Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ashley Barnes isn't nearly good enough for us.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
If Murray could work the offside trap as well as Barnes does, he'd be playing for Real Madrid by now.

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
Well done burns, you really are fighting your corner, your not answering my questions because you cant. sad sad little man
Oh dear. Just woke up. Go and have some milk and claim down. CBeebies will start shortly and you can watch your programmes.

If you had a point I'd answer it like I do the others. But the problem with you mate, as you have done time and time before, if someone says something you don't like, you call them a twat or a ****. So whats the point in bothering with someone like you. You are immature and need to grown up, and when you do the grown ups may listen to you and let you join in the grown up conversations.

And I have called you a knob and retard, because of your earlier posts. Its well and good coming over as someone who being put upon, but you know as well as I do, if someone says something against a Brighton player on here, or something you dont like you just start stupid name calling, so don't whine when someone give it back to you, you silly silly little boy!

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
This thread is getting silly. Mr Burns clearly doesn't rate a striker that has scored some important goals on a consistent basis, so what? He's clearly wrong, let's move on.
I know. Its like your not allowed to have an opinion of your own on here. Funny thing is though, if you speak to people in the real world, opinion on Barnes is very divided. A lot of people do not rate him, but obviosuly can't be arsed to get into a conversation on here about it. And judging by this thread, who can blame them!

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
It's an interesting question, I think. The fact that Holroyd, Sandaza and Hart have all been here for the majority of the season and yet have not been close to replacing Barnes in the team suggests that Poyet doesn't think that they would have done any better.

We know that earlier in the season Poyet said he wanted another striker and with that in mind I think it's fair to suggest that Barnes was bought with the intention of being a third striker rather than an automatic starter. As things have panned out we were unable to get a better striker so Barnes has played a lot more than perhaps he and Poyet envisioned at the start of the season. So, as a third striker, who is only young and cost us peanuts it seems a tad harsh to be so overly negative towards him. He is after all the best of the rest and has at no point bigged himself up as a world beater(and nor has Gus.). It seems pointless to pick on him when he is doing his job to the best of his abilities and is making a half decent fist of it.

As for someone else taking his place in the team, baring in mind the trouble we've had finding that other striker, I'd suggest that it's unlikely that we'd have found a better prospect for the same fee/wages. If that player were available, why didn't we sign him(seeing as Poyet was always on the lookout for another striker)? We'd have either had to make do with an inferior player, or had to play 4-5-1(or some other formation adapted to the players available) a lot more often.

Also, your main criticism appears to be his weakness and propensity to 'bottle' challenges. If given the choice what striker would you prefer; a weak in the tackle Barnes, or a considerably less gifted but not afraid of getting stuck in striker?
Well I don't think any player can be as weak as Barnes is, and be a decent striker. I'm not saying he has to be a strong tackler, just not "avoid" tackles would be a start.

Going around in circles, who knows what may have happened if Sandaza had his game time, or even Holroyd for that matter. Now I know people on here have managed to come to the conclusion that Holroyd is shit based on the few minutes hes been on the pitch, but if he had got an early goal, who knows what may have been. There was obviosuly somehting about him to make us sign him. On the face of it, Barnes 15 goals looks great. But for a team that has dominated the league, and the cases he's had and wasted, I don't think it is great, which is why I say if we weren't top and the team wasn't dominating games and creating so many chances over the season, I bet there would be a lot more speaking out about Barnes, but because he is in this team, a team so much better than the rest and so dominant, he gets judged on what the team does, and not so much on what he does.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Funny thing is though, if you speak to people in the real world, opinion on Barnes is very divided. A lot of people do not rate him,

Granted NSC is not the 'real world' but given that it represents a fair cross section of BHA supporters and within that virtually nobody agrees with you. As you think a lot of people don't rate him just how real is your world ?

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Barnes does now actually seem to be taking his chances. In the last few games certainly he has bagged it if it comes along (Carlisle, Oldham) as opposed to the beginning of the season when, yes, he was "wasting chances.

Also we never looked like scoring until he came on at oldham.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Mods - please close this thread. It's so boring being bounced every week. Mr Burns was wrong, a cardinal sin on NSC and one I've yet to experience ;) But give the guy a break. The people looking sillier now are those who simply can't let it lie. Move on kids, as he said, grow up!!

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Well I don't think any player can be as weak as Barnes is, and be a decent striker. I'm not saying he has to be a strong tackler, just not "avoid" tackles would be a start.

Going around in circles, who knows what may have happened if Sandaza had his game time, or even Holroyd for that matter. Now I know people on here have managed to come to the conclusion that Holroyd is shit based on the few minutes hes been on the pitch, but if he had got an early goal, who knows what may have been. There was obviosuly somehting about him to make us sign him. On the face of it, Barnes 15 goals looks great. But for a team that has dominated the league, and the cases he's had and wasted, I don't think it is great, which is why I say if we weren't top and the team wasn't dominating games and creating so many chances over the season, I bet there would be a lot more speaking out about Barnes, but because he is in this team, a team so much better than the rest and so dominant, he gets judged on what the team does, and not so much on what he does.

Sandaza I will allow. He obviously had talent to do so well up in Scotland but his problem seems to be he is never fully fit (and that was apparently his problem for Dundee United too). Given that, would we really want to rely on him as first choice? As for Holroyd, I really wish he had succeeded for us but having watched him last year he did not even look like scoring and appeared out of his depth. Obviously have not seen him other than briefly against Orient this year but I think League 2 is probably his level. I am confident neither of them would have scored the goal that Barnes did at the weekend, when him and Dicker coming on changed the game for us (and ironically after Barnes went off we dropped back and started to defend too deep).

We may not agree on Barnes and argued about it before, but I agree that you should be allowed to express an opinion. However, I stand by what I said that the opening post on this thread was too strong and extremely harsh to Barnes. I am not certain he will be a regular for us at Championship level. However, he shows a lot of promise for a 21 year old (remember Murray is 27 and is about to have his first 20 goal season at this level so it can take time) and is a fantastic signing for the money we paid. We will have to see what happens next season if we go up. I didn't think Crofts would do that well in the Championship so you can never tell how player's will react to moving up a level.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Mods - please close this thread. It's so boring being bounced every week. Mr Burns was wrong, a cardinal sin on NSC and one I've yet to experience ;) But give the guy a break. The people looking sillier now are those who simply can't let it lie. Move on kids, as he said, grow up!!

Actually the silly person is the one who can't bring himself to admit he is wrong.

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
Granted NSC is not the 'real world' but given that it represents a fair cross section of BHA supporters and within that virtually nobody agrees with you. As you think a lot of people don't rate him just how real is your world ?
It doesn't actually. NSC is great, but it can also be a "love in". A lot of people won't bother giving their opinion on some issues, just because of the shit they will get. Even back when we were getting a new amnager every season, and I was lucky enough to be finding out days in advance when someone was getting sacked and who we were after and posting it, I was still getting shit for taking bollocks even when time and time again is came true, and a number of people then said in person and PM they don't bother posting stuff they know because of the shit they get from some here. Bunch of f***ing retards was one line used. I wouldn't go that far, but even in this thread you could only pick out a handful who are debating it, and the rest are just throw away one liners like that just add to the cost of running this site!!! You post doesn't really add to anything, other than have a dig. Why bother?

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
There you go again. We disagree, so you say I have to be wrong. What are you a nazi? What you says goes does it?

I could resort to your childish name calling but you don't need any help from me to make a complete fool of yourself.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton

As mentioned earlier in this thread, there are plenty who agree with Mr Burns (well, maybe not as strong, but certainly aren't fans of Barnes), there have been threads started criticising Barnes all through this season, and his improved form in recent months has reduced the number of threads started. However, there are still loads of negative comments about him in 'match day' threads, in 'player rating' threads, in 'where do we need strengthening?' threads and 'just back from...' and all too frequently the "criticism" he gets is so disproportionate (both to his performance and in comparison to the criticism levelled at people who make the same mistakes/put in the same level of performance) that it borders on abuse.

There are also frequent mentions of abuse being shouted at him at the grounds (particularly when that abuse comes before he scores).

Whether NSC is representative of a cross section of fans or not (and I doubt it is) there are plenty of fans who would side with Mr Burns in this discussion.

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
As mentioned earlier in this thread, there are plenty who agree with Mr Burns (well, maybe not as strong, but certainly aren't fans of Barnes), there have been threads started criticising Barnes all through this season, and his improved form in recent months has reduced the number of threads started. However, there are still loads of negative comments about him in 'match day' threads, in 'player rating' threads, in 'where do we need strengthening?' threads and 'just back from...' and all too frequently the "criticism" he gets is so disproportionate (both to his performance and in comparison to the criticism levelled at people who make the same mistakes/put in the same level of performance) that it borders on abuse.

There are also frequent mentions of abuse being shouted at him at the grounds (particularly when that abuse comes before he scores).

Whether NSC is representative of a cross section of fans or not (and I doubt it is) there are plenty of fans who would side with Mr Burns in this discussion.
Bloody hell. I wasn't expecting back up from Ackers:blush::thumbsup: ( iknow you dont agree with my views on Barnes)

For the record I think people that shout abuse at players at games are first class tossers, and no matter how crap someone plays or is, they don't deserve that. Sure you groan and moan when they cock something up (they probably feel the same way), but shouting direct abuse at players IMO should see you thrown out the ground.

Which is why forums like this at good at letting people talk about players and the club. Don't think for one second any player listens to what is said on here about them. If they did and allowed it to effect them, then in all honestly they shouldn't be a pro footballer.

samtheseagull

Sep 15, 2010
Oh dear. Just woke up. Go and have some milk and claim down. CBeebies will start shortly and you can watch your programmes.

If you had a point I'd answer it like I do the others. But the problem with you mate, as you have done time and time before, if someone says something you don't like, you call them a twat or a ****. So whats the point in bothering with someone like you. You are immature and need to grown up, and when you do the grown ups may listen to you and let you join in the grown up conversations.

And I have called you a knob and retard, because of your earlier posts. Its well and good coming over as someone who being put upon, but you know as well as I do, if someone says something against a Brighton player on here, or something you dont like you just start stupid name calling, so don't whine when someone give it back to you, you silly silly little boy!

Still cant answer the question then, football is about opinions and your is different, but even after you have been proved wrong time and time again you still wont admit maybe you were wrong about barnes. Yes i did call you a twat ect ect, because to be honest i think you are, as im sure alot of people on here does aswell. I do dislike it when a "fan" slags off players, fair enough if you dont think there good but threads like this doesnt really help anyone. I support who ever Gus puts in the team whether i rate them or not, maybe you should try it. Also all this about milk time and cbeebies, do you find that funny? If you do i bet you and your mates have a great laugh down the pub on a friday night.

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
Still cant answer the question then, football is about opinions and your is different, but even after you have been proved wrong time and time again you still wont admit maybe you were wrong about barnes. Yes i did call you a twat ect ect, because to be honest i think you are, as im sure alot of people on here does aswell. I do dislike it when a "fan" slags off players, fair enough if you dont think there good but threads like this doesnt really help anyone. I support who ever Gus puts in the team whether i rate them or not, maybe you should try it. Also all this about milk time and cbeebies, do you find that funny? If you do i bet you and your mates have a great laugh down the pub on a friday night.
And there is your problem. You are blinkered, as daddy says, sam doesn't like it when someone critizes a player. Maybe you should start a thread, get some weed go back to the 60s and have a love in. You call is slagging off (because you are blinkered) I call it critism, harsh, mayeb very harsh, but IMHO fair.

Why should I admit I am wrong about Barnes because you say so? I don't think I am. Sure he's played better over the last few months, but I still think he's way short of the rest of the team, and very fortunate to be in the position he is.

THis thread doesn't help anyone? What threads do? Its a forum, and if you dont like seeing good and bad things said, then its probably best not to use them.

I like like 99% of supprters support who ever Gus puts in the side. Why wouldn't I. I've supoported Brighton since I could walk. Doesn't mean I have to rate every player Gus picks, as you yourself have said, you support players whether you rate them or not. The second you hear me or anyone shouting abuse at Barnes or anyone else on the pitch then tell them to f*** off by all means, I'll be with you, but don't start calling people twat and other stuff, just because they don't rate someone, or havbe different views to you.

People like you get so blinkered in your views, you only answer is to start name calling, as you admit doing earlier in the thread, and thats why I give you abuse. You think because someone says they dont rate someone, they are not a "Fan" or are slagging the players off, yet you admit you dont rate every player Gus picks, but you still support them. Then you come out with crap like maybe you should start supprting them team, and that just kills your argument in my opinion. Completely blinkered.

So a serious question like I asked BHAExpress... are you a nazi? I'm not calling you one, I asking if you are one. Because you seem to like to repress peoples views is they don't match yours, but then you sort of admit, you don't rate everyone Gus picks, as I don't rate Barnes, but you seem to allow yourself that view, but not allow others to express one that differs from yours without absuing them? So are you a nazi, or just a blinkered bullyboy?

And yes I do find the cbeebies and milk time funy, because in your views and they way to try and push them over, you come over as a spolit child whos never been told they are wrong. And I don't even know what your question is you keep bleating on about. You've done this before as well, where you just write absue, but to you theres a question in there. You may have said something, I don't really care, I'm sure I;ve already answered it though, if not ask it again if it means that much to you, but you said about 3 times I haven't answered your question but I dont know (or care) what is it

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
In defence of Mr Burns, Barnes has dramatically improved in the last 2 or 3 months.

But I don't think even that's true TBH - I thought Barnes was total quality from when he first arrived: I do think there's something in the "goalscorers are born not made" theory and I think it was pretty bloody obvious from how he started that he had what it takes and moreso at the age of 20. He's very obviously proven that right ever since. Well, to some anyway, obviously.

This thread is getting silly. Mr Burns clearly doesn't rate a striker that has scored some important goals on a consistent basis, so what? He's clearly wrong, let's move on.

Why? His bizarre Channel Tunnel-with-a-pickaxe-by-next Wednesday inability to stop digging has now been joined by some desperate backpedalling so frantic that a unicyclist on speed heading towards a brickwall would be proud of it. It's all great NSC sport and getting almost as good as a grand old flounceroo.

And if one person thinks before slack-jawedly posting ill-thought out stuff slagging off a terrific young player as a result of this entire omelette's worth of eggs landing on someone's face every time Barnes scores, I can probably live with that.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here