Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] 1st Test: England vs New Zealand @ Lords

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
Hope he bats better than he keeps wicket as extras were the 3rd highest score in the 1st innings. To answer your post no 315 I understand it from way back when I sat in front of the TV from 1st to last ball in a 5 day test. Perhaps you can explain why Ali who was good enough bat to be chosen to open in 1 game should drop down to come in at no 7.

Have you watched any of the match? Buttler has been widely praised for his performance, believe it or not.....

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Have you watched any of the match? Buttler has been widely praised for his performance, believe it or not.....

No I havent as I refuse to pay for sky but I am going on the stats 67 extras is a joke the likes of Evans Murray and even Stewart would have nightmares about. I will however be happy if we can score another 100 runs.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
No I havent as I refuse to pay for sky but I am going on the stats 67 extras is a joke the likes of Evans Murray and even Stewart would have nightmares about. I will however be happy if we can score another 100 runs.
Sums you up - you ramble for hours without actual facts. The ball was keeping low, spinning sideways and swinging massively. Buttler was praised by all commentators including Ian Smith, the former wicketkeeper as well as Matt Prior. And based on a scorecard you slag him off and refuse to back down when presented with details from people who are actually watching. Especially ironic when you are banging on about 'experts' on the PNE thread and pretty much any other thread where someone disagrees with you.

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
Hope he bats better than he keeps wicket as extras were the 3rd highest score in the 1st innings. To answer your post no 315 I understand it from way back when I sat in front of the TV from 1st to last ball in a 5 day test. Perhaps you can explain why Ali who was good enough bat to be chosen to open in 1 game should drop down to come in at no 7.

If you used to sit in front of the TV from 1st to last ball of a 5 day test match, you must have surely seen some of them at Lords.
Lords is well known to be probably one of the hardest test grounds in the world to bowl and keep wicket of because of the slope of the ground.
You are as usual, spouting a load of crap about something you know sod all about.
Butler kept wicket extremely well in this test, taking two superb diving catches down the leg side.
If the bowlers drift off line down the slope to leg side, a clip off the pads will go further and further away from the keeper because of the slope.
This may explain the 34 leg byes.
So does that make him a poor keeper if the bowlers bowl wide deliveries.
You seem to know the same amount about cricket as what you do about goalkeeping.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

No I havent as I refuse to pay for sky

FFS

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
It may well be the way the ball is moving etc nowadays but I can never remember so many extras in a test match and even leg byes were stopped or reduced by the agile keepers of the past. I do not profess to be an expert on cricket just an interested observer from my younger days.

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
Godfrey Evans agile..............you must have a terrible memory or a vivid imagination

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Close of play on day 4.

England 429-6 leading by 295... a great effort today, led from the front by Captain Cook 153* :clap2:

All four results still possible tomorrow.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
This knock from Alistair Cook deserves praise. He's in the best touch he's been in for some time. He's eliminated the cover drive and is playing properly straight, rather than towards slip. The last time he was set up like this, he scored mountains of runs. If Cook bats well, England tend to post big scores as players can bat around him whilst he accumulates.

Stokes knock was more Pietersen then Pietersen. A brilliant day of Test cricket

Now, will England give New Zealand something to chase? I don't see the Kiwis having any problem surviving for 2 and half sessions if they are bat out of the game. I can see them getting into trouble going for something.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Cook deserves credit but is it any coincidence his form has picked up since Straussy's got the Director of Cricket gig?

I still think England needed to resolve the Pietersen situation and get him back in the team in order to compete with the Aussies. I have to say Ali's handling of the short pitched delivery makes him a non-starter as a Ashes opening bat.

Ben Stokes knock was special, that's the sort of form that will concern the Aussie bowlers.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
With all results still possible it should be a really interesting days cricket today. I say should be though, because all I can see happening in reality is England batting too long and the match petering out to a bore draw.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
It may well be the way the ball is moving etc nowadays but I can never remember so many extras in a test match and even leg byes were stopped or reduced by the agile keepers of the past. I do not profess to be an expert on cricket just an interested observer from my younger days.

Are you an expert on anything? Apart from spouting nonsensical bollocks.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
As they mentioned on Sky yesterday, I think Cook's return to form coincides with him stopping playing 1 day cricket.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Will be interesting to see Cook's mentality today.

Will he go for the win by dangling a carrot, or will he be happy to absolutely secure not losing this match? Of course, a good spell this morning and that decision might be out of his hands.

I'd consider myself very positive in cricket terms, but we really can't afford to lose matches in the build up to Australia. That said, winning a match like this would be massive. I think he's got to be cautious, but just give them enough that they have to think about a chase.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here