Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Advice needed from those with proper experience in gambling.

HseagullsH

NSC's tipster
May 15, 2008
Brighton
Basically I need some advice.

This summer I have spent the last two to three months focussing on gambing, trying to take it as professionally as possible.

In this time I have made £2300, £1940 of that from tennis.

Now I want to do this full time, whilst just working part time ( I have a small job) about 10 hours a week to keep money ticking over.

However I'm meant to be starting my second year at university next week.

What's your advice?

The family don't particularly like the idea of me spending so much time gambling but can't argue against my results so far. They want me to continue university and if I want to keep the gambling up at uni then that's up to me.

Personally though, I don't think I can juggle both. My degree and university life keeps my very busy and I think the betting will turn out as just a casual thing (which almost certainly leads to a loss)

Argh!

Mr Smggles

May 11, 2009
Winchester
Do not screw over the chance of Uni. Finish it off and then if you want to do gambling afterwards then fine. Dont forget about the price increases of uni so if you drop out, you will be paying a whole lot more if you were to go back.

I am no gambling pro though.

pishhead

Jul 9, 2003
Everywhere
Is this some kind of elaborate wind up? Keep betting as you are for a year and then see if you can turn over enough profit to justify it. Just because you have had a decent summer doesn't necessary translate into guaranteed profit year on year. The bets you are talking about and the levels staked are not bets of someone who would consider themselves "professional"

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
I could offer advice but know how you went about it, what stakes you use or other facets, method etc.

The toughest bit is self discipline not finding winners. I spend about 2 to 4 hours a day reading the horse racing form, you just need to find time to fit it in.

HseagullsH

NSC's tipster
May 15, 2008
Brighton
Do not screw over the chance of Uni. Finish it off and then if you want to do gambling afterwards then fine. Dont forget about the price increases of uni so if you drop out, you will be paying a whole lot more if you were to go back.

I am no gambling pro though.

That's what the parents keep saying but is it worth all this debt if I am not likely to use my degree?

On the other hand though, my "income" would not exceed the threshold if I was a professional gambler therefore I wouldn't need to pay these loans back I guess.
Gambling hardly takes time?!

It does if you want to do it properly and produce long term profits.
I hope that profit takes into account courts losses!

Ha I admit I haven't included bets on myself for fifa and footie. That takes a good few hundred off my winnings I guess!

Last edited:

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
Is this some kind of elaborate wind up? Keep betting as you are for a year and then see if you can turn over enough profit to justify it. Just because you have had a decent summer doesn't necessary translate into guaranteed profit year on year. The bets you are talking about and the levels staked are not bets of someone who would consider themselves "professional"

If you can make a profit on small stakes you can then build up to bigger stakes, hence your exposure to loss remains small as you are playing out of profit.

The_Viper

Oct 10, 2010
Charlotte, NC
I promise you this is not a good idea. I work in a bookies and we have our monitored customers, most of these do take the thing VERY seriously, some have been doing it for years, and none can afford to do it full time. It is almost impossible to continuously make a profit, and when you're on a bad run you can't afford to have nothing to fall back on, these people can afford to do what they do because they have a full time job and they're good enough to put a few grand a month on these things. My advice to you would be get your degree, get a stable job and then get into this properly if you really want to, otherwise it's going to end in tears, I've seen enough self exclusions.

pishhead

Jul 9, 2003
Everywhere
If you can make a profit on small stakes you can then build up to bigger stakes, hence your exposure to loss remains small as you are playing out of profit.

Of course, but if as suggested it is to be the main form of income then the stakes and thus the risk is a lot higher.

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
Of course, but if as suggested it is to be the main form of income then the stakes and thus the risk is a lot higher.

If you start making income the bookies will soon start closing accounts, or restricting bets. Pro-gamblers need a pro set up, runners etc.

I have not met any pro-s who have made wedge on anything else other than Horses and Poker. Tennis seems flukey to me but if hes got an angle good, but if the bookies see it they will kill it.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
That's what the parents keep saying but is it worth all this debt if I am not likely to use my degree?

On the other hand though, my "income" would not exceed the freshold if I was a professional gambler therefore I wouldn't need to pay these loans back I guess.

It does if you want to do it properly and produce long term profits.

Ha I admit I haven't included bets on myself for fifa and footie. That takes a good few hundred off my winnings I guess!

What's a freshold? Is it some kind of new wrestling move not used before!!!!

HseagullsH

NSC's tipster
May 15, 2008
Brighton
What's a freshold? Is it some kind of new wrestling move not used before!!!!

Shit that is a shocking spelling mistake from me. Never usually make such drastic errors. I can only apologise!

astevens76

Jan 22, 2010
Bristol
The last thing you want to do is leave uni. Get your degree, then you have it there for the rest of your life. I've just finished uni, a good mate of mine played a lot of poker in his time there. Made a fair amount as he was doing it, and now he's graduated he is trying to turn it into a profession for a few months to see how it goes. If it doesn't work, he can turn to his degree and start looking for a job. Fair enough carry on with some bets here and there while you're at uni, but for me the whole uni experience was just incredible. Make the most of it while you're there

rudeboy

Sep 17, 2008
dont go down this road as your end up with a proper gambling addiction. especially in running sports betting from your home computer. it will very much screw your brain up as i know from experience. your choice is a definate no brainer take the uni road pal for your health more than anything.

seagullondon

Mar 15, 2011
The last thing you want to do is leave uni. Get your degree, then you have it there for the rest of your life. I've just finished uni, a good mate of mine played a lot of poker in his time there. Made a fair amount as he was doing it, and now he's graduated he is trying to turn it into a profession for a few months to see how it goes. If it doesn't work, he can turn to his degree and start looking for a job. Fair enough carry on with some bets here and there while you're at uni, but for me the whole uni experience was just incredible. Make the most of it while you're there

Completely this. Yes you have had a good summer betting, but this is one summer and not a year or even 6 months. Its like having a girlfriend for a summer and saying right im going to risk everything on marrying her.

D

Deleted User X18H

Basically I need some advice.

This summer I have spent the last two to three months focussing on gambing, trying to take it as professionally as possible.

In this time I have made £2300, £1940 of that from tennis.

Now I want to do this full time, whilst just working part time ( I have a small job) about 10 hours a week to keep money ticking over.

However I'm meant to be starting my second year at university next week.

What's your advice?

The family don't particularly like the idea of me spending so much time gambling but can't argue against my results so far. They want me to continue university and if I want to keep the gambling up at uni then that's up to me.

Personally though, I don't think I can juggle both. My degree and university life keeps my very busy and I think the betting will turn out as just a casual thing (which almost certainly leads to a loss)

Argh!

Mate it's not a massive profit really. If it were 12-15 grand then fair enough. Its just a very good Ascot or Goodwood amount really. It's not life changing just a nice touch. Continue with you original plans.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here