Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bedwetters gone quiet

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
How do we know that the wetting of the beds of the bed-wetters did not add impetus to the acquisition of new players?

Pleased as I am with the additions to the squad of the past fortnight, I stand by my criticism of the club for leaving the squad so depleted, both in numbers and in quality, that it was woefully unprepared for the new season.

Virtually to empty the shelves in time for the start of the season, and to begin to restock them once the season is under way and vital points are being played for, is a risky strategy, is it not?

That said, I applaud and thank the club for giving us what appears to be a squad of players good enough to challenge for automatic promotion.

The upshot is that the club is united again, Gus Poyet and his hangers-on have been purged, and the Sami Hyypia era has begun in earnest.

Up the Albion!

How correct

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
I was never worried - Not in the slightest.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
No, sorry, you can't get away with that. The abusive term bedwetter was routinely hurled at anyone who had the nerve to think that the team still looked shite at Birmingham, and that the squad looked as poor as it had for a long time. I don't know how many people actually called for Burke and Barber's heads on a plate - I wasn't one of them - and I didn't bother counting them. Most so called bedwetters were just people who were concerned that up to then we'd had a shite transfer window, and were worldly wise enough to know that it's often wise (in all forms of life, not just football) to regard promises of 'jam tomorrow' with a pinch of salt, unless or until the promise is delivered.

A fortnight on from the sale of Buckley, things are looking much brighter. Good, I'm happy, and hoping for a good season. But I absolutely refuse to make any apology for not feeling happy a fortnight ago.

Now, all this has gone on long enough. I don't know if the mods can do this, but it would be good if they could impose a short ban on anyone labelling other posters as bedwetters from now on (and an equal ban for use of the equally offensive and abusive term, 'lickers', an insult I haven't stooped to using either).

Complete rubbish. As I've said before, the term bedwetter is ridiculous but it was used to describe people who were throwing their toys out of the pram and abusing Burke, Barber, Bloom etc. There were a lot of them.

I don't know one fan who wasn't concerned after Birmingham. However, some of us trusted the club and at least said we'd give them until the transfer window closes. Others were screaming about the recruitment in early June. When we signed Texeira and Holla, people on here abused the club saying they were poor signings when they hadn't seen them play. How is that a sensible reaction?

I also think if you didn't follow the line of the club is rubbish, you are automatically slagged off for having "rose tinted spectacles" or called a "licker" as you say. That was for saying you would give the club until the close of the transfer window.

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
Let's be honest. There were one or two (or three, four and five) on the Leeds thread who were a complete embarassment and rightly pulled up for it.
And the goons saying Bloom was selling up.
And the people criticising David Burke for responsibilities outside his remit.

This should be aimed at them really. I assume they know who they are and already feel silly so it's probably not really required.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Complete rubbish. As I've said before, the term bedwetter is ridiculous but it was used to describe people who were throwing their toys out of the pram and abusing Burke, Barber, Bloom etc. There were a lot of them.

I don't know one fan who wasn't concerned after Birmingham. However, some of us trusted the club and at least said we'd give them until the transfer window closes. Others were screaming about the recruitment in early June. When we signed Texeira and Holla, people on here abused the club saying they were poor signings when they hadn't seen them play. How is that a sensible reaction?

I also think if you didn't follow the line of the club is rubbish, you are automatically slagged off for having "rose tinted spectacles" or called a "licker" as you say. That was for saying you would give the club until the close of the transfer window.

100% this. Case closed.

But OP if you're going to start a thread criticising so called 'bedwetters' when you were one yourself, you're lucky to have not been chased out of NSC by a mob. :thumbsup:

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

You have a very strange interpretation of the term 'complete rubbish'. To say that the abusive term 'bed-wetter' was accurately and appropriately targeted at a few people who were calling for the heads of Burke and Burke - now that IS rubbish. You know as well as everybody else that the term was randomly hurled, like sh1t from a muck-spreader, at anyone who dared to express any sort of concern.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
You have a very strange interpretation of the term 'complete rubbish'. To say that the abusive term 'bed-wetter' was accurately and appropriately targeted at a few people who were calling for the heads of Burke and Burke - now that IS rubbish. You know as well as everybody else that the term was randomly hurled, like sh1t from a muck-spreader, at anyone who dared to express any sort of concern.

It's fair to say that relatively few people used the term (no more than said "lickers"). Also, the people going over the top weren't just the ones calling for Burke/Barber to be sacked.

I've seen a few posts from you that I would regard as excessive and not giving the club a chance to finalise their business, which to me is the logical reaction. Post Birmingham there was a lot of concern about the current squad but the reaction of quite a few people on here was excessive and over the top.

Alongside this, if we'd ended up a few signings short of what NSC thought we needed, I can guarantee that people like you would be finding everyone who remained calm, saying I told you so and gloating about how they were right.

The_Viper

Oct 10, 2010
Charlotte, NC

Yep, and to call a ban on the term bedwetter would be a disaster mate, given that the mods were usually leading from the front in their abuse of anyone concerned.

Club does poorly in pre-season and key players leave, people are worried.

Club does better and buys some replacements, people are not so worried.

Astonishing stuff.

LOL

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
I want some credit for coining the phrase bed wetter on here. :angry:

Dec 29, 2011
Tedious shite, this thread. Let's all pat each other on the back because we're better fans than them?

I will admit I'm much more (cautiously) optimistic now. I would however like to see how we perform againt a half decent side before declaring that we'll storm the league.

The attitude of some fans, airing themselves in this thread beggars belief. Contrary opinions are derided and shouted down with infantile insults like bedwetters. How old are you?

Edit: I still think O'Grady is cack and we could have done a lot better.

This. We had plenty of reason to worry. The squad was shite, the performances and tactics were poor and the transfer policy seemed non existent. I think we had every right to worry, luckily the club has pulled a blinder in the transfer market now and the season ahead looks exciting.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Alongside this, if we'd ended up a few signings short of what NSC thought we needed, I can guarantee that people like you would be finding everyone who remained calm, saying I told you so and gloating about how they were right.
Not going to get drawn into a long and boring argument. The abusive term 'bedwetters' was vastly over used - as probably was 'lickers' too, which I didn't use. I do not like name calling.

Re: your last paragraph, though, please do not assume to know what I would do in different circumstances. You do not know me, and are certainly in no position to make any guarantees.

Waynflete

Nov 10, 2009
Anyone else think they should make a film called Bedwetters vs Lickers? Like Monsters vs Aliens only much more tedious.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
The upshot is that the club is united again, Gus Poyet and his hangers-on have been purged, and the Sami Hyypia era has begun in earnest.

Up the Albion!

In amongst all the uber fans preening themselves for being so patient and now smugly sneering at anyone who thought the recruitment up to the day following the Birmingham game was a worry, this is almost as satisfying as having all these new players. There was a nasty Gus Poyet shadow hanging over this club last season and Buckley's departure has finally lifted it.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
I'm sure I'll get some criticism, but I was presumably considered a "bedwetter" seeing it seemed to include anyone who dared to suggest we were leaving signings late.

Well, yes, I'm very pleased with the signings we've made, but if my definition above is correct, then I am still what you would consider a bedwetter as we DID leave the signings later than would have been preferable IMHO, and that cost us the ability to hit the ground running on day 1 of the season, when we were AWFUL against Sheff Weds, and by all accounts no better vs Birmingham.

Obviously, I'm delighted we have now made what looks like some excellent additions to the squad, but anyone who thinks we wouldn't have been better off having them in for August 1st, so that we could have torn Sheff Weds apart is kidding themselves.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
I was fully expectent of the club to finish Mid-table this season, I saw it as a chance to go through a transisitonal period that we needed after Gus and Oscar.

I was disapointed in the lack of transfer activity but never saw this as a sign of Bloom pulling out or not being intrested, simply put this down to FFP and potential other issues behind the scenes.

I am suprised at how quickly things have been wrapped up, however from what we see on the surface of things, lots must have been going on behind the scenes to bring all of these players in, in such a short space. I do think the first couple of results gave them a bit of a kick up the arse, but overall we have got to be very happy where we are now.

The only moan I have is that players couldnt be signed up before the season starts, however I dont think the club are soley responsible for this and go back to Gus stating transfer deadlines should be ended by the time the season starts. however that will never happen as many teams around europe KO at different times.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here