Absolutely gagging for a striker.....

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Just a few people who have said the transfer market is "crazy" or "inflated" or "unsustainable" this summer.

Daniel Levy - "unsustainable"
Marco Silva - "crazy" "clubs being held to ransom"
Jose Mourinho - "dangerous fees"
Wenger - "huge inflation"

etc etc

And they are all correct, as I've said, but so what? They are the market prices, and even Daniel Levy and The Chosen One can't change them, and certainly not Paul Barber!

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Just a few people who have said the transfer market is "crazy" or "inflated" or "unsustainable" this summer.

Daniel Levy - "unsustainable"
Marco Silva - "crazy" "clubs being held to ransom"
Jose Mourinho - "dangerous fees"
Wenger - "huge inflation"

etc etc
We are not shopping in the same store as the big boys.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I think you forgot...

FAT Bloke on the internet with no experience of working in the football industry "Piece of piss"

Anyway we don't just sit on our arses making up names, or just rehashing previous players..

- Youtube.
- Wiki.
- Background music.
- New nationality.

All that has to be checked before we even get onto the tough aspect of the job.

After all of that we still have to cyber stalk said striker, find his WAG.
Google search her.
Then find the most provocative, fairly fully clothed photo of her.

It's a tough job.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Newcastle spent £114 million on new players in 2015/16, they were relegated that season. It's more important to get it right than just wave a cheque book around IMO.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
I think you forgot...

Bloke on the internet with no experience of working in the football industry "Piece of piss"

If you are referring to me... I never said it was easy and, FYI, I have vast experience of negotiating multi-million pound contracts, just not for football players, so... wind your neck in...

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Newcastle spent £114 million on new players in 2015/16, they were relegated that season. It's more important to get it right than just wave a cheque book around IMO.

Agree, but with timing also a key factor...

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
We are not shopping in the same store as the big boys.

Agreed. No £50m or £100m strikers for us god forbid.
But we are looking to buy in a store though where seasoned Champ strikers like Chris Wood apparently has a £20M fee slapped on him (he cost c £3m) and Assombalonga went for £14m (he cost c£5m). The store might be different, the rampant inflation isn't.

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
Good to see the same old posters from last year having a pop at the club for not getting the right players in. No doubt they'll be proved wrong as usual.

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
If you are referring to me... I never said it was easy and, FYI, I have vast experience of negotiating multi-million pound contracts, just not for football players, so... wind your neck in...

Ooooohhhhhhhhh get you.

I have 'immense' experience of negotiating sub 5k capital investment schemes for a 'vast' utilities company. Like you, I drive an Audi (s-line) and I am hugely and undeservingly proud of me and how utterly great I am.

You use a fountain pen, me a biro... but hey we're brother's in 'charms.'

But here's the rub. I know nothing about the player trading industry in football and (I strongly suspect) neither do you.

So wind....

Hang on; I just can't finish writing that, as I would undeniably sound like a wholly unlikable cheese dick.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Good to see the same old posters from last year having a pop at the club for not getting the right players in. No doubt they'll be proved wrong as usual.

I sincerely hope we do acquire the players the club (not just me) say they need, and sooner rather than later. the end of the window is too late IMHO, given every point will be vital. OK, Man City is a massive ask regardless of our plyer acquisitions, but in the games after that one, and before the window closes, we must be fully prepared to maximise our points haul...

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
We have had amazing defence stats and a good midfield for the past few seasons, but it's obvious we fall short in the final 1/3rd. Has been that way since the Gus days.

Its not obvious at all. Fallen short ? Since Gus; Hemed (28), Murray (23), Baldock (18), Ulloa (16), Knockaert (20) have scored numerous goals in the final third securing us 2 play offs and a promotion. And all 5 players were picked up for a total of c£11m.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Its not obvious at all. Fallen short ? Since Gus; Hemed (28), Murray (23), Baldock (18), Ulloa (16), Knockaert (20) have scored numerous goals in the final third securing us 2 play offs and a promotion. And all 5 players were picked up for a total of c£11m.

Yep, joint top scorers two years ago and second highest last year.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Ooooohhhhhhhhh get you.

I have 'immense' experience of negotiating sub 5k capital investment schemes for a 'vast' utilities company. Like you, I drive an Audi (s-line) and I am hugely and undeservingly proud of me and how utterly great I am.

But here's the rub. I know nothing about the player racing industry in football and neither do you.

So wind....

Hang on; I just can't finish writing that, as I would sound like a wholly unlikable cheese dick.

You're entitled to your opinion of course, but what really p1sses me off is those assuming that other posters on here know nothing... like EP in this case... so I put him straight... if you don't like that, well, that's your problem...

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Ooooohhhhhhhhh get you.

But here's the rub. I know nothing about the player trading industry in football and (I strongly suspect) neither do you.

So wind....

Hang on; I just can't finish writing that, as I would undeniably sound like a wholly unlikable cheese dick.

Shine on Kosh, you crazy diamond :lolol:

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
Assombalonga got 14 goals in the Champ and is a £15M striker. He is regarded by many as kind of player we should buy.
Nahki Wells got 14 goals in the Champ and is regarded by many as kind of player we should buy.
Leo Ulloa got 14 goals in the Champ and went for 12M a few years back. The market has increased since then. He is regarded by many as kind of player we should buy.

Hemed scored 17 goals in the Champ and did well in Spain. He's also an International. He's worth SIMILAR money. He's better than the names above in terms of all round game and as soon as NSC realises our BACK-UP is BETTER than the players most want to buy only to score goals, we can get on with trusting in the club.

Murray scored 23 goals in the Champ and has done well in the Prem before. He also has many recent years of excelling not just doing well and then one great year. He's old and lives round the corner. Otherwise we couldn't attract him here now let alone last season. He's MUCH better than the names above.

Chris Wood scored 27 in the league last season. Did he play upfront alone with little in the way of other players taking his goals away? They certainly didn't have a Knockhaert let alone partner for him. He would suit the type of football we play INSTEAD of Murray or Hemed but is he suitably better? Or just similar. He's not done it consistantly anywhere else previously so would be a risk but is the only player except Tammy Abraham who you could consider from Champ or lower as 'good enough' to compete with HEMED and MURRAY. Those couple of players (CW and TA) would be FAR more than 15 million. EACH. They would also have 14 PL teams chasing them as as has been stated by others on this thread, most of those 14 teams don't have a 10 goal a season PL striker. Hell most of those 14 would be pleased to have Murray or Hemed in their squads. They are spending huge money on players who might (they hope) one day be as good as Murray and Hemed are NOW.

We have a starting player at Chris Wood level who is just old and thus not worth 25M. PLUS a back up who would be the best striker in any Champ side and cost about 15M. Unless people have someone new to suggest rather than just moaning maybe people can say something origional and not the same trash as the last 6 seasons (and not name Champions League players from Germany who will go for 40 million to top 6 clubs). In those seasons we've bought CMS which was a cluster **** although yes he tried hard..... but we've also signed Ulloa, Hemed, Murray and in Baldock and Barnes had excellent CHAMPIONSHIP strikers any club there would be happy with as 2nd choice. Often for us they have been 3rd choice.

CHEER UP! We've had 5 excellent seasons from 6 and our weakest position has been as good as anyone in the Championship's! We just didn't NEED to buy 8 expensive strikers like some teams down there. We've been set there.

Now we are in the club of 14 who all want that striker to take them over the top. Other than Lukaku who came from a top 6 side to the side consistantly 7th rather than considering any of the other 13 even remotely...... who has there been? In the last 5-6 years who's done it? Let's look at THAT kind of player and topic and try to find similar. But first people need to put out some names of strikers who have achieved for non-top6 sides in the last 5-6 seaosns as I'm too drunk and wound up to off the top of my head and wasted 10 minutes ranting here already.

Sod it.....

Rank Player Club Goals
1 England Harry Kane Tottenham Hotspur 29
2 Belgium Romelu Lukaku Everton 25
3 Chile Alexis Sánchez Arsenal 24
4 Spain Diego Costa Chelsea 20
Argentina Sergio Agüero Manchester City
6 England Dele Alli Tottenham Hotspur 18
7 Sweden Zlatan Ibrahimović Manchester United 17
8 Norway Joshua King Bournemouth 16

So Josh King who had one good season after years of being shite (before BMuff 2013-15 56 games and 3 goals at a lower level). Rest all top 6.

1 England Harry Kane Tottenham 25
2 Argentina Sergio Agüero Manchester City 24
England Jamie Vardy Leicester City
4 Belgium Romelu Lukaku Everton 18
5 Algeria Riyad Mahrez Leicester City 17
6 France Olivier Giroud Arsenal 16
7 England Jermain Defoe Sunderland 15

Vardy and Mahrez in a freak Leicester side and then Defoe who's old and proven?

In 14-15 Charlie Austin was no better than what we have currently for QPR and a similar situation I feel. Saido Berahino had his big year too.

13-14 Wilfried Bony and Jay Rodriguez.

It's odd isn't it that NO team outside top 6 has the same name always banging 15-20 in a year let alone even 10 a year! Those players don't exist. GET REAL.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_top_Premier_League_goal_scorers_by_season#2015.E2.80.9316

Rant over.
Mic drop and out.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003

... all, I'm sure, true, but we are now in the Prem... we need to upgrade our strikers but, so far, have failed to do so...

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey
Agreed. No £50m or £100m strikers for us god forbid.
But we are looking to buy in a store though where seasoned Champ strikers like Chris Wood apparently has a £20M fee slapped on him (he cost c £3m) and Assombalonga went for £14m (he cost c£5m). The store might be different, the rampant inflation isn't.
the problem is with the increased revenue supporter's think every penny should be spent and therefore a £50 million player is achievable.
Most fans are a tad frustrated but understand the situation, I really can't see us spending £20 million on one player in this window. Maybe the £20 million player will came in the January window as part of our survival bid.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports