Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Anyone out there still prefer The Withdean?

Winker

CUM ON FEEL THE NOIZE
Jul 14, 2008
The Astral Planes, man...
Could do with an icecream van outside the Amex, there was nothing better on a cold winter's day than to sit in a slimy seat and enjoy the perverse pleasure of a '99' before the game.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
I don't miss Withdean, who in their right mind would, but I do still miss the Goldstone.

Loved that walk across Hove Park, standing on the NW terrace, the whole atmosphere of the place, being close to the pitch, jumpers for goalposts, all of that stuff.

There was also something special about being a smallish club, usually the underdog ... now most people think of us as a big club and that takes some getting used to.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Speaking of which, anyone out there still prefer Priestfield to the Amex?

I remember a couple of threads on here at the start of the season from fans who seemed dissolutioned by the seemingly drastic change in surroundings. Some saying they missed many things such as midweek away games at old-school "proper grounds" or the "us against the world" feeling when we were still fighting for our new ground & perhaps felt something missing after fighting for so long.

Personally, I think everyone has their own priorities on the perfect match day experience & if that's how you feel, then fair enough. As a bona fide JCL (supported the Albion since 2000, so never experienced the Goldstone:blush: I can safely say I have never looked forward to match day more in my life!! I just wonder if there are still fans out there that have stuck to their guns & stayed away, or whether it was just a knee jerk reaction to a strange environment & have since embraced football all over again?

:thumbsup:

Attachments

• 045.jpg
    045.jpg
    525.3 KB · Views: 42
  • 037.jpg
    037.jpg
    593.2 KB · Views: 51
  • 040.jpg
    040.jpg
    593.9 KB · Views: 40
  • 047.jpg
    047.jpg
    668.5 KB · Views: 42
  • 050.jpg
    050.jpg
    408.2 KB · Views: 36

Exiled in Exeter

Jul 16, 2003
W3D
Not that I miss it, but this is still my desktop background:

P31000050.JPG

chucky1973

Nov 3, 2010
Crawley
i miss sitting in the south stand at Withers and being able to say hello to Gullys girls at HT on the "concourse" behind the stand..........this is of course before they became famous.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
I still don't know what JCL stand for, so does that instantly make me one?

JCL stands for Johnny Come Lately.

Anyone who has only been supporting the club during its upward trajectory of recent times is a JCL. Nothing wrong with that IMHO. Just that the strength of their support has not been tested.

Anyone who has ever known the bad times at the club and still carried on supporting the team is not a JCL.

I do not prefer Withdean in any way shape or form, I do however miss:

Being able to get straight on a train after the games.
And the childlike excitement when emerging from the footpath from Preston Park station and walking down the hill being able to see the pitch, especially night games under lights, the crowds gathering, the noise from the PA system, the smell of burgers wafting through the air.

Apart from that, NOTHING.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Where's 'The Withdean'? ;)

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
I miss the Ice Cream Van. Nothing better than an early (or late) season game, sunny day and a 99

Apart from that, Withdean was S**T!

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Had a season ticket at the Goldstone, had a season ticket at Priestfield, and had a season ticket at Withdean. None of them are as good as the Amex. The Goldstone was great, but it was only great beacause it was ours. I started going in 1989, and to be brutally honest it was actually a bit of a dump of a ground by then. Priestfield was shit, but I personally enjoyed more than Withdean, especially after the novelty of the club moving back to Brighton had worn off. I don't think I ever really enjoyed going to Withdean, and went less and less as the years went on.

I'm absolutely loving the Amex, I look forward to every game. The atmosphere is great, as far as modern football goes anyway, the view is great, the whole experience of being able to have a pint before, during, and after the game is great, and the team is the best Brighton side I've ever seen.

The people who preferred the days at Withdean are generally those weirdos that lower league football attracts who like to think they are part of some exclusive club and who think they are mates with the Chairman. They might as well go and watch Lewes instead. In fact, they probably will eventually.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
And the childlike excitement when emerging from the footpath from Preston Park station and walking down the hill being able to see the pitch, especially night games under lights, the crowds gathering, the noise from the PA system, the smell of burgers wafting through the air.

I never had that. Every time I walked down that hill, all I ever thought was "This is shit, I cannot wait to get out of here".

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here