Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] BBC Sports Personality 2023

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Got to say, it's not a list where a winner jumps out at me. I suppose Johnson-Thompson?

Ronnie O'Sullivan a notable omission. I also think that with the year Jude Bellingham has had, he should get the young persons one and might have been an outside shout for the main award and presumably will have a great chance next year if he carries on his form and we do OK at the Euros.

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
This is the best line up for years. Actual Sports Stars with personality.

Obviously the most glaring omission is Ronnie O'Sullivan, but if you've never seen Alfie Hewitt, find time to take a look. I saw him at Wimbledon in 2022 and was utterly blown away by his skill and athleticism. Granted, he won't win, but he is a brilliant sporting personality.

Frankie Dettori for me

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
Why is Frankie Dettori on the list? Forgive my ignorance but he is not British is he? He moved here as a kid but I don’t think he ever became a citizen. Shouldn’t he win overseas? Or are we claiming him as British? Please don’t go down an immigration/brexit etc chat - I am just curious.

Mary Earps will win.

andybaha

Jan 3, 2007
Piddinghoe
This guy is up for the Unsung Hero award. He’s won the South East region award. Don’t know if there’s a vote.

Attachments

• BECFE639-72E8-48CB-AD15-BC8E0C6FEE28.png
    BECFE639-72E8-48CB-AD15-BC8E0C6FEE28.png
    2.4 MB · Views: 39

Gabbiano

Dec 18, 2017
Spank the Manc
I hadn't heard of half of them when I saw the betting yesterday including the odds on favourite.

Used to be a big deal now just a woke box ticking exercise from the BBC it would seem.
I haven't heard of them, therefore it's woke?

I don't understand your logic there. BBC has named the most accomplished sports personalities of the year just as they always have done.

It's still predominantly a list of straight, white men from the most popular sports. The biggest sporting story for UK sport this year was England women's run to the WC final, and Earps was the star of that team. That's why she's favourite.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Why is Frankie Dettori on the list? Forgive my ignorance but he is not British is he? He moved here as a kid but I don’t think he ever became a citizen. Shouldn’t he win overseas? Or are we claiming him as British? Please don’t go down an immigration/brexit etc chat - I am just curious.
You certainly are

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Mary Earps will win.
Don't know - past winners have all been British, although he's been nominated before ('96, came third) - can't see any other non-Brits in the top 3.

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
It's a good list, except for McIlroy who hasn't really done much apart from failing to win several tournaments. Dettori and Broad both deserve lifetime achievement awards. Dettori should be in the running for his big race wins this year, Broady less so. KTJ had one big performance, not enough to seriously challenge. I assume the media frenzy is all about Wyatt Earp so she will probably shoot to the top and gun down the competition.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Mary Earps has taken women's goalkeeping to another level. She personally could not have done more than she has this year. But I will make 3 points:

1. Beth Mead - a fellow Lioness - won 2022 SPOTY.

2. Jude Bellingham couldn't have done more than he has this year either. He won FIFA Young Player Of the Year, he took Dortmund to the brink of an unlikely Bundesliga title and has single-handedly re-energised England and Real Madrid.

3. Much like a MOTM, I believe that SPOTY should be won by a winner, a champion, and not a gallant loser. Therefore, my vote would go to Rory McIlroy, who was a tour de force in the Ryder Cup, got himself back to World No. 1, has been consistently good and been an excellent advocate against the evil that is LIV golf.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here