Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Anyone out there still prefer The Withdean?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I went past it on the train the other day and caught the usual fleeting glance.

I did a dry retch.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I do find it hard to diss the place, even if it does seem like a sick joke when you now pass it on the train.

Without Withdean, we'd have died. And we had some good times there.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
I do find it hard to diss the place, even if it does seem like a sick joke when you now pass it on the train.

Without Withdean, we'd have died. And we had some good times there.

Without Robbie Reinelt we could well have died. Doesn't mean he wasn't shit.

jollygriffiths

Oct 24, 2009
I miss sitting around a load of decent fans who generally knew what they were talking about when it came to the albion.. i love the amex but everytime i go there i do think to myself that i don't like the majority of the people around me due to the comments they make.. they seem to know nothing about how far we've come and it does often make me think well at least the people at withdean were decent.. mind you in 3 years time this statement will be most probably be nonsense.

Mr Blobby

Jul 14, 2003
In a cave
The ONLY thing I miss is that basically everyone I knew used to meet up at half time down near the ladies toilets in the South Stand. Now we are split in North, WSU and WSL, but we do all meet up in the WSL bar after the game.

The view, altmosphere and general buzz in the WSU is amazing, love it. The front few rows of D Block Withdean is now the front few rows of G Block in the WSU, and that makes it extra special.

The Goldstone for me will be associated with the glory days of the late 70s/early 80s, terraces, and basically falling in love with the club as a youngster, then at the end fighting for the survival of the club. Falmer is now our home and will be for the long term, so could not be happier about how everything has finally fallen into place 38 years since my first game.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I miss the group of people that sat around us at Withdean.

That's it.

I Miss:

The double cheese burger and chips i'd have before each game.

An Ice Cream at the beginning and end of the season.

Things I do not miss:

1) The REALLY annoying small fat man behind me with the high pitched voice, who would shout "GET IT FORWARD" for 90 minutes, or under Adams/Slade "HOLD THE BALL"/"PASS THE BALL ON THE FLOOR". Doesn't matter who it was, they were "SH*T"

2) The Rain, the seemingly never ending rain. Not only that but the cold wind that joined it, when you're sitting 20th in League One thinking of reasons why you want to keep coming, there weren't many.

3) My tiny seat wedged between a Fat bloke (my father) and a giant, celebrating a goal was tricky...

4) If you think leaving the AMEX takes ages, if anyone cane remember it took forever for the south stand to clear.

5) The PA was permanently distorted, set to some uncomfortably loud volume and EQ'd specifically (felt like) for dogs.

6) I had to train myself to only go for a piss before and after a game It was too much of a hassle to go at half-time, still now I can't urinate during a football match, maybe some variation of Pavlov's Dog?!?

All in all, AMEX is amazing. We had some good times at Withdean, but i certainly do not prefer it!!!

Braders

Abi Fletchers Gimpboy
Jul 15, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
I miss not having to piss around with transport , leaving at 5 to 2 and getting home shortly after 5.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
The only thing I think was actually better then than now was The Sportsman, compared to Dick's Bar.

Can't explain why, just really enjoyed popping into the Sportsman before a game to get into the atmosphere.

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011
For all those that MISS withdean.:ohmy::eek:

Next time it rains, take a chair and sit out in it for a couple of hours. No umbrellas allowed. You are allowed a poncho in club colours

Last edited:

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
dont miss Withdean but last season was one of the most enjoyable in the 35 years of following the Albion.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
I miss it on mid-week evening games because it was easier to get to coming from London :moo:

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Right lets put this to bed.

Amex = NO Chips

Withers = Chips

THEREFORE Withers WINS.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
For all those that MISS withdean.:ohmy::eek:

Next time it rains, take a chair and sit out in it for a couple of hours. No umbrellas allowed. You are allowed a poncho in club colours

Has anyone reported still getting wet at the Amex?
If sat close to the pitch [front couple of rows] with a breeze blowing, is the poncho still required?

:moo:

Attachments

• scan0009 (2).jpg
    scan0009 (2).jpg
    536.8 KB · Views: 30
  • 055.jpg
    055.jpg
    279.6 KB · Views: 23
  • DSCF7133.JPG
    DSCF7133.JPG
    539.8 KB · Views: 17
  • shutcov.gif