Anyone ever seen a ghost?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
I used to live in a 500 year old house (the oldest house in Burgess Hill allegedly). My mother always insisted that there was a ghost but I never saw it. Having said that I don't refute the existence of ghosts completely because I'm of the opinion that we are too limited mentally to be able to acknowledge other dimensions that we cannot see. There's far too many unexplained phenomena and happening to dismiss such existences out of hand.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
As a child i kept a gerbil that likely dreamt of another world and snapped its neck between the bars of its cage on attempted escape. It wasn't allowed into animal heaven thanks to their over-strict belief it were suicide that brought him there. At first, as a big-toothed and lonely nibbler in limbo, he'd rustle up his mostly untouchable body in my pockets that i found little more than ticklish on occasion. I first noticed him fully when i witnessed a 5 pence piece floating in front of me that of course i found alarming and more dreamy than real, until Terry, as i grew to know him, squeaked his recognisable little howl and i knew it was him, my precious little missing gerbil with the invisible body and the wish to either be brought back to life or sent permanently to the other side. 15 years it took us with escapade after escapade, even the time when Gerbilzebub, the satanic cornflake-swallower appeared, horns no more than an inch in height but sharp enough to split bones in two with one miniscule poke, to fool both Terry and i into sending him into a place all furry, caged pets fear the most, Hamstades, had to be defeated. I didn't make many friends until Terry left me and went on to where he likely belongs. And since only really associate with seancers who allow me to have his aphysical form back in my pockets to jangle whatever i have in there for moments before stomaching a coin or a tack or small ball of Blutac and parading it in front of me. I've had other pets too, but their deaths are too clean and straightforward. Even the one's i've whispered to in sleep over plans to end their days out of choice and take to the airwaves to squawk or miaow or oink throughout their afterlives in my direction. Now it's just me remembering and reminiscing solo as i don't really want Terry to be robbed from Heaven for too long a period just for my amusement. He's probably happy up there now, sometimes shaking his petite ghostly head at the things i don't any more get up.

Manx Shearwater

Jun 28, 2011
Brighton
Yes, Wadhurst Railway Station (near the bridge), there is the ghost of a commuter who committed suicide back in the 80's. I was driving home one night with 4 other mates at about 1:30 in the morning from Tunbridge Wells when he appeared out of the fog in the middle of the road, straight in front of my car. I swerved to avoid him but was not quite quick enough and thought the worst. The strange thing was there was no impact and on braking and slowing down I looked in my rear view mirror and the guy was still walking down the middle of the road as if nothing had happened. He was wearing a bowler hat, pin striped suit and had a briefcase, his face had the expression of someone intent on getting somewhere fast (and I'm not joking) was ash white with a deathly look.

Terrified we drove off but my conscience got the better of me and I went back, he was nowhere to be seen, its a fairly rural part of the world with not many houses or options to go anywhere, suffice to say we were all extremely scared bearing in mind we were all about 17. I've had it confirmed by two other people (third party) of the ghost and apparently many other people have seen exactly the same thing.

I'm not disputing your account, but I used to commute into work in London in the 80's and never once saw anyone wearing a bowler hat!

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
One thing though, has an atheist ever seen a ghost... surely that could confuse his/her views on life (or death)???????
My Dad, who was a committed, card-carrying Atheist had several 'paranormal' (for want of a better word) experiences. Pretty much the same question was put to him and his reply was that just because things happen that can't be immediately explained doesn't imply that there is a God or an afterlife. He was more of the opinion that ghosts were some kind of 'echo'.

My sister is the same, a committed atheist who is also a bit psychic. When we were all children and she was about eight she said to my mum: "Mummy, who's that lady who keeps coming in and out of Tim and Mike's room?" She described her, and when my mum repeated the story to one of the older neighbours she said it was an exact description of a woman who had lived in the house about ten years before (not the people we'd bought it from) - and had died in our bedroom. My brother and I never felt, saw or heard anything all the time we lived there, but my sister has had quite a few similar experiences.

Aseros

Banned
Jun 6, 2011
Numerous times. Somebody died in my bedroom and when we moved in there was the most god awful smell coming from it. (The guy hadn't been found for a couple of weeks.)

My sister has seen people walking around the house through the windows in her bedroom (or what used to be her bedroom) as well as those walking around up and down the stairs.

My experiences were waking up in the middle of the night and seeing someone stare down at me, or standing by my curtains. This I can put down to tiredness however, but at times you see flashes in the corner of your eye.

My dad woke up downstairs and saw figures standing in the corner of our living room, my dog randomly barked at this location at times.

Visited a medium however and he told me that there was something in the house and he would try and get rid of it. The odd thing is he got the names correct of the person, as well as the country where his long lost sister lived.

Nothing has been experienced since that date, and to be honest the house does feel "easier"

Whether this is all in my mind or not I really don't know :)

Aseros

Banned
Jun 6, 2011
But if there was anything such a ghosts, they'd be everywhere ... or dinosaurs - I'd love to see a dinosaur ghost, but it doesn't happen.

because the theory is Ghost images die out over time, hence why older ghosts are more faded or something like that.

BHAFC_Pandapops

Citation Needed
Feb 16, 2011
He was more of the opinion that ghosts were some kind of 'echo'.

I believe this. Well, that certainly is the explanation of what they call a Residual Haunting, one that replays and replays over time, particularly if said manifestation was involved in some sort of severe trauma (murder/suicide)..

Sure these questions can't be answered now. They're not meant to be! That's what you start to learn on your deathbed :)

burrish-gull

Mar 24, 2009
I'm not disputing your account, but I used to commute into work in London in the 80's and never once saw anyone wearing a bowler hat!

That's what I saw! it may be the guy who commited suicide did it further back than the 80's that part I never did get confirmed. I know someone who saw exactly the same as I did but under different circumstances, been through that part of Wadhurst hundreds of times since at night and never saw it again

lost in london

Dec 10, 2003
London
Numerous times. Somebody died in my bedroom and when we moved in there was the most god awful smell coming from it. (The guy hadn't been found for a couple of weeks.)

My Whether this is all in my mind or not I really don't know :)

1. Why didn't you just move the body out of the house? Surely the first thing you do when you move into a new house where there's a dead body in one of the bedrooms. Although that does beg the question why you bought a house with a corpse. I'd have probably delayed completing.

2. I do - it is.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I'm very skeptical about ghosts, however I do believe we only truly understand about 2% of this world.

Only unexplained situation I ever had was on holiday in Bath with my wife, I was in the living room and she in the bedroom, and we heard the kitchen door slam INCREDIBLY hard. I ran through to her in the bed looking up at me, confused.

It was a basement flat so there was no question of window blowing it shut. Still can't explain it to this day. Not saying it was ghosts though.

I almost don't want to add this next bit because things like this always sounds stupid and tenuous, but we had GENUINELY been told that there had been a murder in the holiday home's garden just a few months beforehand.

Willy Dangle

Aug 31, 2011
It was a dark snowy night last Saturday, I had been to the game and went into Brighton afterwards and met the Mrs for a bite and a show. We were getting the late train home and had to change at three bridges. We resided in the warmth of the waiting room awaiting the next delayed train. There was no one else around and felt a very very strange feeling, it was a churning in my stomach and after about 30seconds I dropped my guts in a way you would not believe. 10 seconds later the door opened and a couple walked in and sat down.

The guy then voiced his paranormal experience and echoed 'somethings died in here'. I turned to the wife and said you dirty cow' and walked out.

:lol::lol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports