Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Anyone out there still prefer The Withdean?

WildWood

Sep 6, 2011
Chichester
I remember a couple of threads on here at the start of the season from fans who seemed dissolutioned by the seemingly drastic change in surroundings. Some saying they missed many things such as midweek away games at old-school "proper grounds" or the "us against the world" feeling when we were still fighting for our new ground & perhaps felt something missing after fighting for so long.

Personally, I think everyone has their own priorities on the perfect match day experience & if that's how you feel, then fair enough. As a bona fide JCL (supported the Albion since 2000, so never experienced the Goldstone:blush: I can safely say I have never looked forward to match day more in my life!! I just wonder if there are still fans out there that have stuck to their guns & stayed away, or whether it was just a knee jerk reaction to a strange environment & have since embraced football all over again?

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Couldn't wait to leave Withdene, far too many years in that cold, wet library.

Haven't even missed it for 1 second.

banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south
imagesCAY66R0V.jpgimagesCABDXZTT.jpg Tough one but Amex for Me.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Think the Amex will do, thanks for asking though

D

Deleted member 18477

i prefered my travel arrangements as i parked at work about a 2 min walk away. and i could get from my seat to my sofa in about 20 minutes after the game.

apart from that i prefer the AMEX although in a strange way i do miss Withdean but wouldnt want to go back.

British Grenadier

I hate P*rtsm**th
Jan 15, 2012
Hanover
I have pretty much stopped going to away games because I love going to the AMEX SO MUCH (plus I'm a bit poor these days).

Bean

Feb 13, 2010
Hove
It was useful that I lived a 20 minute walk from Withdean but overall I can safely say that I do not miss it.

Shoreham Beach Seagull

May 6, 2009
Shoreham Beach
I've only missed the away games from the old Brighton as we now know it. Travelling to Exeter, Carlise, Walsall ect. always had something special about it. I guess getting away with under 16's tickets always made it a cheap day as well so the prices of away games now (as a student) are hard to pay for. The Amex is a dream compared to getting wet in the South stand at Withdean

There is probably a correlation between those pining for Withdean, those who keep bemoaning the loss of Murray and those who still hold out hope that the Messiah will return and reclaim the 25 shirt.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Oddly I used to like it when it rained on me in the South Stand and I could hunker down under my plastic cape hood and hear the rain pattering on the hood. Funny though, I don't miss it it all in our fantastic new stadium.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
I miss seeing the same faces at The Sportsman. Oh and walking back up the hill to Dyke Road after the match. Thats about it really.

mistahclarke

Jul 28, 2009
The only thing I miss is I live 5 minutes away. if we still played at the Withdean I could leave my flat at 2:30 and wouldn't have to get crushed on a train. Other than that, wouldn't swap it.

edit - oh and the pies at Amex have coincided with me getting fat.

Last edited:

halbpro

Jan 25, 2012
Brighton
My dad says he misses the boards, solely because when everyone was pounding on them you got some great sound. I don't know if that really counts, that Amex is obviously miles better.

Since1982

Sep 30, 2006
Burgess Hill
Funnily enough I had a quick nostalgic moment today as I looked out of my office window at the lovely sunshine and I remembered that it was pleasant on those sunny days to sit in the south stand and watch the game. But it was only a brief moment and I wouldn't swap my seat in the West Stand for any at Withdean.

bravohotelalpha

Jan 23, 2011
Good Old Sussex By The Sea
The Amex is simply orgasmic - no question about that at all !!! but cant help feeling a tiny bit nostalgic abt Withdean, it was a good home to us for all those years - just where would we have been without Withdean ..... :amex:

WildWood

Sep 6, 2011
Chichester
I suppose what made me start this thread was another watch of "The Withdean Years" & I was surprised at how much of that time I'd forgotten (John Piercy - I'd forgotten how brilliant he was for us for a start!!) but I agree with the majority - nice memories but give me my padded seat in the North stand any day!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here