Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] 1st Test: England vs New Zealand @ Lords

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
This is the first match Strauss has been in charge, and Cook is averaging 68 this year. Completely unrelated

Anyone can see this is the best innings Cook has played for three years. Something has happened to cause this. From a team viewpoint I'd rather have had Vaughan, but from Cook's personal perspective to have Straussy in your corner is about as good as it gets.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Think I'd like to see maybe 20-30 minutes for Cook and Ali getting their eye back in, then go into 20/20 slog anything mode. With only one successful Lords 4th innings chase over 300 in history, lets see a declaration at 350 lead or a Cook double ton, whichever comes first.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Anyone can see this is the best innings Cook has played for three years. Something has happened to cause this. From a team viewpoint I'd rather have had Vaughan, but from Cook's personal perspective to have Straussy in your corner is about as good as it gets.

I hope he's been told not to refer to him as 'Straussy' anymore.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Think I'd like to see maybe 20-30 minutes for Cook and Ali getting their eye back in, then go into 20/20 slog anything mode. With only one successful Lords 4th innings chase over 300 in history, lets see a declaration at 350 lead or a Cook double ton, whichever comes first.

Just been mentioned on the BBC website - I remember it well:

The great David Gower is ALWAYS reminded by his 'wise-cracking' colleagues in the commentary box of the 1984 Test against West Indies, before Cook was born, when he declared on the final morning and the Windies rattled off their target of 342 in 66 overs, Gordon Greenidge firing 29 fours and two sixes in an unbeaten 214 from 242 balls.

Brighton Ark

Jan 18, 2010

Might just be brotherly love, but agree with this entirely!

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Could be Moeen's Test to win, a quick 50 then a 5 for in the afternoon to mop up the tail .

pasty

Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Cook gone

Cook c Latham b Boult 162

455/7 - lead of 321

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
321 lead.

83 overs left.

We'd all love us to declare wouldn't we?

Still only 4 runs an over needed though I guess, which this NZ could get on this surface.

Come on NZ bowl us out to make a great final day!!!

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Cook is so defensive minded.

Sending the no.11 out shows NZ that we're scared they can make this score. Why not show some real confidence, show NZ we believe we can win this match and declare. Lets get at them!!

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Bit silly sending Anderson out.

He's had to get into all his pads, now get out of them. Could have been just stretching and focussing in the dressing room. He's going to be key for the rest of the day.

Great performances there though. So pleased Cook has a massive score going into the summer. I may not agree with his captaincy decisions, but as an opening batsmen in form, he is a monster. Great knocks from the middle order too.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
478 all out.

345 or 10 wickets for the win in 76 overs.

All four results are possible.

Has there been just 2 tied Tests in the history of test cricket? Not sure I'll be putting much on it, but certainly still possible! :thumbsup:

pasty

Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Bit silly sending Anderson out.

He's had to get into all his pads, now get out of them. Could have been just stretching and focussing in the dressing room. He's going to be key for the rest of the day.

And of course could have taken a nasty one and hurt his hand and stopped him bowling. I bet in the same situation the Aussies would have sent down some really nasty deliveries.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here