Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] BBC Sports Personality 2023

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
In that situation would you also call it 'Woke' (as you did with the Sports Personality nominees you didn't know), or is that only saved for if the people you haven't heard of fall into a certain category of society?

Of course it was woke. It's the BBC ticking the boxes it wants to tick. Covers gender, sexuality, race and disability. Whilst ignoring achievements like Manchester City winning the treble. Why no City players on the list?

As I've said on this thread I've no problem with someone from a minority sport winning it. Well done Mary Earps. I've educated myself that she is a footballer, the following day I found out she is a goal keeper and last night when sky sports sent me a push notification to tell me she had won she plays for Manchester United. I still wouldn't know who she was if she was stood on Brighton beach with a seagull on her head. And I expect that would be the same with most of the country.

Its either a sad reflection on British sport or the BBC when a once important institution is relegated to a Tuesday night going against 3 cup quarter finals, the world darts championship and England going bonkers in the crash bang wallop cricket championing people the average person hasn't heard of.

If it's white male musicians you haven't heard of then that would just be "it's not my cup of tea".....but if they are female.....
:fishing: not even going to respond to that.

Littlemo

Aug 25, 2022
But it's all dependant on the year isn't it. We all know 2023 wasn't a stellar year of sport. Non-Olympic year etc.

There will be years (I imagine 2012) where winners in ANY other year would be finishing outside the top 3.

If Mary Earps was up against a double olympic Champion then of course she would lose.

but they aren't, so I don't understand what your point is.

Would she though? I think that’s kind of the point, that she’s up against someone like KJT who is the current World Champion in her sport, or Alfie Hewitt who is in a niche sport sure, but has won four grand slams this year and outstanding in his sport.

It’s not so much against Mary Earps who is a great player but she hasn’t really achieved as much as a player this year.

I think its maybe seen as controversial as in the past most of the winners did have some significant achievement in their sport when they were awarded, where’s maybe this is more a step towards awarding it based on personality or popularity rather than achievement.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
You’ve forgotten Princess Anne.
Andrew got all excited when he heard it was SPOTY time so was distraught to find out it was Sports Personality rather than Sweaty Prince

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
My point is they don`t stand up to the great sporting names who have won in the past.
Sounds like you agree as you point out that 2023 was not a stellar sports year therefore we get a less than stellar winner.
Funnily enough you didn't manage to name a woman in the best winners (maybe Paula Radcliffe, Kelly Holmes,) but did mention Gazza and David Beckham.

Gazza was for doing well for England up to a semi final at a WC.
Beckham was for beating Greece.....

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Of course it was woke. It's the BBC ticking the boxes it wants to tick. Covers gender, sexuality, race and disability. Whilst ignoring achievements like Manchester City winning the treble. Why no City players on the list?

As I've said on this thread I've no problem with someone from a minority sport winning it. Well done Mary Earps. I've educated myself that she is a footballer, the following day I found out she is a goal keeper and last night when sky sports sent me a push notification to tell me she had won she plays for Manchester United. I still wouldn't know who she was if she was stood on Brighton beach with a seagull on her head. And I expect that would be the same with most of the country.

Its either a sad reflection on British sport or the BBC when a once important institution is relegated to a Tuesday night going against 3 cup quarter finals, the world darts championship and England going bonkers in the crash bang wallop cricket championing people the average person hasn't heard of.

Team of the year - Man City
Coach of the year - Pep
World Sports Star of the Year - Haaland

Terrible how they ignored Man City by giving them the other three major awards :laugh:

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Why not? Did I get it spot on?

Rather than simply saying they are from sports you don't know, you've doubled down on the selections being 'woke' .

So I ask again, if the choices for TOTP were people you didn't know, would that also be 'Woke'? I guess if the people you didn't recognise were from certain backgrounds, you wouldn't call it woke....

Or, as I ssuspect, and is usually case, you've wheeled out the all-powerful 'W' and it is then easily torn to bits as being the lazy, classic response people now use when they don't like something?

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
The BBC covered the woman’s World Cup didn’t they. Shame they didn’t have the rights to the cricket.

SPOTY has always really been a reflection of sport on terrestrial TV. Stokes - rightly - scooped the award in 2019 but prior to that it was Flintoff in 2005 when the Ashes was last broadcast on free to view that a cricketer won. Only Stokes and Hamilton of recent winners have been tucked away on Sky. Previous winners such as Earps, Mead, Wiggins, Cavendish, Murray, Hoy and more all entered the public affections on BBC.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012

Sounds like you need to 'educate' yourself some more...

For something that is deemed irrelevant, woke, past-it and a waste of time – not to mention being in the WRONG time slot (God forbid there be the ability to watch it ANYTIME at your leisure) – SPOTY seems to be doing a roaring trade on NSC :lolol:

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Every year the same argument. It's Sports PERSONALITY of the year. Not best sports person of the year. Just like the music charts are best selling tracks, not best tracks.
WTF? Every few posts someone has to point out that, in this context, "personality" literally means person.

personality
noun
the combination of characteristics or qualities that form an individual's distinctive character.
a celebrity or famous person.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Every year the same argument. It's Sports PERSONALITY of the year. Not best sports person of the year. Just like the music charts are best selling tracks, not best tracks.
Actually, the title always been open to interpretation - to what is spoty about achievement, to what extent about charisma?
That it’s never been clear is one of the reasons why it’s a noddy title.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
It’s not obvious at all. She’s just beaten people with genuine achievements in their sport. Popularity votes can go in crazy directions!.
The Olympics has a much bigger audience than the events you are referencing.

A double Olympic champion would win.

Reactions: A1X

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Actually, the title always been open to interpretation - to what is spoty about achievement, to what extent about charisma?
It's only confusing to those who don't understand the dual definition of "personality". See above.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
From their own site:

"The BBC Sports Personality of the Year is a ceremony to honour the greatest British sporting achievements of the past 12 months"

Pretty straight forward.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
It's only confusing to those who don't understand the dual definition of "personality". See above.
Do you think personal traits, like humour for example , and outright sporting achievement fit neatly into one package?
I would say they are completely different. Hence it’s a confusing title.

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019
Yes. Obviously.

A double Olympic Champion would get more votes than the England women's goalkeeper who lost a final.
of course, in an Olympic year any Olympic gold medal winner is going to stand a pretty good chance of winning, that goes without saying really

"odd" years (eg no Olympics or major football tournament) tend to throw up some niche winners, exception being if there is some joy in the rugby or cricket world cups, which there wasn't.

Stuart Broad came second, had England won the Ashes that could have been different

btw the last 3 male footballers to win it- Michael Owen, David Beckham, Ryan Giggs.....how many world cup finals did they play in collectively? Giggs won it in 2009, Beckham in 2001. Neither of those years were tournament years, Beckham seems to have won it for his part in a DRAW AT HOME TO GREECE. Giggs in 2009....Man U didn't win the CL that year- would understand if he'd won it 10 years earlier. Owen? A part of an England team that got knocked out in the second round of that years world cup, where he contributed two goals, his club side didn't win a single trophy that year.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here