Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Ben White - Sings new FOUR year deal.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Jury out for me. I see White as perfect to play in a back three alongside Dunk and Duffy/Webster, but not convinced he is strong enough or big enough to cope in a two.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Here's a scenario, what if Leeds offered us 50 million for White, who wanted to stay at promoted Leeds, guaranteed first team footie or come back to us and be 3rd choice centre half. Just a thought could we turn down that amount for an unproven Premier league player (and drop Webby who has already bedded in )

Leeds just don't have this sort of money.

White and Webster will be competing for a place next season and this is the sort of competition for places you need to begin the trek to established mid-table

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Ben White was already showing promise in his previous loan at Newport County, becoming their player of the season.

Whilst not really knowing how good White is, I think it is worth listening to [MENTION=3003]Starry[/MENTION] who is a long term Leeds fan who has seen them as Champions (not of Europe of course!) and probably has a decent eye for player potential. He may be wrong about White but it’s good to get a view from a fan who can see and accept the shortcomings in his club. He was a great and rational contributor on here in our League 1 days.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
His body build. He’s wafer thin.

He will slot in perfectly infront of the back two like bridcutt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He slim but he's not tiny. A quick Google tells me he's similar in height and weight to players such as Koscielny, Thiago Silva and Pepe. Taller and heavier than Ake, for example. Anyway, gone are the days when you need 2 big lumps at the back- White stands out for his reading of the game (he seems to make a lot of interceptions), calmness on the ball, and passing.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Could Ben White's performances have anything to do with Marcelo Bielsa?

No. He’s just a very talented player who has been putting in MotM performances at Leeds from his first game there.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Yes it has, he’s really struggled physically, which may also be White’s struggle as well.

Encouragingly he apparently had Mitrovic is his pocket, the same Mitrovic who ran Dunk and Duffy ragged last season

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Yes it has, he’s really struggled physically, which may also be White’s struggle as well.

How many physically imposing Premier League forwards are there?

Duffy could handle the physical battle against anyone but against the top sides it's almost irrelevant.

Anyway, it seems like White handled himself alright up against Mitro yesterday, even after the elbow.

Last edited:

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
How many physically imposing Premier League forwards are there?

Duffy could handle the physical battle against anyone but against the top sides it's almost irrelevant.

Anyway, it seems like White handled himself alright up against Mitro yesterday, even after the elbow.

Well, on the basis that Webster has shrugged off the ball by several forwards this season, it would appear that physique is not a requirement, just the physical battle.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Encouragingly he apparently had Mitrovic is his pocket, the same Mitrovic who ran Dunk and Duffy ragged last season

I didn't watch it, but I think this years Mitro seems less motivated for some reason, but nonetheless promising.

Reading The Athletic, the Leeds fans are convinced he'll remain with them, largely on the basis he's friends with one of their players. Of course doesn't have friends anywhere else......

The fee quoted by the 'reporter' was £20m!!!

Of course I have felt it necessary to contribute and highlight that Brighton are under no pressure to sell and certainly not at £20m.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Well, on the basis that Webster has shrugged off the ball by several forwards this season, it would appear that physique is not a requirement, just the physical battle.

Interestingly, Webster is a couple of inches taller than White but a few kilos lighter (according to Google- I haven't weighed them myself). But as you say, the physique itself isn't the key, it's what you do with it. I've played against some little guys who were incredibly strong on the ball.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Interestingly, Webster is a couple of inches taller than White but a few kilos lighter (according to Google- I haven't weighed them myself). But as you say, the physique itself isn't the key, it's what you do with it. I've played against some little guys who were incredibly strong on the ball.

Quite, Dalglish and Aguero were/are very strong despite their stature.

Actually I thought Connolly was doing okay at Leicester the other night........... so size isn't everything !! LoL

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here