Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ashley Barnes - Was it a dive?

pigin stripes

Jul 18, 2003
Hove
From row T family stand we had a good clear view of it....... handbags to start with both players being idiots, but as Barnes went to stand there player clearly butted him catching him in the face, he fell to the ground like he had been shot. The funniest part for us was the ref asked there keeper what had happened.........fool!

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
I think the consensus is, that Barnes was definitely hit but that he possibly made a meal of it. Sadly the ref had his back to the incident and the lino was playing Angry Birds on his i-phone and missed the whole thing. It's a shame that it appears Barnes made a meal of it, but the oaf clearly caught him and should have been punished.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
It wasnt a dive, but was a huge overreaction. With them both lying on the ground, the defender sort of hit him with the back of a closed fist. It was a red-card offence, but neither the ref or the lino could see it. Barnes had clearly decided that by rolling about a bit a red card was more likely, but he was wrong as play just went up the other end. Then he had to keep up the charade having gone that far. Like I say, it was a sending-off, but there was nothing wrong with Barnes at all.

I did not see the incident itself (i.e. the punch) but the subsequent events lead me to believe it was an overreaction on Barnes' part. I know if I was punched by someone and it left me lying on the floor unable to get up for a good few minutes I would not be able to immediately carry on playing a game of football. That said, if it was a punch the Exeter fella deserved to go.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
well everyone went mental but most people seemed to be angry the ref didn't stop the game, which if as I suspect it was a dive he was very much right to do, had it been me I'd booked him.

The ref didn't see the incident, all he saw, when he turned back to look was Barnes rolling around holding his head.

Considering he stopped one of our attacks when their player was holding his ankle (and the ref pointed to his head as if it was a head injury), the fans were right to get angry that he wasn't stopping play for an obvious head "injury". If all the ref can see is a player holding his head in pain, he should stop play and get him attention immediately.

The ref had turned his back and missed their scuffle, so he would have no idea whether barnes was faking or not. But he did look back and see Barnes holding his head. Massive error by the ref.

Collar Feeler

No longer feeling collars
Jul 26, 2003
From what I can make out on this thread only about 3 people actually give a toss one way or another (including the thread starter):shrug: Everyone else seems rather content to enjoy the fact that after 15 games we are on 34 points with a nice 8 point cushion and playing some of our best football ever. HustpierpointSeagulls, Maybe a trip to your GP to discuss your obvious terminal acute depression might help you in life? Another one for the ignore list hohum.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Well Casper saw something (I think a punch when on the ground) and wanted to get their centre back once the ref decided to stop the game. The lino must have wondered why the whole stand and most of the team were going mental while Barnes was on the floor

Drumstick

NORTHSTANDER
Jul 19, 2003
Peacehaven
From W Block it looked like a head butt, barnes made the most of it tho.

tinx

Jul 6, 2003
Horsham Town
THeir number 15 grabbed barnes by the hair and yanked before giving him a little knock and running off, Barnes made a bit of a meal of it but the fella did grab a handful of hair and yank quite clearly. It wasn't a pen just a coming together, the outrage formt he family stand was for the blatant hair pull.

Disgusting behaviour from their number 15.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
If I may just say that from my viewpoint (listening on the radio) it was clearly a punch or a headbutt or summat and Barnes was clearly hard done by and should have had a penalty. Of course Murray DID get a penalty that wasn't one but the village idiot hasn't chosen to comment on that. Was he listening on the radio again too?

It's a shame when people can see no good in a player just as it is when people can see no wrong in one - despite all evidence to the contrary in either case. I wonder if the overwhelming desire to call Barnes "Barney" (as in barn door) has overcome someone's critical judgement? I'm guessing if he goes on to score 19 he will be villified for not getting 20 and if he scores 24 it will be "he's useless - he's not the 25 goal striker we need"

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
The 'kick' and 'headbutt' suggestions are bizarre and are clouding the issue.
Call it a shove or a clump or a push or a punch, or whatever you like - Edwards made contact with Barnes' head with his hand. That much is FACT, and it was absolutely a straight red.

How much pain he actually inflicted, only Barnes can possibly know.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Stupid thread - if it was an ALBION player it clearly wasn't a dive and their player should have been sent off, in fact banned for life. And the match should've been abandoned and given to us as a 10-0 win.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
I watched the whole incident and in looked to me as though he dived, I saw no contact made with his face and then shortly after he went down clutching it, now I was in H Block so obviously was a fair way away, what did some of you sitting a bit nearer think? If it was a dive then I think it's disgusting and hope he gets at the very least a telling off from Gus about it, thats not what I want to see our players doing.

0,,10433%7E3396103,00.jpg

So, from your viewpoint in H Block over to the east end penalty area you've decided to start yet another of your attacks on the club's leading scorer? Why don't you just shut the f*** up instead?

The French Mistress

Jun 24, 2007
So far in this CLEAR incident we have had

PUNCH

KICK

HEADBUTT

add HANDBAGS.........Barnes knew exactly what he was doing,yes there was minimal contact to his forehead,but he milked it, no one suggesting, by the way, that he should have bagged the chance he had straight afterwards, practically from the goal-line?:facepalm:

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
add HANDBAGS.........Barnes knew exactly what he was doing,yes there was minimal contact to his forehead,but he milked it, no one suggesting, by the way, that he should have bagged the chance he had straight afterwards, practically from the goal-line?:facepalm:

The cross got up higher than he expected, and he'd committed to going for it with his foot [knee]. This turned it into a difficult chance. If he'd stooped to head it, I'm sure he'd have scored.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
So you agree he should've bagged ?

I wouldn't go as far as 'should have', but it was certainly a decent chance. I actually thought the side foot volley that he put inches wide right at the end was a better chance.

I hate this 'should have scored' thing anyway. You hear it all the time from TV pundits. "He really should have scored there". They say it about 15 times every game. If the players put away every chance that its suggested they 'should have scored' every game would be about 9-9.

By my reckoning Barnes had 4 decent chances last night, and scored 2 of them. I'll take that ratio any day.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here