Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

477 minutes without an away goal

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
Your credibility is shot imo anyway with your one eyed crusade against Barnes...
So if you don't rate a player, you are now on a "crusade" WTF!!!! Barnes has been below average in the first two games by all accounts, and where have I mentioned this? Or was my last comment on a performance,praising his performance against Chelski. If I am on a "crusade" not putting much effort in am I.

More annoying that people who have post counts in the tens of thousands, yet have probably only used less than 10 to add to a debate, and the other 26610 to tell people not very much at all. :yawn:

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
This is a Hull view of things. It appears to justify what many "moaners" are trying to point out.

"It was a gutsy performance from City, full of character and spirit against opposition who will feel they deserved something from the game. At the risk of sounding harsh, Brighton forced 18 chances of which only 4 were on target. Therein lays the problem. By contrast, City's eye for the target was in, despite creating less. It's that Premier League schooling we saw from two years ago - and the mindset Bruce will look to instil in to his players - with just 13 chances created, critically 8 of which forced saves from the opposition.

In a division of fine margins, good teams find a way to extract the best from less and crucially come up with the goods. On the opening day, the performance is always secondary in my book. The result is everything.... "

We must get someone who is sharper up front. Did Owen find a club?

Yes and it is something we all know and gus has said the club are trying to address so in this situation tell me what help does it give OUR CLUB to start getting on OUR current strikers backs?

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
What are we doing?

Ignoring pre-season games, and linking last season to this and putting so much focus on it, it creates a bigger issue than it needs to be. IMO, like.
That's what I'm doiong, as apart from fitness and sharpness, pre-season games mean f*** all. I can't remember the last time we got three points for winning a pre-season match.

I wasn't at Hull, one of the first games I've missed this year, and it was encourging to hear the feedback, but we still lost and now its 3 wins in 24 away from home.

18 shots and just 4 on target, would suggest we are having trouble breaking a side down, and that is the route of my moans. You knock the ball around the defence, you allow the other side to put 11 men behind the ball, and there's not many teams around, that can break that sort of defence down. We certainly can't! And however you want to look at it, and try and put it down to moaners on NSC or being negative, our shots on target and goal ratio does appear to back that up!

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
Yes and it is something we all know and gus has said the club are trying to address so in this situation tell me what help does it give OUR CLUB to start getting on OUR current strikers backs?
I don't think anyone should be getting on our striker (singular not pural) back. Its great Gus if finally attempting to do something about it.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Maybe having 7 defensive players in away games is the problem,this is the gus way and something he won't change:glare:

Who were the defensive players yesterday? I can count 6 inc keeper, 4 backs and Bridcutt. That makes 5 attacking players most of whom had a shot at goal.

Foolg

Apr 23, 2007
Who were the defensive players yesterday? I can count 6 inc keeper, 4 backs and Bridcutt. That makes 5 attacking players most of whom had a shot at goal.

Dicker hasn't had a goal or an assist in god knows how long. Surely you don't consider him an attacking player? He never gets forward, lacks the pace to do so, he's a sitting midfield player, much like Bridcutt but without the fight.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Dicker hasn't had a goal or an assist in god knows how long. Surely you don't consider him an attacking player? He never gets forward, lacks the pace to do so, he's a sitting midfield player, much like Bridcutt but without the fight.

He had the best opportunity of the whole team yesterday and unfortunately scuffed his shot. He set up a few attacks also.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Why worry about the lack of goals away from home just don't concede any. The formula for promotion is win at home draw away so 22 draws 0-0 will do us well provided we win at the Amex.

Buck

Through & Through
Feb 18, 2009
Not Lewes Any More
The most important thing is to be tight defensively away and do not concede a goal.

Really? Important yes. But your previous post suggests we need not worry about scoring. How many teams do you think ever get promoted by having the lowest number of goals scored on their travels?
Err, probably zero!

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Once you have mastered not conceding goals away to thus get a draw the scoring of them will come. This was how George Graham set up Arsenal and to quote Tony Adams if we dont concede we have got a point if we score 1 we might win, but we know if we score 2 away we will win.

Foolg

Apr 23, 2007
Our defense last season was the 8th best in the league.

Our attack was the 15th best. That suggests our defense only needed minor tweaks, whereas our front players needed heavily improving, or perhaps the service to them. It seems we've spent a lot of the summer solving something that wasn't actually that bad, whilst leaving our major issue untouched. Now before someone gets on my back, that's not a dig, as it's obvious how hard this striker is to find.

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
Our defense last season was the 8th best in the league.

Our attack was the 15th best. That suggests our defense only needed minor tweaks, whereas our front players needed heavily improving, or perhaps the service to them. It seems we've spent a lot of the summer solving something that wasn't actually that bad, whilst leaving our major issue untouched. Now before someone gets on my back, that's not a dig, as it's obvious how hard this striker is to find.
Im trying to argue, but in what respect was our attack 15th best last season?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here