Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] An open letter from Graham Potter

Derbyshire Seagull

Oct 21, 2005
Call me a cynic but I do not believe that he didn’t already know exactly what was about to happen after the Leicester game.

Yes. I am convinced this had been planned for a few weeks at least, given the speed and the fact that Potter allegedly convinced all the others to jump ship in a few hours.

I don't blame him for taking the job but the way he did it was shabby even by the very low standards of the football industry.

Anyway if he didn't want to be here then better he has ****ed off and we can move on from a position of strength at least.

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
And then he comes back for our players......

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
I will take that at face value, and will choose to believe he means every word, because if I don’t I will hate him, and he’s been excellent for the club.
Hating him won’t erase the pain and angst over the last few days, or make me feel any better, life’s too short.

I’m actually starting to get excited currently about the two front runners for the managers role.

UTA

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Yes. I am convinced this had been planned for a few weeks at least, given the speed and the fact that Potter allegedly convinced all the others to jump ship in a few hours.

I don't blame him for taking the job but the way he did it was shabby even by the very low standards of the football industry.

Anyway if he didn't want to be here then better he has ****ed off and we can move on from a position of strength at least.

If it was planned for a few weeks, Chelsea would have sacked Tuchel and took in Potter a few weeks ago and he wouldn't go to London twice in two days to negotiate.

I'm guessing that when Boehly said £60m and a five-year-contract for you and £xm or £xxm for the others in the staff, who you by the way is free to bring, there just wasn't much to think about and the whole thing was done swiftly.

Could be wrong obviously but considering the performance against Leicester, it didn't really give the impression of a side with a coach who had his thoughts elsewhere.

Lever

Feb 6, 2019
'God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
Courage to change the things I can,
and Wisdom to know the difference'.

I totally get and share the sentiments of frustration, anger and resentment expressed by some on here; I absolutely understand and share the more emollient responses to the open letter. It's a paradox.

But we can spend more time, emotion and effort attempting to deal with the emotion, rationalise it or disown it. But in the end we can do nothing about it.

That lingering disgust feasibly could contaminate and damage our prospects this season. And beyond.

Looking forward, putting faith in Tony Bloom and Paul Barber and getting behind the team is something constructive that we can do.

Let's get on and do it.

By the way, when Potter comes to the Amex I think booing either him or any of the rest of his team would be self defeating for a number of reasons. A deafening silence would express it all beautifully for me.

Last edited:

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
It's a well crafted message, probably sincerely meant in many ways. But for me, no message can fix the timing, the (apparent??) suddenness, the departure of Bruno and Ben too. I noted that (yes, I'm still cynical) he managed to mention our victories over Tottenham and Arsenal to please his new fan base...and he forgot to mention the booing after Leeds... shocking memory that:albion2:

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
If it was planned for a few weeks, Chelsea would have sacked Tuchel and took in Potter a few weeks ago and he wouldn't go to London twice in two days to negotiate.

I'm guessing that when Boehly said £60m and a five-year-contract for you and £xm or £xxm for the others in the staff, who you by the way is free to bring, there just wasn't much to think about and the whole thing was done swiftly.

Could be wrong obviously but considering the performance against Leicester, it didn't really give the impression of a side with a coach who had his thoughts elsewhere.

Really??!!! Manager sacked in the morning and meeting lined up for the afternoon with the new one and you think that was the first time a discussion had taken place??

As we are seeing from our process to replace him things take a bit longer than that in football even if you have a target in mind.

My feeling is Potter and Brighton probably knew about the approach before Tuchel knew he was off as would take Albion to consider and accept permission for him to talk to Chelsea and Potter would also need to talk to family and sound out the backroom team on the move.

This was an incredibly swift appointment I cannot believe the first it started was the morning of Tuchels departure

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
He's met somebody else and gone off with them. It will hurt for a bit but all will be forgotten when we meet the next bromance.

PS the beard always was a mistake.

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London

Utter poppy cock!

Spacegull

Sehr Kosmiche.
Feb 22, 2009
High Weald
If he‘d just taken the crew he came in with, I‘d find the sentiments expressed to be more authentic.
Eviscerating a club of its senior coaching staff 6 games into a season relegates this missive into the realms of platitudinous drivel.
Emotional intelligence my arse.
Anyhoo, onwards and upwards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
Really??!!! Manager sacked in the morning and meeting lined up for the afternoon with the new one and you think that was the first time a discussion had taken place??

As we are seeing from our process to replace him things take a bit longer than that in football even if you have a target in mind.

My feeling is Potter and Brighton probably knew about the approach before Tuchel knew he was off as would take Albion to consider and accept permission for him to talk to Chelsea and Potter would also need to talk to family and sound out the backroom team on the move.

This was an incredibly swift appointment I cannot believe the first it started was the morning of Tuchels departure

Another conspiracy theorist! They had their target and moved quickly, that’s all. Nothing else.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden

Chelsea is not particularly well-run, the club is leaking everything happening inside. From all the dressing room stuff and internal communications stuff that has leaked, I know more about Boehly and Tuchel than about my own mother. I don't see a world where they've discussed sacking the manager and discussing with a new one without it all leaking in public.

Boehly said Tuchels sacking wasn't a consequence of the Zagreb game. I call bullshit and believe he just didn't want to come across as fickle.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here