Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ashley Barnes - Was it a dive?

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
We went mental because we had a very clear view of both players going down and then their player attacking Barnes' head. I can say with some certainty that our view was *says in a brummie accent* considerably better than yow.

I think you are ignoring the fact that Hurstpierpoint has X Ray vision, remember how he claimed that Barnes missed two sitters at Tranmere that his ten year old would have put away, despite being 300 miles away at the time and listening to the radio.

He's just a petty vindictive twat who for some reason has it in for one of our players. We're 8 points clear and he's back on his singleminded campaign to mealymouth our leading scorer at any opportunity.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
He was punched in the head. Sitting in P block we had a very good view.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
I think you are ignoring the fact that Hurstpierpoint has X Ray vision, remember how he claimed that Barnes missed two sitters at Tranmere that his ten year old would have put away, despite being 300 miles away at the time and listening to the radio.

He's just a petty vindictive twat who for some reason has it in for one of our players. We're 8 points clear and he's back on his singleminded campaign to mealymouth our leading scorer at any opportunity.

Gotcha. Whatever gets him through the day, I suppose.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
It wasnt a dive, but was a huge overreaction. With them both lying on the ground, the defender sort of hit him with the back of a closed fist. It was a red-card offence, but neither the ref or the lino could see it. Barnes had clearly decided that by rolling about a bit a red card was more likely, but he was wrong as play just went up the other end. Then he had to keep up the charade having gone that far. Like I say, it was a sending-off, but there was nothing wrong with Barnes at all.

Last edited:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
They both went down in a heap, and it looked to me (from block D) that their CB clumped Barnes in the head with his forearm as he pushed himself up. Quite deliberate. Very snide. He was fortunate the ref and lino were following the ball, cos that was a straight red and a pen.

tonymgc

Banned
May 8, 2010
Drive by abusing
Enough with your petty vendetta against Barnes HUST its tedious, petulent & bordering on pathetic.

'sladegull

fat boy fat
Aug 11, 2007
'slade
They both went down in a heap, and it looked to me (from block D) that their CB clumped Barnes in the head with his forearm as he pushed himself up. Quite deliberate. Very snide. He was fortunate the ref and lino were following the ball, cos that was a straight red and a pen.

This ....also from D block.

He did milk it though.........

Herne Hill Seagull

Jul 10, 2003
Galicia
Had a very good view from Q block. They wrestled while they were getting off the ground and the other bloke did make contact with Barnes' face with his arm as they struggled to get up. Barnes made a lot of it, though. So they both acted poorly.

Spiros

Jul 9, 2003
Too far from the sun
Exactly how it looked from my vantage point in block C, but to be fair to the ref and lino most around me were asking what happened as almost everyone followed where the ball was going. However don't think that the fact that Barnes is a quality player whose general play is good and and scores goals will stop certain posters on here from finding every reason possible to criticise him for something. Even if he gets 30 goals this season they'll find something to moan about - they always do.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
The bloke definitely caught him - I could see that from J block. I doubt it was hard enough to warrant that amount of time on the floor though, bit embarrassing but that's modern football I suppose

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
I was sitting probably as close as it is possible to have been to the incident (in the North Stand). We reckon he was trying to get 'contacted' but it didn't quite work out for him as when he lunged at the player trying to get contact their player moved out of the way. Sadly, we all came to the conclusion that it was a little bit of an over reaction, doing what most strikers do in the same situation. As for the family stand baying for it, who you going to believe? They were sitting much further away than we were.

NB, I love Barnes.

From W block it looked like Edwards grabbed hold of Barnes head and shoved it into the pitch.
not sure what happened to make them both go down though.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here