Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Apple iPhone wins prestigious award

Rusthall Seagull

Jul 16, 2003
Tunbridge wells
A friend of mine purchased an iPhone 3GS last week, and let me play around with it for a few minutes so as I could make some kind of comparison between it and the BlackBerry 8900 Curve that I own.

Having done so, I am convinced I made the correct choice of handset.

thats the thing, I suppose what you use it for - as I said earlier, for me it is the best phone I have ever had, prob because it is simple, I can listen to music easily, it is compatible with my mac and has good golf games !

I dont use it for business at all

REDLAND

Jul 7, 2003
At the foot of the downs

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Camera is "pretty good" but is still mid range for a phone. It has a high-end phone price point, it should have a high end phones camera (5+MP, optical zoom, reputable lens brand, etc)

Why? It has more than enough else going on to justify the price.

Single tasking means you can't have two non-background applications open at once. Apple have historically been very, very bad at multitasking - MacOS didn't support it at all originally then had a bad implementation of it that could crash the entire system until 1999.

How many phones are "good" at having more than one app open at a time? Most phone are embarrassing with this sort of thing. So you're not counting having iPod on while doing other things, then? Or multiple Push features running?

It IS featureless for its price point - compare the feature list of an iPhone to a similarly priced Nokia, Samsung, Palm or Blackberry and you'll see the Apple is a mid ranged device.

No, because the things it does, it does SO much better than those phones.

Its web browser is Webkit Mobile which is also on every Nokia for about four years - before the iPhone even existed it was on the high end Nokia units.

I'm sorry but using the Internet (Safari) on an iPhone DOES P*SS all over using internet on other devices, mostly because of the touchscreen tech.

Its mp3 player is an iPod which I'd well challenge as being "best" - its only the best if you've been sucked in to iPod brand worship before getting the phone.

Bollocks to being sucked in, it looks beautiful and works like a dream. Simple.

Maybe you're looking for something else in a phone, but for a phone that is beautifully presented, does the basics very very very well, and is just FUN to use, iPhone is a quality phone.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
does it now display flash video ?

Nope. I can handle that massive BLOW. Trying to use internet on other phones is pathetic. I've tried Palms, HTCs, etc. They're so awkward in comparison.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Maybe you're looking for something else in a phone, but for a phone that is beautifully presented, does the basics very very very well, and is just FUN to use, iPhone is a quality phone.

So, you're openly admitting it hasn't got the features or the quality of features (cameras, etc) or high-end phones yet still deny its only a medium range phone?

For reference, most phones with a wholesale price the same as the iPhone are exceptionally good at handling multiple applications. Mostly because they're running mobile operating systems, not a behemoth of a 1980s UNIX hacked on to a phone.

Also, you use "beautiful" a lot there. Goes well with the vapid twat accusations of the 'article'....

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
A friend of mine purchased an iPhone 3GS last week, and let me play around with it for a few minutes so as I could make some kind of comparison between it and the BlackBerry 8900 Curve that I own.

Having done so, I am convinced I made the wrong choice of handset.

You are never going to be able to see all of its features in just a few minutes that your mate let you have it for.

You need one for at least couple of days to realise its full potential.

And i don't even use the ipod feature.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
So, you're openly admitting it hasn't got the features or the quality of features (cameras, etc) or high-end phones yet still deny its only a medium range phone?

For reference, most phones with a wholesale price the same as the iPhone are exceptionally good at handling multiple applications. Mostly because they're running mobile operating systems, not a behemoth of a 1980s UNIX hacked on to a phone.

Also, you use "beautiful" a lot there. Goes well with the vapid twat accusations of the 'article'....

Not really. I like things that look nice. If that makes me a twat, that makes everyone in the world a twat, apart from a few weirdos. So moot point.

I'm saying it does the important things, and does all of them BETTER than ANY other phones.

If you actually USED the internet on iPhone for everyday things, then used the Palm, HTC etc for the same, you could NOT come back to me with a straight face and say they were better for it. They're just not.

Seems like we've got a bitter "twat" here. And acting like the iPod is not a market-leading MP3 player, you're just talking gibberish now.

Obviously you're looking for a different type of phone. The iPhone is not for you. It is for a LOT of people. Get over it.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Seems like we've got a bitter "twat" here. And acting like the iPod is not a market-leading MP3 player, you're just talking gibberish now.

Bitter over what, precisely? You've not managed to explain how anyone here is bitter, just gone in to rants about how your shiny thing does its limited featureset "better" than others.

Also, the market leader can still be shite.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Gotta love these technospats.
Where's Redland when you need him ?

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Bitter over what, precisely? You've not managed to explain how anyone here is bitter, just gone in to rants about how your shiny thing does its limited featureset "better" than others.

Also, the market leader can still be shite.

Calling someone a vapid twat for liking things that look nice. And because you clearly can't beat them, and refuse to join them.

They're not rants. I've backed them up with cogent points.

I'm not going to convince you, but I'm fine with that because everyone who has an iPhone still gets to enjoy the hell out of them. I'm out.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Calling someone a vapid twat for liking things that look nice. And because you clearly can't beat them, and refuse to join them.

They're not rants. I've backed them up with cogent points.

I'm not going to convince you, but I'm fine with that because everyone who has an iPhone still gets to enjoy the hell out of them. I'm out.

I have a higher feature set and the same web browser on my 18 month old, well out of contract Nokia. I could join the iTwats in about 20 minutes if I went in to Carphone Warehouse.

I've nothing to be bitter about. You have everything to be defensive about, having spunked a lot of cash or a long contract on a phone that can barely compete with units half its price.

REDLAND

Jul 7, 2003
At the foot of the downs

Can someone please explain this Apple Wars stuff? I will soon need a new phone, I've looked at the iphone and think it is easy for an idiot like me to use and suits what I want it for. If it has a shit camera? Great, I never use them anyway. I have never owned an Apple product in my life yet if I decide to buy an iphone on merit then a large number of people automatically see me a a trend following twat. Why? I don't really care, I'd just like to understand their reasoning.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here