Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] An open letter from Graham Potter

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Of all the party line nonsense you've trotted out in the past, this is possibly the worst take of the lot. Come off it, "Potter effectively hired him" - do you really believe that BHA club legend Bruno was hired by not Bloom, not Barber, but Graham Potter a few weeks into the job?

I’ve no idea what the party line is. I think it’s been reported that Bloom is “very disappointed” but accepts why Potter has accepted the offer.

As for Bruno - Of course I and most fans don’t want to see him go but I’m not surprised. He’s a key part of GP’s coaching team so why the incredulity that he wants to keep that in place for Chelsea and Bruno wants to be part of that - however frustrating it feels.

Me and my Monkey

Nov 3, 2015
Anyway, Graham's gone, the club moves on. I can't wait to see Trossards trickery down the wing, Alexis scoring more screams, Gross doing his Gross-feints, Caicedo just casually stealing the ball from the most expensive and best technical players on the planet. There's a lot more to be excited about than there is to be afraid of.

Well, for a month or two longer, anyway.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Another conspiracy theorist! They had their target and moved quickly, that’s all. Nothing else.

They had been talking club wise for weeks. If you don't get that that's your problem. Things don't happen that quick.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Chelsea is not particularly well-run, the club is leaking everything happening inside. From all the dressing room stuff and internal communications stuff that has leaked, I know more about Boehly and Tuchel than about my own mother. I don't see a world where they've discussed sacking the manager and discussing with a new one without it all leaking in public.

Boehly said Tuchels sacking wasn't a consequence of the Zagreb game. I call bullshit and believe he just didn't want to come across as fickle.

You know very little

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
He has gone and we move on. He has left us in a better position then he came and I will be greatful.

On to the next chapter in BHA history, the club is bigger than one manager.

I think it hurts because we all know he is a top manager.

I wish him and his coaching team the best, just not against us.

You are a far better man than me tbh. Maybe one day I will be able to look at Potter and his leaving without rancour, but right now, the wound's still fresh.

That day will come quicker with a new manager in place and that continues the undoubtedly great work he has done here at Brighton and we're not in a freefall to Div 1.

Yes, I trust B&B but even with the greatest of DD, a new manager could be a square peg in a round hole. Just not gell with the team, players, PL, country and so on. A whole host of potential pitfalls.

We know how hard it is to get a good coach. Leaving Bruno and Roberts would have eased that and not made it so harsh to swallow.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
They had been talking club wise for weeks. If you don't get that that's your problem. Things don't happen that quick.

?? There’s no reporting that backs that up. It’s perfectly normal for appointments - if there are no issues - like that to be done quickly.

Dumseagull

Jun 13, 2012
Lancing
Surprised myself by being more hurt by losing Bruno than Graham!

I’m sure someone has already addressed this but how long till the “El Capitan” mural gets painted over!?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Firstly your not ever going to believe anything other than the sun shines out of Potters arse, otherwise you'd have to look what's around your ears.

Second, Boner is hardly likely to discuss his sacking with Tuchel. The discussions would have been between the two owners. As you seem to know everything, can you enlighten us what they discussed. And with even that, Potter was number one target in the media from day one even with Chelsea's history of going for big names.

And lastly, as pointed out by another, look at what we are going thru to replace the mercenary and his gang. No way has all that happened in 24 hours.

Does the sun shine more or less out of the arse of GP if he left in a second or discussed it for weeks? :shrug:

Sure, I think I can enlighten you about at least half of the "conversations between owners"

Boehly: "Hi, we're gonna pay the £16m buyout clause and take Graham Potter from you and there's absolutely nothing you can do about it since it would be a breach of contract if you didn't allow us to talk to him."

Not sure what Tony answered but as GP left and there's no talk of any impending lawsuit, he probably didn't have much of a choice other than to go with it.

Still no one has been able to explain or even give as much as a partial answer to why Boehly - if he had decided in August to sack Tuchel and appoint Potter - would have waited weeks into the new season and allowing Tuchel to spend hundreds of millions of pounds if it was decided a long time ago he'd be sacked.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
It does surprise me how quickly Potter took the job and seemingly negotiated to get all the coaches out within 24 hours. Even with a release clause.

Potter is a details man, Chelsea under Boehly is a work in progress with many unknowns in terms of appointing various roles still open at the club. He must have had a lot of questions answered very quickly to move in the way he did, so presumably there has been some sounding out in advance I imagine.

It took us 2 weeks to secure Potter didn’t it ?

Reddleman

May 17, 2017
Well I for one appreciated this letter, very few managers who depart a club takes the time to write something so comprehensive.

I’m disappointed he’s gone but it is a huge opportunity for him, one he had to take. If it had been to a Villa or Newcastle I would have been raging but English coaches don’t get offers top six very often to say the least.

As for the moaning about Bruno and Roberts, he didn’t force them to leave, he offered them a chance and they took it, that’s on them, not him. He didn’t owe us anything, arguably they did, anger should be directed where it’s due.

That letter gives me some closure and now I’m excited to see whose next.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Apparently the Italian system is that a manager can only manage one club per season. Sounds like a plan and include all coaching staff and executive team such as Ashworth, Barber etc. Suggestion for PB?

usernamed

Aug 31, 2017
Good sentiments which I partly endorse. For me it isn't personal and I can separate the good man from the shoddy act he performed. However, I dream that we can maintain our great form and smash Chelsea home and away this season

Absolutely. TBH Chelsea have been one of my least favourite teams for a while, and I usually hope they lose whoever they’re playing, but our new manager will be an instant hero if we can stick it to them in both games this season.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Little is more than the nothing you know.

Shut up for once.

Some of us have very close contact with people in and around the club. We may just know a bit more than someone like you.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
It does surprise me how quickly Potter took the job and seemingly negotiated to get all the coaches out within 24 hours. Even with a release clause.

Potter is a details man, Chelsea under Boehly is a work in progress with many unknowns in terms of appointing various roles still open at the club. He must have had a lot of questions answered very quickly to move in the way he did, so presumably there has been some sounding out in advance I imagine.

It took us 2 weeks to secure Potter didn’t it ?

Swansea initially refused permission for Albion to talk to Potter hence delay. Albion granted permission to speak as soon as it was asked by Boehly and Chelsea agreed to pay the exit fees.
There’s a good timeline of how Wednesday played out here https://theathletic.com/3576054/2022/09/08/tuchel-sacking-chelsea-potter/?source=user_shared_article

willalbion

May 8, 2006
London
Pretty decent goodbye that.

Draws a line under it for me. He did a good stint with us.

Time now to wish him a short tenure with Chelsea before England come calling in December.

Yep - time to move on. Cheers for a great 3 years.

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here