Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bedwetters gone quiet

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Anyone that says they weren't in the slightest bit worried after the Ward deal was hijacked has nerves of steel but some of the rubbish on here was ridiculous. There were even some people seriously forecasting relegation.

Equally, I think we've now gone too far the other way. This window isn't over yet, I still think we've got ins and outs to come.

Last edited:

SweatyMexican

Mar 31, 2013
Hiding in the background waiting for us to miss out on automatic promotion by 6 points which, after a whole season in which anything can happen, will obviously still be the fault of the club for not signing people soon enough.

Or January, when we fail to land Messi on a free.

Or we do sign Messi on a free, and then they start complaining about how we're only picking up free transfers who nobody wants.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Or we do sign Messi on a free, and then they start complaining about how we're only picking up free transfers who nobody wants.

For every Bridcutt or Ince there's an Obika or Holroyd in the bargain basement, I think we've done reasonably well all things considering.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Anyone that says they weren't in the slightest bit worried after the Ward deal was hijacked has nerves of steel but some of the rubbish on here was ridiculous. There were even some people seriously forecasting relegation.

Equally, I think we've now gone too far the other way. This window isn't over yet, I still think we've got ins and outs to come.

Do you write Barber's programme notes? :ohmy:

The_Viper

Oct 10, 2010
Charlotte, NC
The only thing worse than fans showing worry and concern for a football side is the other set of super fans backslapping and guffawing and their own 'victory'. I'm sure those concerned about our transfer dealings on August 9th are GUTTED at our stronger looking side now, I am devastated at our change from potential bottom 6 side to potential top 8 with our flurry of strong signings, providing they gel. :lolol:

The Terminator

Aug 7, 2010
I honestly believe that in the situation we were in after Birmingham people had a right to voice their opinions.

Now several new signings later there isn't much to moan about as the things that the "bedwetters" were moaning about/asking for have been improved.

People moaned that we needed new signings and now we have new signings there is nothing to moan about.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
But surely that was only about 5 people that we're behaving like that?

I think it was a few more than that, but they were very vocal, and had a habit of starting threads, which perhaps skewed the responses of many. Piss-poor recruitment before the first match, absolutely, but getting players to sign, as we found with Ward, Clayton, Upson and Lingard, all of whom were offered deals, is not easy.

Decent players are happy to wait around for the best offer, patience is a virtue not a vice.

For me top eight will be

Norwich
Cardiff
Derby
Boro
Forest
Wolves
Albion
Bournemouth

but in which order I'm not too sure (Norwich and Forest for automatic would be my guess).

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
And if we don't now get promotion there are going to be RECORD sails of Piglets HUMBLE Pie

I believe Piglets have a Pride inspired special pie on sale Saturday, made from chicken and cheddar, at a special price of £1.29 because they have been left out in the sun for a couple of days and are also past their sell by date. Look out for Cheesy Cock pie from all the concourses.

Sweeney Todd

Apr 24, 2008
Oxford/Lancing
How do we know that the wetting of the beds of the bed-wetters did not add impetus to the acquisition of new players?

Pleased as I am with the additions to the squad of the past fortnight, I stand by my criticism of the club for leaving the squad so depleted, both in numbers and in quality, that it was woefully unprepared for the new season.

Virtually to empty the shelves in time for the start of the season, and to begin to restock them once the season is under way and vital points are being played for, is a risky strategy, is it not?

That said, I applaud and thank the club for giving us what appears to be a squad of players good enough to challenge for automatic promotion.

The upshot is that the club is united again, Gus Poyet and his hangers-on have been purged, and the Sami Hyypia era has begun in earnest.

Up the Albion!

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Agree totally. Watching the abysmal performance at Birmingham was grim.

But yours is a measured, mature and considered viewpoint, I think the 'bedwetters' label is aimed at those claiming for the head of David Burke and wanting their ST money back after claiming money had been taken from them under false pretences. Tony Bloom asked for a little patience, some people were too busy sharpening their knives to allow him that reasonable request.

No, sorry, you can't get away with that. The abusive term bedwetter was routinely hurled at anyone who had the nerve to think that the team still looked shite at Birmingham, and that the squad looked as poor as it had for a long time. I don't know how many people actually called for Burke and Barber's heads on a plate - I wasn't one of them - and I didn't bother counting them. Most so called bedwetters were just people who were concerned that up to then we'd had a shite transfer window, and were worldly wise enough to know that it's often wise (in all forms of life, not just football) to regard promises of 'jam tomorrow' with a pinch of salt, unless or until the promise is delivered.

A fortnight on from the sale of Buckley, things are looking much brighter. Good, I'm happy, and hoping for a good season. But I absolutely refuse to make any apology for not feeling happy a fortnight ago.

Now, all this has gone on long enough. I don't know if the mods can do this, but it would be good if they could impose a short ban on anyone labelling other posters as bedwetters from now on (and an equal ban for use of the equally offensive and abusive term, 'lickers', an insult I haven't stooped to using either).

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
The irony of him starting a thread about 'Bedwetters' given this post by him on the 14/08 referring to other bedwetters...

I am now right next to you, slashing everywhere

Buckley sold.
Ward binned us.
March going....

On top of us stinking out the AMEX on Saturday with that stale, turgid, indecipherable mess, I am losing it

Personally I think everyone was a little worried deep down.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
How do we know that the wetting of the beds of the bed-wetters did not add impetus to the acquisition of new players?

I think it unlikely that Tony Bloom would change course in relation to his £200 million investment in the Albion due to a minority of fans getting their knickers in a twist.

Southy

Jul 7, 2003
The real problem here is about the ludicrous transfer window running into the start of the season which allows agents to hijack the game and demand ludicrous fees etc for their clients. Meaning that clubs who aren't prepared to play ball have to hold out into the first few weeks of the season before things get sensible again. Crazy and helps no one but agents and a few payers who get lucky.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
No, sorry, you can't get away with that. The abusive term bedwetter was routinely hurled at anyone who had the nerve to think that the team still looked shite at Birmingham, and that the squad looked as poor as it had for a long time. I don't know how many people actually called for Burke and Barber's heads on a plate - I wasn't one of them - and I didn't bother counting them. Most so called bedwetters were just people who were concerned that up to then we'd had a shite transfer window, and were worldly wise enough to know that it's often wise (in all forms of life, not just football) to regard promises of 'jam tomorrow' with a pinch of salt, unless or until the promise is delivered.

A fortnight on from the sale of Buckley, things are looking much brighter. Good, I'm happy, and hoping for a good season. But I absolutely refuse to make any apology for not feeling happy a fortnight ago.

Now, all this has gone on long enough. I don't know if the mods can do this, but it would be good if they could impose a short ban on anyone labelling other posters as bedwetters from now on (and an equal ban for use of the equally offensive and abusive term, 'lickers', an insult I haven't stooped to using either).

Is anyone asking you to apologise for not feeling happy two weeks ago?

The bedwetter term came about due to threads such as the following

http://www.northstandchat.com/showthread.php?306749-Open-Letter-To-The-Club&highlight=open+letter and

Here's an idea.... Sack him and hire someone a little cheaper to bleed the fans dry and buy some actual players.

I honestly cannot recall anyone saying they were happy with the squad after the Birmingham performance, but there is a world away from being a bit pissed off but giving Tony Bloom a bit of time to sort it out (as he asked at the fans forum) and calling for sackings of the senior management team.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
, but it would be good if they could impose a short ban on anyone labelling other posters as bedwetters from now on (and an equal ban for use of the equally offensive and abusive term, 'lickers', an insult I haven't stooped to using either).

Lighten up man the bedwetter/lickers things is quite amusing really. They're definately not abusive and I'd struggle to take offense to them. This comes from a licker.

My favourite use of bedwetter is in a musical context - "Bedwetter Indie" Which are big, corparate, supposedly emotional, white, guitar bands like Coldplay, Snow Patrol, Travis etc, Definitely predates it's emergence on here.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
The term bedwetters is ridiculous but there are a lot of people on here (not a few as others have said) who should learn from this summer. We didn't do our business immediately but most clubs don't (the only ones who do are the clubs who are happy to sign anyone almost or have lots of money e.g. parachute payments).

The irony, after all the moaning, is that we are probably in a much better situation going into the last five days of the transfer window than almost any club in the Championship in terms of securing players (not necessarily in terms of quality of the squad).

Now please, give Sami and the team time to gel. If we lose on Saturday, don't start moaning again. We all hope for a top six finish but don't have a go at the club/manager/players if we have a bad run. Support them. And that means no threads slagging off new signings after four games (e.g. the O'Grady one yesterday).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here