Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Absolutely gagging for a striker.....

bWize

Nov 6, 2007
Struggling to get the right one in for the right price maybe. I'm sure I sound like a broken record but there really isn't many 10 goal experience PL strikers we could go and get. We could go abroad and try and lure a decent one in. We maybe lucky where we get one in from abroad who really hits the ground running but those stories in recent premier league times seem few and far between. I have no doubt we will sign someone but I think anyone expecting much better that a 1 goal in 4 game return is going to be very disappointed

Agree with your post, it just seems we still have the Championship spending mode enabled. I'm not saying we should do a Palace and spend 100 mil+ on players like Benteke and Cabaye etc but we do need to sign an exceptional number 9 if we are to stay up this season. I am confident we have the defence and midfield pretty much sorted, but we would go down through lack of goals as things stand. It's vital we get a top striker in, even if we have to break the bank a little.

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
World Top 10 Football Leagues
NO# LEAGUE POINTS
1 SpainSpanish La Liga 48
2 England Premire League 47
3 germanyBundesliga 42
4 italyItalian Serie A 37
5 PortugalPortuguese Liga 35
6 FranceFrench Ligue 1 31
7 hollandDutch Eredivisie 27
8 argentinaArgentine League 21
9 BrazilBrazilian Serie A 20
10 USAMajor League Soccer 20

It's Spain and Germany we need to be looking

martin tyler

Jan 25, 2013
Agree with your post, it just seems we still have the Championship spending mode enabled. I'm not saying we should do a Palace and spend 100 mil+ on players like Benteke and Cabaye etc but we do need to sign an exceptional number 9 if we are to stay up this season. I am confident we have the defence and midfield pretty much sorted, but we would go down through lack of goals as things stand. It's vital we get a top striker in, even if we have to break the bank a little.

I still expect us to splash some cash on a CM and again on a CF. Both are essential to us staying up. We will get both as well along with a RB and GK. We will no doubt break our transfer record on a number 9 and I expect that unless it is Negredo on a loan then we will spend £15/20 million on one. However no one is coming in that is likely to bang in 15-20 goals over a season unless the recruitment team pull a gem out the bag. Sunderland had a 15 goal striker, boro a 9 goal striker but they went down as those players got very little assistance in the goal scoring department (although sunderlands case they also couldn't defend for toffee).
If we can bring in someone to get 10 goals over a season for £15/20 million I'm saying that we have done bloody well

martin tyler

Jan 25, 2013
FWIW the news says he's going to Leeds or Swansea.

So the rumours say. £6.5 million is a decent price. Wages maybe an issue but I personally think he would be worth the money. Can lead a line on his own and with the right service he could score more than the 9 from last year. If he did the business like Llorente did for Swansea and can score the goals that keep us up then great. And we have recent good history with a lot of our Spanish signings although not them all

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent

Who is this exceptional number 9 you speak of, maybe we could let Chris Hughton know!

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
No you're not a bed wetter, you are a depressingly boring, yet consistent poster, who even when things are going right seems to believe the wheels are about to fall off!

Thanks for that. Do you think they're going alright at the moment?

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
Thanks for that. Do you think they're going alright at the moment?

Maybe, just maybe Chris Hughton and the team know better than we do... it would appear we are being set up to play one man up front, in which case we have 3 recognised strikers to fill that role, Murray, Hemed and Baldock. My concern would be that Baldock is fast becoming Brightons very own sicknote, so that does need to be looked at.

Failing that I really don't know who you want us to buy, that isn't someone else's cast off, i.e. Not good enough, as is the accusation against Murray, or spend millions on an unproven player, just because we have the money.

This season is all about consolidation and cementing the club in the Premier League and not about gambling millions to possibly destroy the club.

It's a big picture, holistic thingy approach, and not a spend or bust approach! Sort of like Arsene Wenger's approach but on a smaller scale :lolol:

rocker959

Jan 22, 2011
Plovdiv Bulgaria
Maybe, just maybe Chris Hughton and the team know better than we do... it would appear we are being set up to play one man up front, in which case we have 3 recognised strikers to fill that role, Murray, Hemed and Baldock. My concern would be that Baldock is fast becoming Brightons very own sicknote, so that does need to be looked at.

Failing that I really don't know who you want us to buy, that isn't someone else's cast off, i.e. Not good enough, as is the accusation against Murray, or spend millions on an unproven player, just because we have the money.

This season is all about consolidation and cementing the club in the Premier League and not about gambling millions to possibly destroy the club.

It's a big picture, holistic thingy approach, and not a spend or bust approach! Sort of like Arsene Wenger's approach but on a smaller scale :lolol:

Well said .

boik

Other problem I can see is there are not that many 10 goal a season PL strikers that have played in the PL that are going t come to us. Having looked at the last seasons stats all the 20 goal plus strikers play now for a top 6 side, those 15 goals plus bar Benteke, Llorente and King are also top 6 sides but we could not afford any of those 3 anyway, 10-15 goals, Defoe went on a free on mental wages, but the rest are also again top 6 sides, bar Vokes and Deeney who again we would not have any chance of getting in.
Next on 9 only one who is likely to be available is Negredo. We could potentially get him in. Scored 9 PL goals last year in a side that created very little.
So we are either going to have to be very lucky with signing a striker who makes a massive break through in the PL or sign someone like Negrado who may well score 10 goals but it will mean we would need others to chip in acrossr the park with some significant numbers.
Stop using logic! You know the nsc whingers don't understand it. They seem to think the club doesn't want another striker.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
To evidence how the market for strikers is overpriced, this summer we have seen Boro sign:

(1) Assombalonga for £15 million, last season he scored 14 goals in the Championship (Hemed, who many have already decided is shite, scored 17 the previous season)
(2) Ashley Fletcher for £6.5 million, he has scored 1 (one) goal for his previous club West Ham
(3) Martin Braithwaite for £9 million, he scored 12 goals in France last season.

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton

If we go into the new season playing Murray, Hemed or Baldock as a stand alone striker we'll be doomed from the start, however much it pains me to say so. None of these strikers has the necessary strength, skill and guile to cope on a regular basis with the quality of defenders that we'll come across in the Premier League. I don't doubt that the club are aware of the fact that we need 2 new strikers and are trying to get these players in but whether or not we're prepared to pay the going rate to get deals across the line is another thing. I sincerely hope we do because like all of us I don't want our stay in the Premier League to be confined to one long and painful season. Investing sufficiently in the squad will not guarantee success but what it will give us is a fighting chance. At the moment we look as weak as a basket full of kittens up front.

Conelli98

Dec 18, 2016
As I stated last night at 20.04 on this thread and re affirmed this morning my monies on Negrado coming here. Heard it at hospitality on Friday at county ground!

Last edited:

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
If we go into the new season playing Murray, Hemed or Baldock as a stand alone striker we'll be doomed from the start, however much it pains me to say so. None of these strikers has the necessary strength, skill and guile to cope on a regular basis with the quality of defenders that we'll come across in the Premier League. I don't doubt that the club are aware of the fact that we need 2 new strikers and are trying to get these players in but whether or not we're prepared to pay the going rate to get deals across the line is another thing. I sincerely hope we do because like all of us I don't want our stay in the Premier League to be confined to one long and painful season. Investing sufficiently in the squad will not guarantee success but what it will give us is a fighting chance. At the moment we look as weak as a basket full of kittens up front.

Club are going to buy a new striker and have said so publicly and have a month to do so. Club are looking to spend wisely, have said so publicly but presumably means foreign striker not a UK one given inflated prices. Club have already strengthened attack options signing Gross and Brown. And club and most fans, except on here, are aware that whilst Murray, Hemed and Baldock aren't going to be enough, they aren't as "weak as a basket full of kittens" given they scored about 50 goals last season in a competitive championship.

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
Club are going to buy a new striker and have said so publicly and have a month to do so. Club are looking to spend wisely, have said so publicly but presumably means foreign striker not a UK one given inflated prices. Club have already strengthened attack options signing Gross and Brown. And club and most fans, except on here, are aware that whilst Murray, Hemed and Baldock aren't going to be enough, they aren't as "weak as a basket full of kittens" given they scored about 50 goals last season in a competitive championship.

My reference to weak was in the context of our current strikers coping with the demands/rigour of the Premier League. I don't doubt for one moment that Murray, Hemed and Baldock did very well in the Championship last season. One striker will not be enough in my view.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
My reference to weak was in the context of our current strikers coping with the demands/rigour of the Premier League. I don't doubt for one moment that Murray, Hemed and Baldock did very well in the Championship last season. One striker will not be enough in my view.

You actually said that none of Murray, Hemed, and Baldock possess "necessary strength, skill and guile to cope on a regular basis with the quality of defenders that we'll come across in the Premier League." so presumably think the club actually needs three.

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
You actually said that none of Murray, Hemed, and Baldock possess "necessary strength, skill and guile to cope on a regular basis with the quality of defenders that we'll come across in the Premier League." so presumably think the club actually needs three.
Two new strikers are required. Murray, Baldock and Hemed to be used in a supporting role to cover injuries/suspensions. I'm not that greedy. :thumbsup:

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Looked at logically, there are far more strikers gagging for a Premier League club than there are Premier League clubs gagging for a striker. Playing the waiting game for a striker should work in the Albion's favour this time around.

Why? What makes you so confident? We have consistently failed to provide even cover for Sam B, and now we need an upgrade...

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Two new strikers are required. Murray, Baldock and Hemed to be used in a supporting role to cover injuries/suspensions. I'm not that greedy. :thumbsup:
That's lucky you'll only be disappointed by 50% instead of 77%. :thumbsup:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here