Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] BBC Sports Personality 2023

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
I said the fact over half the list was made up by women footballers
Did you?
Of course it was woke. It's the BBC ticking the boxes it wants to tick. Covers gender, sexuality, race and disability.

Also which list exactly are you referring to? The main award? Where 1 of the 6 was a female footballer?

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019
I said the fact over half the list was made up by women footballers was woke because it suited the BBC's agenda of trying to keep the woke brigade happy.

The fact they didn't win the team of the year completely backs this up.

what list do you mean?

The shortlist was

Earps- female footballer
Broad- male cricketer
Johnson-Thompson- female athlete
Dettori- male horse rider
Hewitt- male wheelchair tennis player
McIlroy- male golfer

so only 1 footballer in the 6 person list which was made up on 3 women and 3 men. What list was over 50% female footballers?!

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
The betting market I saw last week. I assumed by the looks of it incorrectly that was the people in the running to win.
ooooooohhhhh.

So apart from being wrong about the people involved, the winners, the sports they were in and the levels of their achievement, you STILL decided to declare this was all woke and all part of the BBC agenda.

I also enjoy that you tell us you don't know any female footballers......but now tell us you saw a list of names in a betting market and recognised the names as female footballers.....

I think we will end it there. It's been an absolute pleasure.

Yours,

Wokey McWokeface.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
what list do you mean?

The shortlist was

Earps- female footballer
Broad- male cricketer
Johnson-Thompson- female athlete
Dettori- male horse rider
Hewitt- male wheelchair tennis player
McIlroy- male golfer

so only 1 footballer in the 6 person list which was made up on 3 women and 3 men. What list was over 50% female footballers?!
Which one of the 4 people on that list I thought was a man has had a sex change in a hurry?;)

Happy Exile

NSC Patron
Apr 19, 2018
I always thought this must feel like winning the school Sports Day sack race for the sportspeople involved but saw an interview with Nigel Mansell recently where he said winning it was one of the proudest moments in his entire career. It wasn't even a puff piece for the event, it was him talking about his career as a whole and he could have justifiably not even referred to it. Must be something in realising you have popularity with a cross section of sports fans that may not even like your sport that is quite humbling for those who recognise that.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
ooooooohhhhh.

So apart from being wrong about the people involved, the winners, the sports they were in and the levels of their achievement, you STILL decided to declare this was all woke and all part of the BBC agenda.

I also enjoy that you tell us you don't know any female footballers......but now tell us you saw a list of names in a betting market and recognised the names as female footballers.....

I think we will end it there. It's been an absolute pleasure.

Yours,

Wokey McWokeface.
I refer you to post 54 on this thread.

I clearly state I had to google them.

And no the pleasure has been all mine.

Merry Christmas.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
In the 20th century, when I was a lot younger, I thought this show was great. This century - not so much.

Surprised it is still going, tbh.
BBC moving it to midweek doesn't help.

It was previously always on the last Sunday before Christmas which would surely get viewing figures?

Cordwainer

Jul 30, 2023
In general it’s a competition that’s way past its sell by date and becoming vastly irrelevant.

However, as with so many things, my bellwether is the number of triggered gammons and here Mary’s done a splendid job.

Well deserved.
Exactly. When predictable gobsh1tes like Morgan go crying on social media about something..you just know it’s the right result. Well done Mary and the BBC!

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
In general it’s a competition that’s way past its sell by date and becoming vastly irrelevant.

However, as with so many things, my bellwether is the number of triggered gammons and here Mary’s done a splendid job.

Well deserved.
Whilst of course you are completely on the money, as always, spare a thought for the many more who are triggered by the comments of a small amount of ‘gammons’ on here and every time fall over themselves to post something profound 🤔

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Out of interest, are you on Facebook.

And have you heard of Dull Men's Club?
I find it hard to believe that others haven't discovered the simple yet engrossing joys of extrapolating meaning from raw data. :)

And yet the evidence remains that demands a verdict. The jury cannot stay out indefinitely.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Do you think she’s a household name?
I'm not trying to be provactive btw. It’s a genuine question.
When Nike finally decided to release the women's goalkeeper shirt in October, it sold out in young and adult sizes within hours.
On the 11th December another batch was released. They sold out within 80 minutes.

I wonder if Pickford shirts are still on sale?

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
When Nike finally decided to release the women's goalkeeper shirt in October, it sold out in young and adult sizes within hours.
On the 11th December another batch was released. They sold out within 80 minutes.

I wonder if Pickford shirts are still on sale?
To be fair, everyone who wants a shirt with ‘Pickford’ printed on the back probably already got one.

Which is probably just Jordan Pickford.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
She's a household name in every household that voted for her, which is more than enough.

I'd wager Stuart Broad is better known across the whole country whereas Earps is probably more Marmite, but it obviously wasn't enough for people to vote for him. One of the complainants on this thread doesn't even have a TV licence and yet feels qualified to moan and comment.

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
I do think she is well known, certainly to the extent that people have heard of her.

I don't follow or watch women's football, but in the summer of 2022 and 2023 it was everywhere, the whole country was talking about it (or complaining that the whole country was talking about it), then there was the big news story about how her shirt wasn't for sale.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here