Ashley Barnes isn't nearly good enough for us.

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
You could indeed, but instead you said that Barnes was cowardly, was not good enough for us (and we can only presume that you are referring to this season as we are a league one team who have finished in the bottom half of the league for most of the last few years, as we have no idea who will be playing for us next season).

What got on people's backs was the personal nature of your criticism of Barnes as a man, not as a footballer.

I have never met him, he could be a complete throughly nice bloke, and whilst you repeat that it is nothing personal, to call someone cowardly, out of his depth, lightweight, whining, tart, shit scared suggests you do have a personal issue with him, and it is this, rather than your technical criticisms of him, (many of which I think have some validity) which stick in the neck.
I never called him a coward though. That's how you have taken it. I said he cowardly ducks out of the way at headers, but I think that's different to calling him a coward. I think anyone who can go and play football is front of thousands and thousands of people isn't a coward, it takes bollocks to do that. But I think on the pitch I said in the origianl post he is a lighweight, a tart, a bottler or any other way you want to put it. That is criticism of Barnes as a footballer, not a man.

As I've said many times now, I dont know him, so cannot judge him as a person, just a footballer, and if I did know him, I definately wouldn't judge him as a person on here. Its a football forum, and my comments are towards the player, not the man.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
As I've said many times now, I dont know him, so cannot judge him as a person, just a footballer, and if I did know him, I definately wouldn't judge him as a person on here. Its a football forum, and my comments are towards the player, not the man.

Fair enough.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
It'll show that when things are going well, people won't hear a bad word about anyone no matter what the case is, but when things go bad people will have a go at anything that moves in a strippy shirt. My point is, I judge things has I see them, not because of how the teams doing, but how the individual is.

That is a bit black and white though - and it is a grey old world we live in. Barnes has received lots of criticism in some quarters (not just you) but also lots of other people seem prepared to give him the benfit of any doubt, and also trust in what Gus sees in him. Clearly at £60K Gus knew he was not buying the finished article. But I assume he saw a player who can do a job for the team, and who, with guidance can improve. To your own admission we have seen that - and he has jumped two divisions in ability in six months. Let's see how he develops in the next six months.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
Mr Burns, I admire your for sticking to your guns and defending your position but what more do you need to see before you judge Barnes more favourably?

Out of interest, how rare is it that a Brighton team has a second striker scores 15 goals in a season? Sure he's missed a few but so has Murray. I will come out and say that as things stand, I rate Barnes. He may not make it in the championship but seriously, his input this season has been invaluable and if his only purpose is to contribute 15 goals in a season that ends with promotion then it was £60k well spent.

Lord Bamber

Legendary Chairman
Feb 23, 2009
Heaven
Again, I have said I'm more than willing to admit I was wrong, as i have and was with bridcutt. Although it was a great goal yesterday, I still don't think he's got a future.

Having been wrong about Bridcutt do you think you might not be a good judge? Just a thought like.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Man-Digging-Hole.jpg

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
got no come back on my thread
what thread? you can't debate. you can barey manage to write one line without telling someone to f*** off or that they are a prick.... so you opinion means f*** all as far as I'm concered, until you can act like a grown up, and that will only happen when you become one. Time for your milk and cookies and then of to bed. School tomorrow.:bigwave::bigwave:

Joey Deacon's Disco Suit

It's a THUG life
Apr 19, 2010
what thread? you can't debate. you can barey manage to write one line without telling someone to f*** off or that they are a prick.... so you opinion means f*** all as far as I'm concered, until you can act like a grown up, and that will only happen when you become one. Time for your milk and cookies and then of to bed. School tomorrow.:bigwave::bigwave:

jesus wept. And this is supposed to be grown up debate?

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
That goal was f***ing difficult to score yesterday. Plus a great run as well.

samtheseagull

Sep 15, 2010
Given a run, the same as Barnes had, I feel confident Sandaza would have bettered his goal tally, and Barnes would be the 4th striker. Haven't seen enough (or anything for that matter) of Holyrod, but now we'll never know, but who knows if he had got an early goal for the club what might have been.

If this was the case i think Gus has seen enough of Sandaza in training and games to of given him a run out? You have only seen Sandaza in a few games. I did see Sandaza start against Brentford (i think) and his hold up play and movement was no where near as good as Barnes(dont think Sandaza is crap tho) If you really still think Barnes is not that good i would suggest you find another sport to follow as you clearly no nothing about football.

Oatway4England

Mar 17, 2011
Which is why I can't be arsed with samtheretardedseagull. He can barely manage a sentence most of the time, and then it usually ends in prick or twat, so I tend to ignore him. He'll be in bed now anyway.

Yet he posted a perfectly sensible post and you end up replying like a complete kid?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports