Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Apple iPhone wins prestigious award

Rusthall Seagull

Jul 16, 2003
Tunbridge wells
The touchscreen. Very responsive and easy to use.

Texting is p*ss easy, quicker than on any other phone I've used. Ditto calling/voicemail etc.

It looks GORGEOUS. The design is like something from the near future. No horrible QWERTY keyboard cluttering it up.

It has an iPod built in, which is like an added bonus, having (IMO) the best MP3 player around included.

Best web browser by far on any phone used. Again the touch screen makes this possible, using Internet on phones was painful until this came out.

Games are pretty fun, and there are literally thousands of apps, of which about 100 or so are useful, so if you know what you're looking for you can get a lot of joy from it.

you TWAT

gullshark

Dec 5, 2005
Worthing
As a phone, it's average.

As an internet device / pda and music player, it's great.

It's all about the apps.

And yes, I do have one, I develop software for both iPhones and Android phones and I just preferred the iPhone, plus Google will probably try and rape all your personal data for advertising purposes if you have an Android phone. (that's not to say that PinchMedia don't try that already on iPhone apps)

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
A friend of mine purchased an iPhone 3GS last week, and let me play around with it for a few minutes so as I could make some kind of comparison between it and the BlackBerry 8900 Curve that I own.

Having done so, I am convinced I made the correct choice of handset.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Bad camera. Single-tasking. Utterly featureless without addon software until recently.

Its a mid-range phone hyped up to be a high-end one by the standard Apple fans who assume their gear has to be best due to its logo.

Camera is actually pretty good.

Single tasking meaning?

Not even going to bother with featureless, that's a ridiculous comment from someone who has clearly not spent more than a day with an iPhone, or doesn't know how to use one.

It's touch screen is the best in the market.

It's web browsing is BY FAR the best in the market.

It's mp3 player is BY A JOKE AMOUNT the best on a phone ever.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Its a mid-range phone hyped up to be a high-end one by the standard Apple fans who assume their gear has to be best due to its logo.

Not exactly a bad assumption to make, considering the near flawless track record.

Oops.

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
I really don't get why people hate iPhones so much.. If you don't like them.. don't get one! Simple.

But the fact is.. there are (even 2 years after launch) no more than 5 handsets that even come close to its functionality.

Rusthall Seagull

Jul 16, 2003
Tunbridge wells
How expensive is your contract? How long are you tied in to it as a result of the re-sign to get the iPhone?

£32 a month - 2 years, longer than my previous contract with my sony eric (18 months) but cheaper on monthly basis. Have been with O2 for years. Any other info needed ?

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
How long have you had yours?

Thought as much.

Don't worry, no need to get all defensive again I bet you love it when people ask you what phone you've got so you can parade it around like some sort of fashion accessory.

Explain why its the best at what your saying it is? why aren't other phones just as good?

Common as Mook

Not Posh as Fook
Jul 26, 2004
I wonder if people ever felt like this about the Sony Walkman?

The best MP3 player and a phone. That should be enough for most.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
£32 a month - 2 years, longer than my previous contract with my sony eric (18 months) but cheaper on monthly basis. Have been with O2 for years. Any other info needed ?

Ah mate you're such a sheep, going with the crowd in getting by far the best phone available. Like, be original. Get a Nokia.....or errm...a HTC To:lolol: I can't do it.

As Tom said, don't like one, don't buy one. Don't begrudge people who get joy from theirs.

Rusthall Seagull

Jul 16, 2003
Tunbridge wells
As a phone, it's average.

As an internet device / pda and music player, it's great.

It's all about the apps.

And yes, I do have one, I develop software for both iPhones and Android phones and I just preferred the iPhone, plus Google will probably try and rape all your personal data for advertising purposes if you have an Android phone. (that's not to say that PinchMedia don't try that already on iPhone apps)

that is a good summary

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Camera is actually pretty good.

Single tasking meaning?

Not even going to bother with featureless, that's a ridiculous comment from someone who has clearly not spent more than a day with an iPhone, or doesn't know how to use one.

It's touch screen is the best in the market.

It's web browsing is BY FAR the best in the market.

It's mp3 player is BY A JOKE AMOUNT the best on a phone ever.

Camera is "pretty good" but is still mid range for a phone. It has a high-end phone price point, it should have a high end phones camera (5+MP, optical zoom, reputable lens brand, etc)

Single tasking means you can't have two non-background applications open at once. Apple have historically been very, very bad at multitasking - MacOS didn't support it at all originally then had a bad implementation of it that could crash the entire system until 1999.

It IS featureless for its price point - compare the feature list of an iPhone to a similarly priced Nokia, Samsung, Palm or Blackberry and you'll see the Apple is a mid ranged device.

Its web browser is Webkit Mobile which is also on every Nokia for about four years - before the iPhone even existed it was on the high end Nokia units.

Its mp3 player is an iPod which I'd well challenge as being "best" - its only the best if you've been sucked in to iPod brand worship before getting the phone.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
All this after someone posting a joke article which pokes fun at both those who own them and love them and also those who don't own them and hate on them.

Ridiculous.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Don't worry, no need to get all defensive again I bet you love it when people ask you what phone you've got so you can parade it around like some sort of fashion accessory.

Explain why its the best at what your saying it is? why aren't other phones just as good?

Haha not exactly. It stays in a slip case at all times. Dear me, you're wrong again.

I've given an extensive list. That should do.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Quick question to those that don't like iPhones.

Would you have an iPod touch?

No.

Creative is my mp3 player brand of choice. Nothing flashy but it allows me to categorise my music as I like and then plays it for me in the order I ask for at a suitable quality.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Not exactly a bad assumption to make, considering the near flawless track record.

Oops.

Near flawless track record? Apple? :wozza::wozza:

This is the company who backed the wrong horse for processors in 1993 and spent until 2005 pumping millions in to ever more desperate advertising campaigns claiming their slow, energy wasting, heat belching processors were better than standard Intel units, before eventually skulking over to Intels side. Their tune switched from "G5s are 2x faster than Intel units" to "Xeons are 4x faster than G5s" in the space of a month.

This is the company that spent ten years claiming their operating system was better than Windows, then bought one in and told everyone their old one was actually shit, sorry 'bout that, please buy new hardware to use this one...

This is the company that spunked millions developing a television STB only for sales to be woeful.
Twice. (once in the 1990s and now with the AppleTV).

This is the company that has had more problems with faulty mobile device batteries than any other, from laptops to phones and media players.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here