Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] BBC Sports Personality 2023

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
To be fair, everyone who wants a shirt with ‘Pickford’ printed on the back probably already got one.

Which is probably just Jordan Pickford.
And some removal men, from the day the "S"s ran out.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I do think she is well known, certainly to the extent that people have heard of her.

I don't follow or watch women's football, but in the summer of 2022 and 2023 it was everywhere, the whole country was talking about it (or complaining that the whole country was talking about it), then there was the big news story about how her shirt wasn't for sale.
This thread also makes me wonder how many of the fans complaining about her/women's football, know that a Brighton player is in the England women's team?

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
If acknowledging the tremendous success of athletes regardless of their gender or family background pisses off a few smeggy little bigots, how bad can that possibly be? Merry Xmas everyone!

Happy Exile

NSC Patron
Apr 19, 2018
In general it’s a competition that’s way past its sell by date and becoming vastly irrelevant.

However, as with so many things, my bellwether is the number of triggered gammons and here Mary’s done a splendid job.

Well deserved.
In the summer I was lucky to be part of a small event looking at increasing women's participation in industries that are traditionally male dominated. Among the people in the room and sharing their stories was the woman from the FA responsible for building grassroots football for women and increasing female participation, and some of the most senior officers - and in one case the most senior officer - from all of the armed services. It was the kind of event you have your phone taken off you on the way in because for security they don't want people sharing publicly who is there until it's over...some very serious, very senior people who have zero vested interest in being "woke" if it compromises what they do and if it did compromise their work they could probably make an argument against it....yet all wanted more women involved in what they do, and many said their professions are poorer for not having enough. One of the senior (male) officers cited women's football as an important inspiration for girls to see themselves as deserving of parity with boys and that it will have a positive resonance across industries.

I'd love to hear some of the professionally offended try their arguments in that kind of space. I doubt they would be self-aware enough to be embarrassed but it'd be amusing for the rest of us.

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
In the summer I was lucky to be part of a small event looking at increasing women's participation in industries that are traditionally male dominated. Among the people in the room and sharing their stories was the woman from the FA responsible for building grassroots football for women and increasing female participation, and some of the most senior officers - and in one case the most senior officer - from all of the armed services. It was the kind of event you have your phone taken off you on the way in because for security they don't want people sharing publicly who is there until it's over...some very serious, very senior people who have zero vested interest in being "woke" if it compromises what they do and if it did compromise their work they could probably make an argument against it....yet all wanted more women involved in what they do, and many said their professions are poorer for not having enough. One of the senior (male) officers cited women's football as an important inspiration for girls to see themselves as deserving of parity with boys and that it will have a positive resonance across industries.

I'd love to hear some of the professionally offended try their arguments in that kind of space. I doubt they would be self-aware enough to be embarrassed but it'd be amusing for the rest of us.
You can't come on here and be as vague as that HE. More info. please.

Happy Exile

NSC Patron
Apr 19, 2018
You can't come on here and be as vague as that HE. More info. please.
What would you like to know? Part of my work involves looking at organisational culture, hence being at this event. Paraphrasing a bit, diversity (of all kinds) is Good Thing when it comes to organisational performance, and there's a bit of evidence that when places have at least 30% of their staff, particularly senior staff, as women those places perform better and better decisions are made - and the kicker is it often leads to better outcomes for men too. Equality isn't about doing men down at all, it benefits everyone.

In the armed services just 12% of staff are women, and just 10% of senior staff, which is something they recognise as an issue that's a matter with impact on effectiveness. It's nothing to do with wokeness or box ticking. Some other industries there had barely better figures. How careers and industries and companies make themselves more explicitly and implicitly welcoming to diverse applicants ties in with culture as much as anything else, which is the link back to what I do.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
For those who think this thread is TL;DR, here’s a summary…

IMG_0091.png

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
What would you like to know? Part of my work involves looking at organisational culture, hence being at this event. Paraphrasing a bit, diversity (of all kinds) is Good Thing when it comes to organisational performance, and there's a bit of evidence that when places have at least 30% of their staff, particularly senior staff, as women those places perform better and better decisions are made - and the kicker is it often leads to better outcomes for men too. Equality isn't about doing men down at all, it benefits everyone.

In the armed services just 12% of staff are women, and just 10% of senior staff, which is something they recognise as an issue that's a matter with impact on effectiveness. It's nothing to do with wokeness or box ticking. Some other industries there had barely better figures. How careers and industries and companies make themselves more explicitly and implicitly welcoming to diverse applicants ties in with culture as much as anything else, which is the link back to what I do.
Was it MI6 or something?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I wonder what the Venn diagram would look like for people who moan about the bbc not showing live sport and people who moan about having to pay the licence fee
:lolol:

That might be post of the day.

Imagine the difficulty people who don't pay the licence fee have. Making sure links on NSC and phone notifications aren't from a BBC website story. Never listening to the Today programme or any of the music stations. Avoiding Match of the Day at all costs, even when the Albion have beaten Chelsea 4-1. All those podcasts on Sounds. Live following FA Cup draws on sky,com.

I'm sure they do all that. Otherwise they're no better than petty thieves.

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009

Interesting, and as it’s been 5 years since the MOD allowed women to occupy ALL roles in the armed forces, (including front line infantry) it must follow that mixed units of males and females are more effective than male only units?

Given that physical ability is the only likely barrier to entry in (say) front line units, it equally must follow that our professional sporting females can compete equally with their male counterparts?

That would help resolve some of the issues at play in the the debate about the parity of performance and also reward between men and women’s sport.

Mary Earps between the sticks for the BHA first team being paid the same as Steele………….why not? On your assessment we must be better right?

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Agree with this completely……the worst team environments I experienced in corporate life (particularly at Executive level) were always those that were dominated by one gender - didn’t matter whether it was male or female, they could be equally bad.

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
Interesting, and as it’s been 5 years since the MOD allowed women to occupy ALL roles in the armed forces, (including front line infantry) it must follow that mixed units of males and females are more effective than male only units?

Given that physical ability is the only likely barrier to entry in (say) front line units, it equally must follow that our professional sporting females can compete equally with their male counterparts?

That would help resolve some of the issues at play in the the debate about the parity of performance and also reward between men and women’s sport.

Mary Earps between the sticks for the BHA first team being paid the same as Steele………….why not? On your assessment we must be better right?
Hahaha. This is such a fantastic misrepresentation of what people have said that I can’t help but laugh at you.

A post about decision making (where research shows diverse groups make better decisions) and you jump on a false comparison with peak athletes. Sensational stuff.

posts like yours are why many people believe people should have to do an intelligence tests before they are able to vote.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here