Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] An open letter from Graham Potter

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
With regards to Potter taking all our of players, I think most of them will be a level under Chelsea when you consider the war chest Potter will be given for the next couple windows, they will be shopping in Harrods.

I know managers like to bring in players they know and trust

Caicedo is he ready to step up Chelsea? I dont think so YET, he needs regular week in week out football which I doubt he will get at Chelsea.

Sanchez, is he really going to take Mendy's spot? No chance, I would be happy for part ex if that's who Potter wants as his number 1.

Trossard, top class on his day but there are no 'on your day' at Chelsea, you need to be firing every week, the club and fans would demand prime Hazzard years and that's naturally who he would be compared against if he went.

Ali Mac, a worrying one but again I don't think he is world class yet, not every week anyway. He has those days, like last week but hes not a regular KDB, Dybala, Bruno Fernandes etc he could be at in the future but I don't see him leaving yet to sit on the bench at Chelsea.

What I'm saying is, I don't think we have to worry about Potter poaching our players yet.

Saying that, we know Potter does like to buy players and bed them in slowly and if they are offered 200k + p/w to do that with a big signing on fee, they may choose to go.

Had wondered whether he will be the one to get something out of Lukaku next season

RowZ

Sep 12, 2022
The Potter decimation of our club.

Ok - one can move to a better job when doing well - but this is VERY different because:

1) Took many of the staff - BHA legends too.
2) 6 games into best season ever.
3) Building something really special - real legendary success was highly possible - statue stuff.
4) It is VERY obvious Potter and Chelsea have been colluding for a while....impossible to prove - but not hard to assume.
5) Sport is very different to office jobs - there are fans with emotions and dreams of success.

Some interesting quotes:

"Maybe need a history lesson" - after organic and normal boos after no win in 12 games / no home goal in 3 months.

"Integral" - Potter is ultimately a service-to-self sociopath, far from integral.

When Chelsea visit there should be mass venom towards the Chelsea ex-BHA staff. We are seen as a small club / soft fans - but we have been ditched and decimated. Basically Potter sees our success as not important - and our potential demise as no issue.

The idea fans will clap Potter is weak, defeatist, lacking in dignity, and pathetic. Like clapping the wife for cheating on you.

I for one hope there is mass venom - Bruno shouldn't really be walking the streets of Brighton ever again.

When Chelsea visit we will get to see what sort of club/fans we really are.

Bloom will learn from all this, and toughen up, and tighten up contracts. He lost this poker hand - and was All-In....blind.

I want Potter to lose every game at Chelsea, get sacked - and slag about for a Championship / PL relegation club....and never find what he had here ever again. What I want for Bruno would get me banned.

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
With regards to Potter taking all our of players, I think most of them will be a level under Chelsea when you consider the war chest Potter will be given for the next couple windows, they will be shopping in Harrods.

I know managers like to bring in players they know and trust

Caicedo is he ready to step up Chelsea? I dont think so YET, he needs regular week in week out football which I doubt he will get at Chelsea.

Sanchez, is he really going to take Mendy's spot? No chance, I would be happy for part ex if that's who Potter wants as his number 1.

Trossard, top class on his day but there are no 'on your day' at Chelsea, you need to be firing every week, the club and fans would demand prime Hazzard years and that's naturally who he would be compared against if he went.

Ali Mac, a worrying one but again I don't think he is world class yet, not every week anyway. He has those days, like last week but hes not a regular KDB, Dybala, Bruno Fernandes etc he could be at in the future but I don't see him leaving yet to sit on the bench at Chelsea.

What I'm saying is, I don't think we have to worry about Potter poaching our players yet.

Saying that, we know Potter does like to buy players and bed them in slowly and if they are offered 200k + p/w to do that with a big signing on fee, they may choose to go.

He also has ZERO previous for raiding his old clubs. He has NEVER signed a player that he has managed before. I believe that Cucurella will be the first with that honour. He won't touch our squad, he'll be looking for a much higher calibre of experience to bring in and rely on Chelsea's academy to bring through youngsters. I think we can kiss goodbye to having those Chelsea gems jump ship to us going forward.

GoingUp

Aug 14, 2011
Sussex By The Sea
He also has ZERO previous for raiding his old clubs. He has NEVER signed a player that he has managed before. I believe that Cucurella will be the first with that honour. He won't touch our squad, he'll be looking for a much higher calibre of experience to bring in and rely on Chelsea's academy to bring through youngsters. I think we can kiss goodbye to having those Chelsea gems jump ship to us going forward.

This is true. Although we were the biggest club he's managed and had the best crop of players, so I guess there is more chance him poaching from us than previous clubs.

They also all have experience of playing in the same league which is also a bonus.

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
I am truly stunned by how emotional people are over this. Maybe it's partly because of misdirection grief about the Queen, but maybe it's also people needing to calm down a bit. There's been no personal betrayal. The outrage and the sadness is ridiculous to me. I've experienced real loss, and a manager leaving for one of the biggest jobs in the country isn't it.

The letter is fine, the sentiment is nice. Move on.

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
Im not holding on to grudges - whats done is done now....BUT, I hope GP remembers this bit of his letter IF things start going a bit pear shaped at Chelsea, & he finds himself in the hot seat..

"Not every team selection or decision has been perfect. But the club has created an environment that gives you the scope to make mistakes, learn from them and then improve"

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
This is true. Although we were the biggest club he's managed and had the best crop of players, so I guess there is more chance him poaching from us than previous clubs.

They also all have experience of playing in the same league which is also a bonus.

Yes, though in losing Bissouma and Cucurella, I'm not sure we have many candidates for "ready made for the Champions League" in our squad currently. He'd also be wise not to bring in his "favourites" from his old club. He might have shown himself to be a bit slimy but he is also very savvy. He won't go down the Moyes at United/Fellaini transfer where it became a stick to beat him with.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003

He'd never coached at a decent level before, unless you count Swansea

Last edited:

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
I am truly stunned by how emotional people are over this. Maybe it's partly because of misdirection grief about the Queen, but maybe it's also people needing to calm down a bit. There's been no personal betrayal. The outrage and the sadness is ridiculous to me. I've experienced real loss, and a manager leaving for one of the biggest jobs in the country isn't it.

The letter is fine, the sentiment is nice. Move on.

I think it's pretty fair to suggest that we've all experienced real genuine loss, and I find comments like those (above) somewhat patronising... However, it is true that this is not comparable to real life drama - something, I'm sure, we can all accept.

However... I say again, one acting with integrity does not grasp so quickly and readily at crass opportunity. These are GPs own words and imho they're rather difficult to defend.

That said, it's been a few days now and I say bugger it - it's high time to move on.

Here's hoping we pull a blinder, and all the Potter related revisionist nonsense can be put to be bed and consigned to the history books.

Last edited:

Dutch

Aug 16, 2012
Whilst there’s some sentiment therein, the words are ill served by the actions...

And that ‘grasp’ is unfortunate... sigh. I think he could have waited and got his chance on an even better stage, perhaps with a better club or even at international level. Gone at a time that was less contentious, less disappointing, disagreeable, and less chaotic for the club he claims to cherish.

Dismantling the back room too, and claiming Tony and Paul have got this... again stretching credulity just a wee bit.

I’m sure we’ll carry on - but to consolidate top 8, it’s going to be a massive ask.

Yeah, cheers Graham :/

That's it mate. Don't begrudge him moving on but he's left us in the mire at the first opportunity, which leaves a sour taste in the mouth. It tarnishes his reputation for me. That being said he's still a great manager and I do wish him all the best. He certainly moved this club forward. Luckily we have one of, if not the best chairman in world football. It all starts at the top. Carry on.

basque seagull

Oct 21, 2012
The words from Graham Potter were IMO sincere and heartfelt.

FWIW I’ve seen the best football under Graham Potter of the 50 years I’ve been watching the Albion.

He’s a measured, intelligent, progressive individual with a social conscience (remember him sleeping out last year to highlight the plight of homelessness) and has given some us incredible memories over the last three years.

I wish him good health, good fortune and a successful career. It’s great to see an Englishman embracing education and using it as a means of improving his professional standing.

At the same time, and by all means accuse me of pettiness and a mean spirit, all of those good wishes for his career do not apply at Chelsea. May it go spectacularly tits up at the club where the owner, who knows nothing about football, appointed himself as sporting director, spent £1/4 bn on recruitment that had no logic or strategy, then having sacked the chief executive who was held as one of the best in the business, Petr Cech, who along with Tuchel was willing to face the media during the government restrictions on the club when the suits went missing, and Tuchel himself who may be a ‘difficult’ individual to deal with, still did deliver in terms of finals, trophies and a top four finish (and he has read ‘The Manual’). So Boehly is swapping managers to deflect from him own hubris. For the foreseeable future I’ll be cheering on their opponents, even if it is Palace.
This!

Sent from my LYA-L29 using Tapatalk

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
He'd never coached at a decent level before, unless you count Swansea

This isn't true. Ken Sema, Mo Barrow and Saman Ghoddos all left Ostersunds to play in the Premier League. Any of those players would have been a quality, affordable, signing at Swansea in the Championship.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

Ok - one can move to a better job when doing well - but this is VERY different because:

3) Building something really special - real legendary success was highly possible - statue stuff.
4) It is VERY obvious Potter and Chelsea have been colluding for a while....impossible to prove - but not hard to assume.
5) Sport is very different to office jobs - there are fans with emotions and dreams of success.

Some interesting quotes:

"Maybe need a history lesson" - after organic and normal boos after no win in 12 games / no home goal in 3 months.

"Integral" - Potter is ultimately a service-to-self sociopath, far from integral.

When Chelsea visit there should be mass venom towards the Chelsea ex-BHA staff. We are seen as a small club / soft fans - but we have been ditched and decimated. Basically Potter sees our success as not important - and our potential demise as no issue.

The idea fans will clap Potter is weak, defeatist, lacking in dignity, and pathetic. Like clapping the wife for cheating on you.

I for one hope there is mass venom - Bruno shouldn't really be walking the streets of Brighton ever again.

Bloom will learn from all this, and toughen up, and tighten up contracts. He lost this poker hand - and was All-In....blind.

I want Potter to lose every game at Chelsea, get sacked - and slag about for a Championship / PL relegation club....and never find what he had here ever again. What I want for Bruno would get me banned.

Hysterical drivel.

Fortunately the vast majority of our fans are a lot more grown-up, than this.

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018

Some interesting quotes:

Interesting first post. Would your friends describe you as fanatical by any chance?

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Not sure if this is in print or on video, but I won't be looking for the moment. Need to put it behind me and focus on the new team.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here