Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ashley Barnes - Was it a dive?

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Next week: Hurstpierpointvillageidiot posts

"I notice that Ashley Barnes has not yet denied murdering Madeline McCann, surely questions have to be asked"

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
I watched the whole incident and in looked to me as though he dived, I saw no contact made with his face and then shortly after he went down clutching it, now I was in H Block so obviously was a fair way away, what did some of you sitting a bit nearer think? If it was a dive then I think it's disgusting and hope he gets at the very least a telling off from Gus about it, thats not what I want to see our players doing.

Put what's left of your brain down, and step away from the computer.

STEP AWAY FROM YOUR COMPUTER.

Regency Gull

Jul 14, 2003
Shoreham by Sea
As far as I can see only one person actually saw the incident on the ground in any detail so far. I was in family stand and thought it looked like a penalty, but to be fair I didn't have a good view being in front of play.

The incident on the ground was very clear to me. They ended up laying almost head to head in a long line. The defender reached out and grabbed a handful of Barnes hair and pushed his head into the ground and pulled it about, before Barnes raised both his hands up and tried to get him off. teh defender then added a little punch before getting up and running off. If seen it was a clear sending off but by tegh time it happened play had moved away adn I think it would have been tricky for the lino to see it from the far side. Barnes was right to make an issue of it - it must have hurt.

The one pleasing aspect of the incident was that Barnes didn;t get the yellow or red card for immediately coming back on and clobbering the defender. he reacted the right way by scoring a goal.

tinx

Jul 6, 2003
Horsham Town
As far as I can see only one person actually saw the incident on the ground in any detail so far. I was in family stand and thought it looked like a penalty, but to be fair I didn't have a good view being in front of play.

The incident on the ground was very clear to me. They ended up laying almost head to head in a long line. The defender reached out and grabbed a handful of Barnes hair and pushed his head into the ground and pulled it about, before Barnes raised both his hands up and tried to get him off. teh defender then added a little punch before getting up and running off. If seen it was a clear sending off but by tegh time it happened play had moved away adn I think it would have been tricky for the lino to see it from the far side. Barnes was right to make an issue of it - it must have hurt.

The one pleasing aspect of the incident was that Barnes didn;t get the yellow or red card for immediately coming back on and clobbering the defender. he reacted the right way by scoring a goal.

This is exactly what happened.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
From P Block which is probably just 20 yards away their bloke clearly pushed/punched Barnes in the face. Definite red card if seen by the ref. I think it highlights how lucky we were on Saturday that the ref very wisely kept his eye on the incident at Peterborugh as it was a similar situation. I suspect that ref is in the minority though, most just follow the ball as last nights did, and the linesman was on the other side looking at the players backs so would have struggled to see the incident clearly.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I hate this 'should have scored' thing anyway. You hear it all the time from TV pundits. "He really should have scored there". They say it about 15 times every game. If the players put away every chance that its suggested they 'should have scored' every game would be about 9-9.

This.

And by most people's standards '1 in 2' is a very good ratio for a striker. Barnes is at this level now, which is certainly adequate for the type of team he plays in.

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
I took 4 neutral mates along who all sat in the East Stand and they said the Exeter play headbutted Barnes.

Sep 30, 2006
Up in the Gods
The 'kick' and 'headbutt' suggestions are bizarre and are clouding the issue.
Call it a shove or a clump or a push or a punch, or whatever you like - Edwards made contact with Barnes' head with his hand. That much is FACT, and it was absolutely a straight red.

How much pain he actually inflicted, only Barnes can possibly know.

Watching from the Familt Stand, I saw the incident very clearly and HKFC has described exactly what I saw.

Edwards should have gone.

Talking to someone sitting in the North Stand, in line with the incident, they said the same thing.

Edwards was a very lucky thug.

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
To paraphrase Berti Voigts, if Ashley Barnes was to walk on water some would say it was only because he couldn't swim.

Igor Gurinovich?

Mar 27, 2006
Southampton
I was in block W and the Exter defender clearly had a go, i couldnt see if he smacked him or whether he pulled at his hair, but both of the other people with say the defender definately had a go at him..

Sep 20, 2005
From Block W, it looked like Barnes made a meal of the tackle (which looked okay) and the defender didn't like that. So, once the ref had turned away, he grabbed the hair on the top of his head, smashed his face into the ground, and then did it again. That's what it looked like, anyway.
Bloody painful getting your nose bashed into the ground twice, I'd imagine, and the defender was very lucky.

He was probably jealous of Barnes' full head of hair. Bald git.

Signed

A Bald Git

SittingbourneSeagull

Dec 27, 2007
Sittingbourne
Not the only one here who 'hates' him then, clearly mixed opinions, as for the question of why U Block went mental, well everyone went mental but most people seemed to be angry the ref didn't stop the game, which if as I suspect it was a dive he was very much right to do, had it been me I'd booked him.

TBH your opinion on Barnes is worthless. Now you are not able to post your pathetic "Barnes couldn't score in a brothel" threads because he has started to convert his chances you are looking for another way to put him down. Go away and support (used in the loosest possible way) another team.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Next week: Hurstpierpointvillageidiot posts

"I notice that Ashley Barnes has not yet denied murdering Madeline McCann, surely questions have to be asked"

The timeline is wrong as the Albion pre-season tour to the Algarve was in 2010 :thumbsup:

JGaleBHA

On the Gus bus
Apr 24, 2010
Horsham
I heard from someone in the family stand that it made contact but it wasn't hard and Barnes was over reacting. The defender through a punch still, out of order, red card, final.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
I was in H block and could clearly see it looked like one subbuteo player knocked another subbuteo player and one subbuteo player fell over and was laid on the ground for ages, and then got up.

But from H block I could see that Barnes was tripped "outside" the box for the so called penalty, so who cares it evens its self out.

tonymgc

Banned
May 8, 2010
Drive by abusing
It doesn't matter what really happened HUST thinks Barnes is a diver so he must be right.

I don't know how you can hold a vendetta against one of our own personally, He's not Fred West or the Yorkshire ripper. I don't know if he's done something personally offensive like shagged your sister & not called her back. I just find it very strange, Do you celebrate when he scores or stand their shaking your fist muttering 'damn that Barnes' under your breath?

FLAIRtastic

Aug 29, 2010
It was just handbags both done as much damage as the other.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here