Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Are we as good as I think we are?

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Your usual garbage.
Newcastle fans think £13m Burn was a good buy - so it’s subjective.
£25m for a proven PL striker is nothing - so the fee for Wood is not extortionate. Strikers cost more.
Trippier - £12m - wow. How do you know what his wages are? Guesswork and probably wrong.
Pope - £10m

So, £63m. Less than 1 Cucu. Yep, they’re really splashed the cash.

As for what they do in the future - that’s frigging irrelevant to what Howe has done with a lot of the same players which is what I stated. You really should think before posting.

[emoji23] how can you get that so wrong when you’re trying to make a point and prove someone else wrong?!

larus

[emoji23] how can you get that so wrong when you’re trying to make a point and prove someone else wrong?!

I’ll keep it simple for you.

My point was that they’ve not spent big like the Manc clubs, Chelsea etc. Yes, they’ve added players but not to the extent that was predicted when they were bought by the Saudis. People were saying that they would be throwing hundreds of millions and buying big players. Well, that clearly hasn’t happened.

I never said they’d not bought players - I said they were still using a lot of the same players and had done some recruitment. Most PL clubs buy/sell players all of the time.

Here’s my original post for you:

“They haven’t spent mega-bucks though have they.

They’ve not done what both Manc clubs have done and, from what they’d said, they don’t intend to. Now that may change, but IMO a lot of the improvements is from Howe and sensible recruitment.”

Diablo

NSC Patron
Sep 22, 2014
lewes
Are we as good as I think we are?

To judge we need to know how good you think we are .

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Your usual garbage.
Newcastle fans think £13m Burn was a good buy - so it’s subjective.
£25m for a proven PL striker is nothing - so the fee for Wood is not extortionate. Strikers cost more.
Trippier - £12m - wow. How do you know what his wages are? Guesswork and probably wrong.
Pope - £10m

So, £63m. Less than 1 Cucu. Yep, they’re really splashed the cash.

As for what they do in the future - that’s frigging irrelevant to what Howe has done with a lot of the same players which is what I stated. You really should think before posting.

Newcastle have a 25 million pound higher wage bill than us and 10th biggest in the league. Who do you think's earning that? Trippier or the stadium cleaners? :lolol:

https://www.spotrac.com/epl/payroll/

Barnet Seagull

Luxury Player
Jul 14, 2003
Falmer, soon...
Are we as good as I think we are?

To judge we need to know how good you think we are .

I think we're executing well and at the moment we're very good, maybe even a top-7 side. The angle I'm coming from is that there's an argument to say that our coaching is world class. The bit I can't quite reconcile is that I'm also extremely grateful to not get relegated. My expectations are so far out of alignment with what I'm seeing in front of me that's it's traumatic. I used to know my place as a Brighton fan. I knew where my club was at. Now? I have an identity crisis and it's all this clubs fault.:D

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
I’ll keep it simple for you.

My point was that they’ve not spent big like the Manc clubs, Chelsea etc. Yes, they’ve added players but not to the extent that was predicted when they were bought by the Saudis. People were saying that they would be throwing hundreds of millions and buying big players. Well, that clearly hasn’t happened.

I never said they’d not bought players - I said they were still using a lot of the same players and had done some recruitment. Most PL clubs buy/sell players all of the time.

Here’s my original post for you:

“They haven’t spent mega-bucks though have they.

They’ve not done what both Manc clubs have done and, from what they’d said, they don’t intend to. Now that may change, but IMO a lot of the improvements is from Howe and sensible recruitment.”
But they have spent mega bucks if we’re honest being. They’ve not even had 2 transfer windows yet and they’ve shelled out £180m. Also, it’s quite easy to discover that Trippier is on £144,000 pw.

They’re not yet in the position to sign the Mbappes/Neymars etc as that will happen no doubt once they’re in Europe and challenging the top of the table.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
It is nice to have a plan b and make positive or reactive substitutions and not just throw someone on after 70 minutes like for like just because.

We've planned this season very well. With the five subs rule and mid winter break for a World Cup where you could always pick up an injury or two it was always going to need a decent sized quality squad with options on the bench. So, as much as some on here lost their shit when we sold Biss and Cucu we have built a squad full of options. Recently we've opted to have the better footballers start but loads of pace on the bench but that can change any time we want. Having a fully fit Welbz is like having a new player, a really good one.

This same thing seems to have come as somewhat of a surprise to other clubs. Villa are struggling this season and brought on only three players against Palace, the very average Douglas Luiz, the going downhill Coutinho and the aging Ings. Fulham have started well this season but have a bang average bench and will get found out once an injury or two happens. Everton made two changes (in one hit) when not winning at home against expected-to-struggle Forest.

Of course you don't HAVE to make five changes but we definitely have the players to do so if we need.

Last edited:

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
We’re a very good team but only a handful of great players. Trossard when played high up the pitch, Caicedo potentially very soon, arguably our three centre backs are borderline but not quite there. We have the opportunity to do very well but if we continue to sell two great players a season we’re going to have to be making three of our own every year and that’s pretty tricky. We’ve arguably only done it twice in Bissouma and Cucurella in my lifetime. It’s easy to find or develop good players with our resources but I think we’ll struggle to kick on unless we achieve that in regards greats. We’re going to get picked over by the vultures and not just for the Dan Burn and Ben White’s but anybody great rather quickly from now on. Top half can become a consistent thing but I think we’ll struggle to get above 7th once manure are decent again. It really is a different league for those 6 clubs and Leicester arguably had 5-6 great players just all under the radar at once before most got creamed off the top. Those sides won’t let that happen again.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
No we're not that good and we definitely, definitely aren't going to be getting European football this season. I hereby cancel out this jinx and it's null and void, footballing gods.

We're awful. Boring. Predictable. Managers will figure us out. Our days are numbered.

Hopefully that should do it.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
We’re a very good team but only a handful of great players. Trossard when played high up the pitch, Caicedo potentially very soon, arguably our three centre backs are borderline but not quite there. We have the opportunity to do very well but if we continue to sell two great players a season we’re going to have to be making three of our own every year and that’s pretty tricky. We’ve arguably only done it twice in Bissouma and Cucurella in my lifetime. It’s easy to find or develop good players with our resources but I think we’ll struggle to kick on unless we achieve that in regards greats. We’re going to get picked over by the vultures and not just for the Dan Burn and Ben White’s but anybody great rather quickly from now on. Top half can become a consistent thing but I think we’ll struggle to get above 7th once manure are decent again. It really is a different league for those 6 clubs and Leicester arguably had 5-6 great players just all under the radar at once before most got creamed off the top. Those sides won’t let that happen again.

So, are you only FIVE years old?

We've had gems many times before destined for bigger / greater clubs than BHA

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
I too pinch myself when I watch some of our play. We have had good individual players in the past, some great even, but other than pairs of players who have come good like Ward & Mellor, I don’t remember us ever have it from a team playing such attractive, skilful, quick, interlinking football, and getting the results such play deserves. Some of it is mesmerising. Hard to keep this going for a whole season. There will be setbacks.
Eighth will do me - that would be yet more progress. Anything more a bonus. Not sure we need European football just yet.

larus

But they have spent mega bucks if we’re honest being. They’ve not even had 2 transfer windows yet and they’ve shelled out £180m. Also, it’s quite easy to discover that Trippier is on £144,000 pw.

They’re not yet in the position to sign the Mbappes/Neymars etc as that will happen no doubt once they’re in Europe and challenging the top of the table.

My original post was that they haven’t spent the big bucks and that is correct and I EXPLICITLY referenced the Manc clubs as an example. Man C (another oil club) spent more on 2 fullbacks than we spent on our stadium.
So I stick to my point, Newcastle have not done that. Jeez, Burn was £13m, less than we spent on Webster.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here