Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Anyone out there still prefer The Withdean?

SK1NT

Sep 9, 2003
Thames Ditton
As fantastic as the Amex is and the long plight of getting it there can be things you miss...

I miss seeing the opposition fans faces getting soaked
Miss watching the last 5 minutes on the running track and for those late goals (Adam Virgo Play Off Semi against Swindon being the best)
Miss the Rocket Man
Liked the easy parking
Always liked the thought of seeing a prem league side draw us away in a cup and having to endure the portercabins and porterloos :)

SK1NT

Sep 9, 2003
Thames Ditton
As was so eloquently put by a poster on another Albion board, "anyone who prefers Withdean to The Amex is, quite frankly, a ****"

I can't imagine anyone preferring it, but surely there isn;t anything wrong missing certain little things. After enduring somewhere for so long it can grow on you. I think it's just sentimental value.

Brok

🦡
Dec 26, 2011
I miss it because that's where I last watched the Albion. Still have to see us at the Amex, but that won't be this year, or maybe not even next year, due to things out of my control.
That could be a bit of a blessing really, as I'll get to see it first in all its completely finished glory.

I think now might be a good time to get my name on the ST waiting list.

Last edited:

The Oldman

I like the Hat
NSC Patron
Jul 12, 2003
In the shadow of Seaford Head
Prefer Withdean? No. Miss Withdean? Yes. Fond memories of the very nice people around me in G Block. They were very knowledgeable about football and funny with it. Loved the sausage and chips before the game and the small q for Mithras House after the match.
But as a footballing experience Amex wins hand down.

Last edited:

Prefer it? Not really, but I loved it as much as The AmEx for performing its' duty for those years.
Thus, I have a HUGE soft spot for it, and anyone who dispises The Withdean is, quite frankly, a stupid ****

I dispise very much the retail park that sits on top of The Goldstone, and even though I vowed never to even gaze upon it til we entered our new home - I still feel the same about the place. It will remain, like the 'men' who enabled it, unforgiven.

andybaha

Jan 3, 2007
Piddinghoe
The Amex is 'football heaven' and no-one in their right mind would prefer it to Withdean

However Withdean will always have fond memories for me. It was where I first got to take my son to see the Albion and on a warm late summer evening it wasn't a bad place to watch a game of football. I don't do beer at football matches, so I have to say that the catering at Withdean suited me better than the Amex. My kids always had a tray of chips at half time and I always hoped that they wouldn't be able to eat them all so I would have to finish them off. Ice creams all round in the summer (and sometimes even at Christmas).

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011
First time I saw us win ANYTHING was at Withdean.

So fond memories just for that.

TheJasperCo

Jan 20, 2012
Exeter
Yes, I prefer the Withdean.

Oh, wait, hang on, that's not what I meant.

I definitely prefer the Amex. We should never have had the old athletics ground in the first place. What did we do to deserve such an abomination? Fond memories maybe, but not of the ground itself.

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
I miss sitting in J Block and having a whole row to myself:down:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here