Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

All of this Anti-Henderson

Zesh Rehman said:
i mean boring that this conversation keeps coming up.

and yes them 2 blokes were shocking today, they very nearly started hitting eachother.

What stand was it in? I saw a heated debate between a few in the South Stand today.

Yorkie said:
Today's goal was not Henderson's fault. Enough people moaned that he was rooted to his line and when he comes out, Lynch make a complete cock up and left Hendo stranded.
Hendo did a brilliant save at a bloke's feet this afternoon to keep the deficit down.

I love FDM to bits and even part sponsor him but he has not been the same since his horrific shoulder injury and car crash. Those that want him back in are looking back 4 years with rose tinted specs. He is not the keeper he was.

The way I saw it the goal was both Lynche's and Henderson's fault. Lynch got caught out of position, Byfield sped past him, Henderson was too hestitant coming off his line.
I have not slagged Henderson off once on here or at matches, I feel there is not much difference between the two keepers, but perhaps after another unforced error he has made it is time to give Michel a try for a few games?

vulture

Banned
Jul 26, 2004
who me? said:
i dont want to hang him,

sell kuipers to lewes or afc,just get rid

not conference standard really,but could do a job for crawley.

how many albion managers rating him second or third choice do you need?

Welcome to North Stand Chat Mr Wayne Henderson :wave:

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
Yorkie said:
Today's goal was not Henderson's fault. Enough people moaned that he was rooted to his line and when he comes out, Lynch make a complete cock up and left Hendo stranded.
Hendo did a brilliant save at a bloke's feet this afternoon to keep the deficit down.

I think you're giving Hendo the benefit of the doubt there Yorkie. It certainly looked to me that it was the combination of Lynch and Henderson that gave away the goal today. Lynch because he lost his man, and Henderson because he he wasn't decisive about whether he was coming out or staying. I don't know if you heard the interview with Dean White on SCR, but he intimated that there were a couple of players at fault for the goal and that they "knew" who they were. Now I think it was noticeable that both the players I mentioned looked like they'd had a bit of an ear-bashing at half time, and certainly Henderson was MUCH more decisive in the second half.

Curious Orange said:
he wasn't decisive about whether he was coming out or staying.
I've read this a few times on here today and I don't get it. It was an option for Hendo to stay in his goalmouth? What, so Byfield could just run up to it and put the ball either side of him while he stood rooted to the spot in goal? :shrug:

Hendo took the only available choice he could which was to get out as quickly as possible after seeing Lynch's colossol blunder and try to make himself as big as possible and force a bad decision from Byfield.

Unfortunately Byfield is a master at putting away chances like that and Hendo's chances were always tiny, he got a hat-trick with similar one-on-ones against the Gills only last week.

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
Your spot on L1.Normally i'm the first to moan about Hendo but i thought he had a good game today and the goal wasn't his fault

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I thought he started to come and then stopped on the edge of the box and waited for the ball to bounce through to him, giving Byfield time to lob him before it reached Henderson. We may still have conceded but in my view Hendo should have kept coming and tried to kick the ball away,attempting not to give Byfield the time he had by stopping on the edge of the box.. He could have knocked the ball round Hendo and still scored but then Henderson would have been blameless. Interesting to see how quick and committed he was off his line everytime they got past our defence on counter attacks for the rest of the game and did well dealing with everything else. To me his reaction after the goal was of a man who knew he'd taken the wrong option.

Hendo has to take some of the blame for that goal imo, let's hope he's learnt from it.

Last edited:

3gulls

Banned
Jul 26, 2004
Lander said:
Can it please stop. This can't be making him get better or giving Kuipers a go in the team. So can we get behind as him, he won't get dropped.

Fair enough he made a mistake here and there but he is still our number one keeper.

COME ON HENDO

Irelands number 1!

No go f*** yourself! I hate paddies! :lolol:

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
London Irish said:
I've read this a few times on here today and I don't get it. It was an option for Hendo to stay in his goalmouth? What, so Byfield could just run up to it and put the ball either side of him while he stood rooted to the spot in goal? :shrug:

Hendo took the only available choice he could which was to get out as quickly as possible after seeing Lynch's colossol blunder and try to make himself as big as possible and force a bad decision from Byfield.

Unfortunately Byfield is a master at putting away chances like that and Hendo's chances were always tiny, he got a hat-trick with similar one-on-ones against the Gills only last week.

May it never be said that I have agreed with LI but on this occassion he is bang on with his summing up of the goal.

Arrid

Jul 26, 2004
London Irish said:

Come on really!, Henderson hesitated twice and then came again, leaving himself in no mans land.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
London Irish said:

I am not getting into a Henderson v Kuipers debate but Henderson did hesitate and that MAY have contributed to the goal.
I was right in line with the penalty area and part of his hesitation was because he was waiting to see if the ball was going to be intercepted but he still waited after that.

Theatre of Trees

Jul 5, 2003
TQ2905
London Irish said:

It's a one on one situation where the advantage lies with the attacker whether the keeper stays or goes. You are right about the possible outcome you've stated above.

As a keeper you have to make a decision to either stay or go. Henderson made the decision to go but then hesitated which allowed Byfield extra time to make his decision. If Henderson had continued he may have shut down the angle for a lob though equally he may have opened up the possibility of the ball being slid past him. The fact that he hesitated gave Byfield complete control of the situation - the stance of the body suggested to me he wasn't stopping to make himself bigger but had suddenly realised he was caught in no mans land.

As I said above whatever decision the keeper makes he knows the attacker holds all the advantages.

The rule of thumb I use is in these situations is if the attacker has the ball under control then I wait for him to make a decision, if the ball is loose and there is a chance of winning it in a 50-50 situation then I go. The worse thing you can do is start to do one thing then stop.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
if kuipers was SOOOO good, then why hasnt any team ever bought him off us?

i dont have the greatest confidence in hendo but it wasnt his fault. it was static lynch.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
mejonaNO12 aka riskit said:

i dont have the greatest confidence in hendo but it wasnt his fault. it was static lynch.
I agree.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Got to give a lot of credit to Byfield for how he took the goal, tho Henderson could have been a bit more decisive about coming off his line. He's definitely hesitant in such situations.

However, he did keep us in the game with a superb save in the second half. So no real complaints on that score.

Guess Michel's chance will come around again with the next set of European Championship games. And if he does well then, we're back to the same old quandary; does Kuipers get to keep the shirt, thereby penalising Hendo for being on international duty?

Last edited:

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
mejonaNO12 aka riskit said:

Lynch will get little blame has he doesnt have a "legend" in the wings waiting to take his place.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
Southover Street Seagull said:
That is what Dave The Gaffer said a previous Albion manager said to him during the phone-in the a few weeks ago.

I actually said this last Feb. I didn't think he was significantly better that what we had and therefore was not wise use of cash.

Unfortunately I can see why he has a stunning girlfriend if he makes love like he keeps goal - tantricly. He comes, he stops, he comes again, he stops, he comes again and then allows himself to get beaten.

However for the 90 minutes he is picked, I do support him. However there are many who dont and give him stick during the game.

The only solution is to sell one or other of the keepers and then we can stop this debate.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here