Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Absolutely gagging for a striker.....

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Anyone using Lingard as a pointer towards excellent striker signings is rapidly losing the argument. :lolol:

He's an England international, scored the winning goal in the FA Cup final (against Palace too) and is on £95,000 a week, hardly a failure.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
He's an England international, scored the winning goal in the FA Cup final (against Palace too) and is on £95,000 a week, hardly a failure.

All that happened while he was moping around Sussex, I must have missed that, I apologise.

Last edited:

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
You're entitled to your opinion of course, but what really p1sses me off is those assuming that other posters on here know nothing... like EP in this case... so I put him straight... if you don't like that, well, that's your problem...

I assumed that people on here know nothing about negotiating for football players in the present market (I didn't mention you), which I think is a fair assumption, (I suspect that applies to 99.99999% of posters on here, I'm aware of one regular who does have some experience of the industry) and you then said you have no experience of negotiating for football players, I consider myself put in my place.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I assumed that people on here know nothing about negotiating for football players in the present market (I didn't mention you), which I think is a fair assumption, (I suspect that applies to 99.99999% of posters on here, I'm aware of one regular who does have some experience of the industry) and you then said you have no experience of negotiating for football players, I consider myself put in my place.

Yeah but every deal can't be the dizzying heights of Matt Derbyshire.

Kaiser_Soze

Who is Kaiser Soze??
Apr 14, 2008
Quality strikers and goals keep teams up in the PL. Simple.

Without that against 19 brilliant, to bloody well organised, teams with their own match winners, a squad is toothless.

Turn it in. There weren't 19 well organised teams in the PL last season. West Ham for instance looked an absolute shambles. Yes, we do need another striker but we certainly aren't that far off the pace of the bottom 6-8 teams in the PL.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
He was okay, didn't stand out, but wasn't in the Best/Obika/Paynter class either.

When talking of shitehouse players, the list of AMEX era strikers after Lingard is considerably longer than the names ahead of him.

Hardly a resounding success for the club if a top player was only 'ok but didn't stand out'.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

At this juncture, can I put my hand in the air here. I can offer no insight in to negotiating for footballers, however last night I negotiated the stairs after a night out, successfully I may add. For that I'm very proud..

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
When talking of shitehouse players, the list of AMEX era strikers after Lingard is considerably longer than the names ahead of him.

Hardly a resounding success for the club if a top player was only 'ok but didn't stand out'.

He was 21 when he came to the club, decent enough loanee, helped get us into the playoffs under Oscar.

In today's market United could expect £20 million for him at least I would expect, given that City are about to sell Iheanacho for £25m to Leicester (and I would love it if we were in the market for him, but he only scored 4 EPL goals last season).

Bra

Feb 21, 2009
patcham
For whatever reason the two most important signings needed for me, cm and cf have yet to be made and that's disappointing. The one thing I don't get is that prices and wages will come down as we near the window. Could you not say the opposite may happen by the simple law of supply and demand as agents clubs etc know how important this player is. We apparently have a list of targets which we have been working on for a number of years and yet we are waiting or hoping for a change in the market before moving. I hope it doesn't cost us.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
He was 21 when he came to the club, decent enough loanee, helped get us into the playoffs under Oscar.

In today's market United could expect £20 million for him at least I would expect, given that City are about to sell Iheanacho for £25m to Leicester (and I would love it if we were in the market for him, but he only scored 4 EPL goals last season).

I don't understand the fascination as to who Lingard has become.

Pravda sighted him as one of our top 6 forwards. (a list which needed padding out with a winger)
I replied with a 'blimey charlie' exclamation.
You yourself said he was ok but didn't stand out.

The point is nobody has said fook off x,y, & z were all better than Lingard.

What Lingard, and Wood for that matter, have become is completely irrelevant when discussing the dearth of AMEX era strikers.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I don't understand the fascination as to who Lingard has become.

Pravda sighted him as one of our top 6 forwards. (a list which needed padding out with a winger)
I replied with a 'blimey charlie' exclamation.
You yourself said he was ok but didn't stand out.

The point is nobody has said fook off x,y, & z were all better than Lingard.

What Lingard, and Wood for that matter, have become is completely irrelevant when discussing the dearth of AMEX era strikers.

Has there been a dearth? In six years at the Amex we've had Murray, Hemed, Ulloa, Barnes, all did pretty well for us, especially as have played one up front on many occasions, and they helped deliver three playoffs and an automatic promotion, on a reasonably tight budget.

CMS flattered to deceive, Hoskins, O'Grady and Manu were disasters. Loan signings varied between okay and Leon Best.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
It really is a miracle that we achieved promotion with no strikers. Sure, Murray and Hemed score goals, but is that really what we classify as a striker?

Oh, it Is?

Well, I'm stumped

Bra

Feb 21, 2009
patcham
It really is a miracle that we achieved promotion with no strikers. Sure, Murray and Hemed score goals, but is that really what we classify as a striker?

Oh, it Is?

Well, I'm stumped

That's the thing though. We did score goals in the championship but the challenge ahead is significantly harder. Without doubt we need better up front and I would be surprised and worried if we did not achieve this.

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
Has there been a dearth? In six years at the Amex we've had Murray, Hemed, Ulloa, Barnes, all did pretty well for us, especially as have played one up front on many occasions, and they helped deliver three playoffs and an automatic promotion, on a reasonably tight budget.

CMS flattered to deceive, Hoskins, O'Grady and Manu were disasters. Loan signings varied between okay and Leon Best.

Just looked and we have signed and played 22 first team strikers since going to the Amex.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Newcastle, unsurprisingly, are following their latest lead from NSC / the albion and trying to sign Lucas Perez.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Barnes isn't an AMEX era striker, we all know Brighton & Hove Albion is 2 very different clubs.
So now we're down to 3, CMS, Hoskins and perhaps Baldock all add an injury variable to the equation.

3 strikers, 2 of which currently playing, 30+ strikers used - dearth is as good a word as any.

Esp considering that both Albion clubs have always been able to shite out top flight centre backs :lol:

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
This thread isn't half as kinky as I imagined it would be.

I was intrigued to see who the OP was gagging for. My money was going to be on Murray (he looks the type).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here