Anyone ever seen a ghost?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Aug 31, 2009
Brighton
All this kind of stuff is manifestations of the human mind imo. Untapped potential and suchlike - occasionally we get glimpses. Mentally ill people are driven mad by them. Badasses ignore that shit whilst thinking it is moderately cool.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003

Brian It's my view that the existence of ghosts would contravene the second law of thermodynamics. The principle of the conservation of energy, and the fact that entropy always increases; you'd be hard put to throw that away. You'd have to rip the book up; that's what it would imply if you saw a ghost. I would say, "I could not be any more surprised than I am by the fact that thermodynamics appears to be shit."

Sums it up nicely.
The 'entropy increases' argument is also used to explain why you don't see ghosts of cavemen, druids or Romans - or dinosaurs - because the energy that manifested them has dissipated.

There are so many stories of ghosts and hauntings that even if you dismiss 99.99% of them as utter crap or the effects of known human activity (such as hallucinations) you are still left with a stubborn .01% that can't be easily explained. That doesn't mean there ARE ghosts of course, rationally it just means that there are areas of how the mind works and how it reacts with its surroundings that we don't know about yet.

Falkor

Banned
Jun 3, 2011
I was talking to some one at St Dunstans the other day, and it got me thinking if its the mind, as the person said they see ghosts, the person in speaking is completely blind so she cant see anything. So is it mental.

My experience was a feeling that something was wrong no idea if anything was there but i just felt terrified.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
I don't even find the whole "ghostly apparition" the most interesting part of the mystery.

EVP's (electronic voice phenomenon) are far more interesting as a study in my opinion.

mistahclarke

Jul 28, 2009
I find it better to not think about it too much as it can put me off my stroke when knocking one out.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I find it better to not think about it too much as it can put me off my stroke when knocking one out.
Ah, yes, the 'seance-wank'. The feeling you get when you're, er, 'pleasuring yourself' that you're surrounded by the ghosts of disapproving dead female relatives.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
People thought the Earth was flat and that we were the centre of the Universe 200 years ago, they were very very wrong!!

Not sure they did actually. Bit of an urban myth that one. Astronomists as far back as 200BC had established that the Earth was round.

200 years ago? Blimey Magellen, and more precisely Elcano, had sailed round the World 300 years earlier than that, so I reckon it had long been established by 1812.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
I'd like to have a ghost dog. You wouldn't have to let it out into the garden thus letting all the cold air in, because it would just go THROUGH the french doors to deposit it's ghostly plops.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Got to know your ghosts nowadays. ...
Beware of the Revenants especially if you have murdered someone recently.

Manx Shearwater

Jun 28, 2011
Brighton
Its just a massive CGI alternative reality filmed by Fox News.

FACT.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Lived in a house in Dorking that hafd too many creepy experiences and a lot of bad luck for all of us living there. It felt menacing. Had a very tangible and unpleasant series of occurances happen to me and my girlfriend on the South Downs near Clapham Wood. Didn't know owt about the place till I got home and looked the place up. Was a very unsafe place.

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
Lived in a house in Dorking that hafd too many creepy experiences and a lot of bad luck for all of us living there. It felt menacing. Had a very tangible and unpleasant series of occurances happen to me and my girlfriend on the South Downs near Clapham Wood. Didn't know owt about the place till I got home and looked the place up. Was a very unsafe place.

Bloody ghosts they are so jealous of couples, just coz they couldn't get any when they were alive.

Foster House

Aug 25, 2010
East Sussex
St Lukes School in Brighton has been through one or two caretakers. I went there and heard the usual 'Bell Tower' rumours. It wasn't until a friend of mine told me that her son had resigned from his job as caretaker after some extremely frightening experiences of disruption from what appeared to be a poltergeist.

She rang the school the day after he resigned (he worked through an agancy and was confirmed as not the first to resign for this reason) and the school would not discuss the issue.

The account I was given was one of genuine fear. The school definately had a problem.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports