to improve dramatically to play in the PL. Got sold by Cardiff players a couple of times far to easily, PL strikers and we are a goal down.

That seems to be an exception rather than a rule. First game back from lockdown, too. So could be a bit ring rusty.

From what I get, the hype is real. He looks class, calm, modern, technical. The champ is a slog and to come out of that on top is a testament to ability whatever age...but certainly a stamp of approval, a stripe on his arm. We’ll have to see how he adapts to PL. You’re right that he will have to step up. Absolutely legit that question marks exist, and for good reason. I think BW will adapt and, to remind everyone again, he is very young. It might not happen for him straight away and therefore maybe not with us.
I don’t think he’s good enough to be a centre back. Too small.

We will keep him and play him as a defensive midfielder.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He’s 6’ 1”. Cannavaro was 5’ 9”.

Starry

Captain Of The Crew
Oct 10, 2004
nah, not bluffing. i genuinely don't buy into the hype around him. he has been very decent at championship level, but i think will be proven wanting week in week out in the premier league. one decent championship season doesn't guarantee a premier league wonderkid, leeds fans have watched an absolute load of shite for 15 years, the worst of the worst have been in our back four and so when someone who is kind of alright turns up he is suddenly the second coming of maldini. he's not.

he is a decent kid, i just don't think he is walking into a top half premier league team nor worth any of the silly (especially now the bottom has fallen out of football) fees mentioned.

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
Could any of our CB’s end up as adapted DCM next season?

Would Webster for example click in this role with less pressure on being the final line of defence?

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
I don’t think he’s good enough to be a centre back. Too small.

We will keep him and play him as a defensive midfielder.

Worth noting he’s the same height or taller than Ben Mee, James Tarkowski, Steve Cook, Fikayo Tomori, Thiago Silva, Javier Mascherano, Carles Puyol to name a few.

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003

This post fascinates me, because every comment from Leeds fans I have read before this one absolutely rave about him.

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
An article in The Athletic by the Leeds reporter Phil Hay following the Fulham game:

https://theathletic.co.uk/1896963/2020/06/28/ben-white-leeds-united-aleksandar-mitrovic/

A couple of paragraph's from the article:

This could be a defining season for Leeds and in it, White has been a defining player: a cold and calculated defender whose resistance to Fulham and Mitrovic on Saturday had Premier League pedigree running through it. Mitrovic tried to smile and joke with him after landing his elbow, giving White a friendly pat on the stomach, but White’s face was fixed and stony and Mitrovic failed to draw a cursory glance from him. Clubs pay for that mentality and they pay well. It is one reason why Brighton & Hove Albion value White in the £20 million bracket.

As Liverpool and Manchester City watched White closely before lockdown, Brighton — his parent club — began to focus on extending his contract. He has two years left on his existing deal but The Athletic understands that White earns less than £10,000 a week at Brighton, a salary that fails to reflect the quality of his first season in the Championship or how his stock has risen. Brighton are yet to tempt him to take improved terms but, in the words of manager Graham Potter, he is a “very important part of our future”. And Brighton are within a stone’s throw of another season in the Premier League.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
Ben White

nah, not bluffing. i genuinely don't buy into the hype around him. he has been very decent at championship level, but i think will be proven wanting week in week out in the premier league. one decent championship season doesn't guarantee a premier league wonderkid, leeds fans have watched an absolute load of shite for 15 years, the worst of the worst have been in our back four and so when someone who is kind of alright turns up he is suddenly the second coming of maldini. he's not.

he is a decent kid, i just don't think he is walking into a top half premier league team nor worth any of the silly (especially now the bottom has fallen out of football) fees mentioned.

Some reasons to buy into the hype:

- Firstly look at the Leeds fans perceptions. They’re top of the league and unanimously praising Ben White and are desperate for him to stay. That’s the most telling to me: https://thisisfutbol.com/2020/04/twitter/leeds-united-fans-react-to-footage-of-ben-white/

- He’s played every single minute of their Championship campaign.

- Not unlike us with our own certain Lewis Dunk. We all had a quiet confidence that he’d step up to the Premiership.

- And if you don’t trust the above, how about other people in the game: Bielsa and our own Graham Potter are all on record speaking positively on him, and even a certain England manager. Yes, Gareth Southgate who famously tends to overlook our players has singled out Ben White as one to watch for a possible England call up:

https://www.theargus.co.uk/sport/18517292.gareth-southgate-ben-white-possible-england-chance/

He has also been linked with Liverpool and Man City moves.

And finally just look at some of his highlights this season. Looks like a perfect style of CB for GP:

https://twitter.com/zwoddeytb/status/1252553115045371904?s=21

I do half agree with you that we should keep things in check, as the step up to Premier League as we know is huge (Webster is testament to that). But the cubs long term strategy, which let’s face it, many of us were sceptical at one point, is now starting to pay off.

Ben White is a potential 40m+ player and will be like a new signing for us this summer.

Last edited:

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here

Yeah, right!!

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Some reasons to buy into the hype:

- Firstly look at the Leeds fans perceptions. They’re top of the league and unanimously praising Ben White and are desperate for him to stay. That’s the most telling to me: https://thisisfutbol.com/2020/04/twitter/leeds-united-fans-react-to-footage-of-ben-white/

- He’s played every single minute of their Championship campaign.

- Not unlike us with our own certain Lewis Dunk. We all had a quiet confidence that he’d step up to the Premiership.

- And if you don’t trust the above, how about other people in the game: Bielsa and our own Graham Potter are all on record speaking positively on him, and even a certain England manager. Yes, Gareth Southgate who famously tends to overlook our players has singled out Ben White as one to watch for a possible England call up:

https://www.theargus.co.uk/sport/18517292.gareth-southgate-ben-white-possible-england-chance/

He has also been linked with Liverpool and Man City moves.

And finally just look at some of his highlights this season. Looks like a perfect style of CB for GP:

https://twitter.com/zwoddeytb/status/1252553115045371904?s=21

I do half agree with you that we should keep things in check, as the step up to Premier League as we know is huge (Webster is testament to that). But the cubs long term strategy, which let’s face it, many of us were sceptical at one point, is now starting to pay off.

Ben White is a potential 40m+ player and will be like a new signing for us this summer.

Putting to one side the current financial issues facing the transfer market he is easily worth £40 million, we hold the cards way out of any Leed's dreams

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here